The future of Diesel cars in UK

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyvanwestybike

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
79 sunroof deluxe
Are Diesel cars going to be outlawed in the future?
I run two Diesel cars one older which I would be happy to give up under a scrappage scheme
but
A Massive thing to sort out as everything runs on diesel
Trucks ,Trains ,Tractors
Hit the motorist first :roll:

Probably banned from city centres following on from London.

They've got a major problem though with lorries, delivery vans etc.. Even if the technology was available, which it isn't in a large number of applications, it'll take many years to replace the existing vehicles - you can't just manufacture x million 'green' vans overnight.

I'd see distribution depots just outside the city limits with 'green' vans doing the last few miles in and out of the city - they'd be a lot more of these than artics so the roads would be even more clogged up.

There are so many problems in doing this I expect, as you say, the private motorist will be hit first and then the can will be kicked down the road for the next government - at least the Conservatives are not as in thrall to the Greens as Labour was.

We've got a diesel Galaxy and an old C15 van which is dissolving more every time it rains so I'd be happy to trade that in in a scrappage scheme.

I think this has been led by the efficiency of petrol cars as the tech has come on miles. I remember driving a 1.6 clio 16V with 120 bhp, now you can easily squeeze more horses out of a 1.0L with the efficiency savings that comes with a much smaller engine. Add an electric motor and you can near double mpg.

The writing is on the wall, but it wont be too soon. Most daily cars will be allowed to expire naturally Id say, even for those of us not interested in a scrappage deal on a 'new' car.

As Johnny said, the efficiency to power advances of petrol cars has been outstanding during the past few years.

Latest posts