Commuting Distance?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie524

Reaction score
Hi folks - just thought I'd canvas opinion. How far do people commute these days? I have the opportunity of a dream job for me at the moment but its 1hr45 away minimum. Between 55 and 67 miles depending on route, non-motorway. nearly 3 hrs by train so that's out.

That's too much right? Relocation isn't an option for various reasons including healthcare, family and the wife's job, and neither is splitting the difference half way. So it'd be me doing all the driving.

Present job is a 6/10 but this one sounds like a 9. But I don't do change lightly, have had this job since 2003 and it does me quite nicely! Finances would be the same either way.

Argh!

Help me please wise ones.

I travel 48 miles each way so a round trip of just under 100 miles. Going in in the morning takes me 55 mins. Coming home takes hour and a half. Sometimes longer. The worst was s full shut down of the M4 which took me 11 hours.

I used to have an 80 Mile round trip. It usually took 50 mins either way. But when there was an accident on the M6 once it took me 4.1/2 hours to get home. I turned back home once also when it was grid lock and booked the day off. On top of that, spending nearly two hours a day in a car is tedious and adds up over the years. I now work 11mins away by car. Which I now often ditch and walk it. I know which I prefer :D

I did a stint with about 75 miles each way for 18 months or so, financially rewarding but pretty much wiped out anything else during the week. I went from that to 25 miles each way which was lovely to start with but soon dragged me down. Now i do between 9 and 15 miles each way, 99% of the time by cycle. Love it. :D

I was commuting 10 miles each way when I worked at the quarry which was 7am till 4pm, when I was in the workshop or machine operating I’d be home by 4.30 everyday but as I was also a lorry driver for them I’d often be quite late home if I got stuck in traffic. Money was ok, only did Monday-Friday and tbh I really enjoyed the job but was no chance of progression there

Now I’m an engineer at Felixstowe port which is great as I live in Felixstowe, it’s 5 mins by car or 10 mins if I bike which I often do. I work 4 7am-7pm shifts then get 4 days off so I only really work 6 months of the year, 5 if I take all my holiday plus it’s the money side of things has transformed my life. My past jobs have only been 22k a year as an hgv mechanic but at the port my wages have more or less doubled :shock: plus it’s a really interesting job which is an added bonus. Can’t imagine working anywhere else now due to the amount of time I get off and the money. Regarding your situation, unless your wages are gonna double I’d stay where you are. The commuting doesn’t seem worth it imo.

When we last moved house it made my commute become 45-50 miles each way which I took as acceptable at the time as the house was worth it. After 5 years the traffic just got worse and worse and more and more time was wasted sat in the car everyday so I changed jobs. Still do the same job (that I really don't enjoy, but it pays the mortgage!) but I commute on foot to my office above the garage and log on remotely to the office 245 miles away. Makes the crap job far more acceptable...except you get given a multitude of chores to do like washing etc!!
Long commutes are ok for a while but gradually eat away at you and really get you down...be warned, time is very precious ;)
Cheers
Al

I regard myself as fairly lucky, in as much as I spend 20 mins leisurely walk to work and home again in the evening.
Pippa unfortunately does a round trip of about 30 to 35 miles a day, not the worse.

I used to be a gas engineer on the road and could spend up to 6 to 8 hours daily on the road. Not good.
Then I changed to my present job and I have to admit to enjoying being a Gas Lecturer.
I do however take issue with my employers and am known to voice my opinion rather strongly.
Its a family run business so extremely difficult at times. Not much that can be done about it though.

For me its all about convenience at the moment. Position of house is so good and when the kids have gone
permanently, then we will probably move and I will end up having to travel again. For now though stick with
Better the devil you know. :lol: :lol: (I am South African so do tend to speak my mind and upset them :lol: :lol: ).

J & P
:D :D :D

All very wise words, thanks all. With regret I think I'll have to let this one go :?

You're right though, life is too short to spent it all in traffic. It's not just that, but it's having to get to bed early to be able to get up early the following day - so effectively your evening is eaten into from both ends.

thejinx said:
I travel 48 miles each way so a round trip of just under 100 miles. Going in in the morning takes me 55 mins. Coming home takes hour and a half. Sometimes longer. The worst was s full shut down of the M4 which took me 11 hours.

same here but im on empty motorway as im up v early and home early. so it takes about 45mins, i caught myself doing 120 the other day had to ease it back a bit.

Latest posts