Myvanway rides in support of children with Cancer. (Update..)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myvanway

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to be participating (currently training..Lol) in a bike ride from Wellingborough to Skegness (86 miles) on Saturday 1st of July 2017, in aid of my friend who's son (Gerry Gent) has neuroblastoma.

Neuroblastoma is a rare cancer that affects children. It develops from nerve cells called neuroblasts.

The cancer usually starts in the child’s abdomen (tummy). It often develops in the adrenal glands, the two small glands above the kidneys, and can spread to other areas such as the bones, liver and skin.

The cause is unknown. There are rare cases where children in the same family are affected, but it does not generally run in families.

The family is currently being supported though this difficult time by a local charity http://www.niamhsnextstep.com who's family have gone through the same thing with there amazing daughter Niamh who sadly died after a tough 18 month battle with this awful disease.

Here is a link to Niamh's story:

https://youtu.be/NE3GuXuzkzQ

I haven't set up my justgiving page yet but will do soon. you can donate direct to the charity here:

http://www.niamhsnextstep.com

The charity are providing us with support vehicles, medic, and racing jerseys as well as accident insurance which is fantastic.
Please help and show your support for this amazing charity by donating whatever you can to try and beat childhood cancer.

Cheers guys.
Paul.

Gerry Gents facebook page:

Gerry Gents Journey Official Page Public Group | Facebook

My friends lad Gerry Gent.

Niamh's charity at Santa Pod:

https://youtu.be/xTBouwJB8EY

zGJv1.jpg

I used to cycle with a group of friends from Leicester to Skegness every year, we had our own charities but mine was Rainbows (Childrens Hospice) in Leicester. We would stay overnight and cycle back to Leicester the next day. I had to stop a few years ago as it was too much with my diabetes, I only recently sold my carbon road bike otherwise you would have been very welcome to use it.

Good luck and when the justgiving page is setup we will donate.

Cheers
Lee ;)

Many thanks Lee.
A road bike is what I need as my hybrid is great but not for this ride I think!?

Im going to my local bike shop next week to see if they are/would be willing to lend me one for the ride.

Paul. :D

Cheers Si..... I needs to get fit!!!! Quick!!!! :lol:

:D

I'm no Bradley Wiggins but ive done a few miles and the best advice I can give you on the bike is the lighter the better not for speed but it makes it a lot easier also make sure you have the right size and the seats set right, from my own experience these make a huge difference

Lee :D

Tried to set the page up this evening..... please let me know it works ok!?...... by sponsoring me! ;)

www.justgiving.com/paulsrideforneuroblastoma'

Hope this works?
Cheers guys
Paul.:D

Brief update.

Today I went for a ride with Martin Sheridan (who is also participating in the charity ride.)
A little further this time, we road From Higham Ferrers to St Neots and back.
It was a little hard work trying to keep up as Martin is a Professional Cage fighter and as well as being ultra fit he was on a full road bike! My bike is a trail hard tail so I did well to keep up I think! Lol
Think I'm going to change the tyres to narrower slicks invest in some spd/clip in pedals and shoes.

My local Bike shop AJ Cycles have offered to lend me a Full road bike for the event which is awesome.... although i have only ever road mountain bikes..... and BMX bikes!!!! :shock: :lol: (How hard can it be??) :?:

Ive been studying riding dietary and what to take on rides, with help from experienced riders I felt ok during and after the ride.
Hope to upit to 50miles next week abw.

Cheers guys.

Paul. :D

8)

Received our charity racing jeseys last night! 8)

Went for a short blast to Thrapston and back. (Off road/trail)

Trying to find as many hills as possible to get my way to get my legs built up for the ride...
From Wellingborough to Peterborough will be the toughest part as there are some fairly big hills, after that it flattens out.... Ive been told! :shock: :lol:

Looking at putting some road tyres on my bike ( currently have trail tyres on), and some spd pedals to help with the journey.
Need to now get some 50+ miles in as only have 4/5 weeks left!! :)

Just donated buddy you are 54% towards your target!
Pedal pedal pedal! :lol:

Update. 3/6/17

With the schools on Half term it was a good opportunity to get the whole family riding! :D
So we set off to Rutland Water for the day. It was my 8 year old Daughters firs big ride and she did really well! 8)

Update pics and maps on my Justgivin page!:)

www.justgiving.com/paulsrideforneuroblastoma'

Cheers guys.

Latest posts