I'm not into EV Cars, but this is great! - Honda E

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
I still love the burble of a nice engine, although I like the idea of combining new and old technology, such as adding an electric turbo or 'crank assist' to reduce MPG and increase power!

Anyway, I saw this yesterday and normally I just browse over EV cars as unless it is a Tesla, they usually look like cheap, plastic bumper cars, but I think Honda have done a brilliant job with this:

2020-honda-e-prototype-109-1562089969.jpg

honda-e-2124.jpg

The dash is pretty special. :shock: :mrgreen:

c3.jpg

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/honda-e/overview.html

Apparently capable of 130 miles, so real world, 100 miles? £3.64 to charge in 4 hours or 30 minutes to charge to 80% on a fast charger.

Oh and it's also RWD with the engine in the back!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

It reminds me of the Mk1 Golf, or perhaps what VW could have done with the Polo?

I’ve got a plug-in hybrid and am very happy with it, the range on fully-electric is only 20 miles (28 on the book) but that’s enough to get to work and for the weekends, and it only takes 4 hours to fully charge on a domestic 3-pin plug, less if you have the proper charging point installed. The torque from the electric motor is great, so when not saving the planet it does 0-60 in 6 seconds and the road tax is peanuts. The technology has come on in leaps and bounds, but now the price has to come down to make it appealing, and the infrastructure of charging points needs increasing.

Cool looking car, dash is sweet!

EV tech is incoming guys, boomers need to get on board :lol:

I think they should be looking at public buses to start with. Why aren’t they electric or at least hybrid? They tend to be concentrated in city centres spoiling the air quality belching out huge amounts of diesel smoke.

I went to Vancouver BC a couple of years ago. It is in the top ten of cities with the best air quality because IMO it has electric buses. (As listed by WHO ) There are still loads of massive 6litre pickups on the road but they are petrol not diesel.
In fact BC Canada has several cities in the top ten. Strangely, I thought, bottom city is Ulaanbataar in Mongolia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
I think they should be looking at public buses to start with. Why aren’t they electric or at least hybrid? They tend to be concentrated in city centres spoiling the air quality belching out huge amounts of diesel smoke.

I went to Vancouver BC a couple of years ago. It is in the top ten of cities with the best air quality because IMO it has electric buses. (As listed by WHO ) There are still loads of massive 6litre pickups on the road but they are petrol not diesel.
In fact BC Canada has several cities in the top ten. Strangely, I thought, bottom city is Ulaanbataar in Mongolia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of newer buses are hybrids, either electric or gas. Well, they are in the Bristol area anyway.

fallingoffalot said:
Hope they don't ban the sale of petrol!

I dont think they will need to. Fast forward 15 years and we hit the point where the sale of 'fuel' cars are banned, and by then, the main manufacturers will have effectively phased out the sale by about five years so the demand for petrol/diesel will have reduced dramatically. The profit margin on fuel sales is tiny, and is made up by the bulk of sale, and the shops,cafes and mini markets attached to the fuel stations. Most supermarket fuel prices are subsidised to encouraged customer loyalty etc, so I imagine that the presence of 'petrol stations will reduce hugely .... and so 'getting fuel' will no longer be a simple thing to do. From my house its 2 miles to the M5, and I pass, effectively, 4 filling stations, i cant see that being the case.

I think long term, its gonna be a right royal pita, and I suggest it will hit the classic car market massively. Just the inconvenience of fuelling up a fun old vehicle will impact the market and unless people are 'really' keen, they are gonna think 'or, I could get a EV on lease and just use it?'.

Maybe, maybe not, time will tell .... if I was sat on a few classics as a 'pension fund' I think I would look at my options ;)

A lot of newer buses are hybrids, either electric or gas. Well, they are in the Bristol area anyway.[/quote]

In Newcastle the council are going to introduce a Clean Air Zone and charge buses and HGV’s. I don’t see many hybrid buses up here. Maybe there will be soon.

As far as availability of petrol in the future in light of the latest plans to only sell electric cars by 2035, I agree that petrol stations will start to close quickly, but I believe that there will still be plenty around until ten years after that.

I can’t see we as a country will be able to only sell EV cars from say 2030, so there will still be plenty of fossil fuel engined cars around for a good many years after that. [emoji28]

Will the grid cope with the demand? If you think about the energy provided by every petrol/diesel engine being replaced by the output of power stations or solar/wind farms!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

sparkywig said:
Clem said:
Maybe, maybe not, time will tell .... if I was sat on a few classics as a 'pension fund' I think I would look at my options ;)

We'll be retired by then, Mike. ;)

Unless something unexpected happens, after the Tories stripped away my pension, I reckon i'll have 15 years to go, so I'll maybe get an e-bike for my retirement years :D

Where the electric vehicle hype will fail is haulage. I can’t see battery tech being good enough to give the range needed for a very long time. And you can’t just get bigger or more battery’s as you’ll loose payload due to weight restrictions. Unless of course they up it from 44ton.

Either way I’m not really looking forward internal combustion engines being fazed out as 1 I like old cars and 2 I’m a diesel mechanic :?

And I’m only 30 so I can’t be called a boomer :lol:

K@rlos said:
Where the electric vehicle hype will fail is haulage. I can’t see battery tech being good enough to give the range needed for a very long time. And you can’t just get bigger or more battery’s as you’ll loose payload due to weight restrictions. Unless of course they up it from 44ton.

Either way I’m not really looking forward internal combustion engines being fazed out as 1 I like old cars and 2 I’m a diesel mechanic :?

As there's no hope for a reasonable rail (or waterway) network, I guess trucks will continue up and down motorways using dirty old fuel which is then ferried about by EV's from distribution points, or something?

You millenials are always moaning about something ... :msn4: :lol:

Clem said:
K@rlos said:

As there's no hope for a reasonable rail (or waterway) network, I guess trucks will continue up and down motorways using dirty old fuel which is then ferried about by EV's from distribution points, or something?

You millenials are always moaning about something ... :msn4: :lol:

Ok boomer :msn4:

:lol: :lol:

I’ve heard a rumour this week that the ASDA where I work in Longwell Green in Bristol is closing the fuel station for a re furb in the very near future , plus it’ll be a card only filling station afterwards. Possibly setting a trend. I know that stores built this last decade are mostly card only filling station type places like in Gloucester.
Somewhere I heard something about the power stations being more profitable to run if they could spread the usage out over the whole twenty four hour period instead of peak power till tea time then a trickle overnight as they’re running down the generating equipment. Sounds
Like a perfect addition to fuel your stable overnight.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I’d have one now with the little mileage I now have. :mrgreen: