Life choices?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting post. My wife and I decided to move to Melbourne, Australia in April 2013. In short, we moved here for 2yrs and we are still here 4+yrs later and my bus has just arrived having been in storage since we moved here.

Now reading that, you would think we're set for life. Well the longer story is that before we moved my wife was very close to here parents and two brothers with an immediate delivery of her first nephew. I too was very close to my parents and brother. My family have visited and (brother visited once with his wife, and parents visited twice). The wife's parents have visited once but two brothers havent visitedfor one reason or anothrr. Her family HATE us being here and have openly expressed this. My wife had certain issues that she has overcome since living in Australia and had grown as a person, finding her voice so to speak.

We have a great standard of living over here with the obvious improvement in the weather, even though melbourne has the worst weather of Australia. I personally think it's the best weather as it's not humid and I enjoy the cooler but more consistently dry months. The "system" here although having great room for improvement is better. Our work is much better in terms of life work balance, especially as my wife worked in the NHS in UK.

So even though life here is better we are essentially having to weigh up sacrificing the family time, especially as we will not see the wife's family unless we go back to the UK. We have been back every year until this year so will see how things go with not going back.

When not driving my lorry or building Volkswagens in my workshop I try to get down the gym 4 times a week. My other past times include being a part time alcoholic :lol:

I play mandolin in a Bluegrass band and guitar in a duo playing 'cheesy' singalong songs - we need an Early Bay band .... the Baywatchers :D

Take it from an old guy. If you are bored you are doing it all wrong. Make changes force things to go a different direction. There is an exciting world out there.

Latest posts