Cobb recipes... post your yummy discoveries here for all to enjoy!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisavx

Reaction score
I'll start with venison stew....

Using a cobblestone and the wok (two handled frying pan type thing)

Fry off some diced venison in a bit of olive oil and a few teaspoons of ras el hanout. Add onion and cook for a bit. Chuck in some sliced new potatoes and some carrots. I cheated by using a Coleman's beef casserole packet thingy cos I didn't have anything with me to thicken it up. Throw some quartered mushrooms in and nearly half a bottle of shiraz/red wine of choice and cook until the potatoes are soft. Check sporadically and top up with water if it's looking a bit too thick. Drink the rest of the wine whilst waiting then slop into bowls and serve.

I'd have liked some juniper berries or redcurrent jam to chuck in but couldn't get any. It was still pretty tasty.
30e1e980dd726701393a610e7e392be7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i roasted a whole leg of lamb in mine the other day rub we half a garlic clove all over then sear the meat on the hotplate poke holes in the meat put in sprigs of rosemary, pour some red wine in the bottom with rosemary thyme and garlic(this helps keep the meat moist and flavoured) put the roasting grill in and cover. keep checking and topping up the red wine with water (or wine) hour and half hours later roast lamb soft and tender. while that is cooking i sliced some potatoes real thin and shallow fried on the ring boiled off some veg and a little gravy

yum yum

Now I've had a cople of chances to get use to the Cobb, I hope to add to this thread with some yummy scrummy!!!! :)
Stews, home made pizza are a winner.

Just need them blocks to last longer!! :lol:
Coal is good but getting the correct amount and being able to control the intensity of the heat I must learn!!!.... as well as getting the coal to actually light!!!?? :lol:

Cobb did you say....
Just a couple of pics. Haven't used it much over the last couple of years, bit of a faff when you're solo dining.

It's good for a "Cobb" breakfast. Bacon, mushrooms, eggs and potatoes, just need to parboil the potatoes the day before.

Or just breakfast.

And you can boil the kettle while you're having breakfast.

Talking of boiling kettles, a Trangia kettle fits perfectly for just one person..

Roast lamb, this took a while. :lol:

Roast lamb again, this time with rosemary, garlic and anchovies and roast new potatoes.

Salmon on the griddle, or en papillote with fresh herbs and lemon.

Roast beef, spiced brisket, roast hams, pizzas, etc

Curries are my favourite though.
Tandoori chicken, aloo gobi and chicken and spinach balti in this one.

One thing I have learnt though, get a temperature probe if you're roasting meat. Stick the probe through the lid vent into the joint.
It will cook quicker, as every time you lift the lid to check the meat you add another 20 minutes to the cooking time.

Beef and lamb
Rare: 55-60°C
Medium rare: 60-65°C
Medium: 65-70°C

Pork
Medium: 70-75°C
Well done: 75-80°C

Chicken: 75°C

Leave the meat to rest for at least 15 minutes (the temperature will increase another 10°C) and it will be ready to carve.

Myvanway said:
Now I've had a cople of chances to get use to the Cobb, I hope to add to this thread with some yummy scrummy!!!! :)

Coal is good but getting the correct amount and being able to control the intensity of the heat I must learn!!!.... as well as getting the coal to actually light!!!?? :lol:

I use the cobblestones or heat beads Paul, you can adjust cooking time and temp with the heat beads.

sparkywig said:
Myvanway said:

I use the cobblestones or heat beads Paul, you can adjust cooking time and temp with the heat beads.

Send us a link for them Si.

Nice 1 :D

Myvanway said:
sparkywig said:

Send us a link for them Si.

Nice 1 :D

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/fuel/product/aussie-heat-beads-4kg/1009~1009

Another good thing about head beads is that you can dunk them in water to put them out, dry them and use them again.

Stu, pasta bake, and pizza.... couldn't tell you what was in them.... I was very very drunk!!!!! :party0041:

But I will ask Tracy and add to what could be a fantastic tread! 8)

Whole chicken.

Kebabs:

Still got to master it, but its possibly the best camping item I own... Looking forward to using it this season, and trying some of the recipe's put up here. 8)

sparkywig said:
One thing I have learnt though, get a temperature probe if you're roasting meat. Stick the probe through the lid vent into the joint.
It will cook quicker, as every time you lift the lid to check the meat you add another 20 minutes to the cooking time.

Beef and lamb
Rare: 55-60°C
Medium rare: 60-65°C
Medium: 65-70°C

Pork
Medium: 70-75°C
Well done: 75-80°C

Chicken: 75°C

Leave the meat to rest for at least 15 minutes (the temperature will increase another 10°C) and it will be ready to carve.

This is a great tip, cheers Si.

Temperature probe on order! :D

Wow haven't looked at this thread for a while and it's been romping away! Mmmmmm I'm excited to give these a go!

Pizza? Do you make your own base and add the ingredients to it when raw? I'd be worried about a soggy bottom or a burnt bottom but I flipping lurve pizza so am very keen for this recipe!

That cheesy pasta looks good too. 🤤

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Pizza will be OK as long as it's smaller than the roasting tray to allow the heat to circulate and cook the top.

Did a topside joint this weekend, but forgot to take any before or after pics, just a during. :lol:

I don't have a Cobb (yet) but cook outdoors a lot. I love a BBQ but a couple of years ago bought a portable, wood pellet fired, outdoor pizza oven, called a Uuni 2S. You buy wood pellets to fuel it, light it up and about 10 mins later it's hot enough to cook a pizza in 90 seconds. I make the dough the morning we leave to go away and it will last for 2 days, a Tupperware box with passata and another with toppings and you're sorted.

Latest posts