New forum....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've created a new forum for non earlybay chat so anything goes really as long as its not about bays. As mentioned in the description some topics might not be suitable for work, PLEASE use 'NSFW' in the description if this is the case. Offensive material will not be tolerated as per our forum rules so keep it reasonably clean. Happy posting!

:anim_20:

Excellent! :party0006:

A general chat section is something the forum has been lacking.

The forum is looking and functioning the best it ever has, well done Admin team :beerchug:

As a new (ish) member to the forum, and loving it btw! A general chat is a great addition!
I look forward to getting to know most of you and may be catch you either at camping weekends or shows!

Scotti.

the forum icon is a nod to our Latebay cousins... :tongue0013:

and to not take ourselves to seriously.

`N S F W`
Not suitable for work, that about sums it up at the moment for me :roll: I`m an ex roofer / builder and gone into sales from cable to utilities to fund raising etc etc and I`ve done ok. My fave job was actually working for a kitchen company and I earned some rather decent dosh but they were a bunch of sharks. At the moment I`m working for a soft furnishings company and I`m just starting to like it but I`m not making much while doing it. Unusually I`m not the number one sales peep or even in the top ten which is how it normally works, and apparently I`m either the worst in the country or there abouts and I don`t quite know how this is happening, and if I stay at the bottom of the pile, I`ll be out on my ear in the not too distant future. Have I just taken my foot off the peddle maybe ? Have I lost drive perhaps ? Or have I just got too old for it ? I hit 60 last year and also packed up smoking on me birthday and i seem to have changed. So has anyone got any novel ideas about what I could do for a job, serious or daft I don`t care. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Piss taking is more than welcome :mrgreen:

As you seem pretty good with your hands why not try odd job man?

I don't know what it's like round your way but there's a lot of people who want shelves putting up and other smallish jobs that builders won't touch and they're either too scared or too short of time to do it themselves. Maybe a few small landlords, as in the number of properties rather than stature :D , could do with someone to do minor jobs for them.

Good Luck - there's something out there for you!

chad said:
As you seem pretty good with your hands why not try odd job man?

I don't know what it's like round your way but there's a lot of people who want shelves putting up and other smallish jobs that builders won't touch and they're either too scared or too short of time to do it themselves. Maybe a few small landlords, as in the number of properties rather than stature :D , could do with someone to do minor jobs for them.

Good Luck - there's something out there for you!

That's what I thought of a little while back. How do I keep the machismo out of it though? As in not taking on stuff that's gonna hurt at 60. I've been a builder / lead roofer for most of my life and ended up visiting my local Chiro more and more frequently which is why I got out initially. I'm not capable of standing back and watching someone else make a hash of things, I'll always push them to one side and show them! I love the idea and quite a few friends are saying exactly what you're saying. I know I'd struggle with the small scale of things. Thanks for taking the time to throw in a suggestion, much appreciated.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,,,,Hhhmmmpphh

I think the change is for the better Oz , don't panic there is so much little stuff that needs doing out there.
I often get asked to recommend someone for the small stuff as there is no or very little response from the boys who own companies
that advertise and just don't appear to be interested in quoting and if they are they don't pitch up.
If I hear of anything , you will be added to their list to contact, if that's what you would like?
If you suddenly take off and become number one again then just say and we slot into the holding pattern! We is here to help.
See you soon at the campout, subtle reminder about roof rack , text on the day before you leave, we are only able to leave on Saturday.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
I think the change is for the better Oz , don't panic there is so much little stuff that needs doing out there.
I often get asked to recommend someone for the small stuff as there is no or very little response from the boys who own companies
that advertise and just don't appear to be interested in quoting and if they are they don't pitch up.
If I hear of anything , you will be added to their list to contact, if that's what you would like?
If you suddenly take off and become number one again then just say and we slot into the holding pattern! We is here to help.
See you soon at the campout, subtle reminder about roof rack , text on the day before you leave, we are only able to leave on Saturday.

