Camp Fires and planned Government Legislation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
See below post on Net about this issue. Bit concerned the ole camp fires we all like will come under scrutiny and possibly disappear :( . I have been a member of Greenpeace for 30 years so I sympathise but what about all the aircraft flights, Oil Tankers, Cruise Liners etc.

The most polluting log burner and open fire fuels will be banned as part of an ambitious strategy to tackle air pollution announced by the Environment Secretary. Michael Gove called for action on emissions from a variety of sources, including in the home, as he set out plans to reduce people's exposure to particulate matter - considered the most damaging pollutant.
The proposals, outlined in the Government's Clean Air Strategy, include plans to legislate to prohibit the sale of the most polluting fuels and ensure only the cleanest stoves are available for sale by 2022. And there will be changes to existing smoke control legislation, as well as new powers for local authorities to take action in high pollution areas.

Stoves and open fires are now the single biggest source of particulate matter emissions, according to the Department for the Environment, which intends to restrict sales of wet wood for domestic burning and apply sulphur and smoke emission limits to all solid fuels. Sales of bituminous or traditional house coal may also be phased out.

Ive not read the legislation in detail, but I'm not surprised.

I guess if you said 25 years ago that smoking would be banned in public places then you wouldn't have been beleived.

15 years ago to suggest no new petrol/diesel cars would be sold in our lifetime would have seemed incredible.

In the future, people will look back and wonder why people were ever allowed to burn any old crap they fancied without regulation? I presume the future will be using the smokeless log packs that are available? I like the idea of a traditional campfire but have to say the stinking clothes the following day put me right off.

Latest posts