J & P
:D :D :D

Oh mate, that roof rack, I've put it out in an obvious place so I don't forget it. I've put it all in a box so it's ready to go, I've taken it out of the box because you can't see what it is so I would definitely forget it. I put it back in a corner so it don't get damaged, I just can't wait to get it unloaded :lol: . If I move it one more time the roof rack will get giddy. :roll:
Thanks for the thought with the jobs, i can't believe it's become such a big thing with me, years ago I would have just done it and to hell wth any consequences. I reckon I've gone soft (probably) with being off the tools so long and being in the sales life. But don't panic, looking back, I've had a meltdown about once a decade on average, at last there's no pressure on this one :lol: what's the worse that can happen, a bit of time off with summer approaching?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, don't sound too bad a plan now does it :mrgreen:

Why not try this for example:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/home-safety-and-security/handyperson-services/

Here's a quote:

"Exact handyperson services differ from place to place, but these are the sorts of jobs they can usually help with:

Small repairs - putting up curtain rails, shelves and pictures
Safety measures - fitting smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and grab rails
Home security - door and window locks, door chains and door viewers
Energy efficiency checks - installing draught excluders, radiator heat reflectors and energy efficient lightbulbs"

You'd be working on your own and it wouldn't be heavy lifting etc..

chad said:
Why not try this for example:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/home-safety-and-security/handyperson-services/

Here's a quote:

"Exact handyperson services differ from place to place, but these are the sorts of jobs they can usually help with:

Small repairs - putting up curtain rails, shelves and pictures
Safety measures - fitting smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and grab rails
Home security - door and window locks, door chains and door viewers
Energy efficiency checks - installing draught excluders, radiator heat reflectors and energy efficient lightbulbs"

You'd be working on your own and it wouldn't be heavy lifting etc..

Thanks Chad,
I like the sound of this, this could be right up my street. I'm gonna make a few enquiries as to something like this down my way. If there isn't??? Maybe it's something I could do similar.

Ozziedog,,,,,, I will follow this up. :mrgreen:

thejinx said:
Ever thought of teaching the younger generation?

I would love to think I could, but the reality is frightening, I'm already a grumpy old git and as I get older I get grumpier :lol: The younger generation would class me as a fire breathing dragon , an old fire breathing dragon. I could never understand years ago why some people just couldn't do certain things, if I could do it then why couldn't everyone? I must have been a nightmare to work for :roll: Keep the ideas coming guys, I wouldn't have even thought of that. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,, I'll stay out of that one I think.
:mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

not too many people posting i guess they only come here for the excellent advice and bay information :argue: and chat shit somewhere else?

Oh ive added a thanks button to posts so you can show your love to the OP if needed.

acspx1.jpg

I like the handyman idea. I find a tradesman will price high to either fob the job off or strike lucky and make a mint. There are always small jobs needing doing it just depends how you can price them so it's worth your while and give you a living wage.

How about Brexit trade negotiator - apparently we haven't got any - how hard can it be ....!

And setting up deals with India, USA, Aus etc - don't even need to speak European !

slow-lane-Matt said:
How about Brexit trade negotiator - apparently we haven't got any - how hard can it be ....!

And setting up deals with India, USA, Aus etc - don't even need to speak European !

sounds-good.gif

thejinx said:
I like the handyman idea. I find a tradesman will price high to either fob the job off or strike lucky and make a mint. There are always small jobs needing doing it just depends how you can price them so it's worth your while and give you a living wage.

So I might be on the look out for a caddy or similar. Maybe slam it to within an inch of its life so I won't be able to carry too much weight.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, sounds like a bit of a plan :mrgreen:

Johnny said:
not too many people posting i guess they only come here for the excellent advice and bay information :argue: and chat shit somewhere else?

Oh ive added a thanks button to posts so you can show your love to the OP if needed.

acspx1.jpg

Hi Johnny, I'm doing my best in the shit talking department :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, who'd have thought? :lol:

Latest posts