how 2 - convert your stock washer air switch to electric

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
I will start by saying that this has been done before and covered on other forums,however I thought someone may benefit from watching me do mine.there are few ways of doing this but I think this is the easiest.The principle is the same though.

I have a 69 Bay and it has had an electric screen washer fitted by the PO.The washer motor operation switch was a PTM (push to make contact) toggle switch just below the dash - very un sightly i.m.o. I wanted to retain my stock looking switch but still have the reliability of the electric washer system.

I decided to use the pushing action on the air switch and, by fitting a small PTM switch behind the push rod, the pushing action could be used to operate an electric switch....hey presto - stock switch - up graded to electric operation!

This is how I did it............

These are the tools I used...hobby tool & various attachments,measure,the PTM micro switch of course,the VW wiper/washer switch & a curcuit tester.
washer1.jpg

I bought the switches off ebay from a seller called bitsbox, I found they were just the right size & capacity.
washer2.jpg

I measured the diameter of the thread on the PTM switch - It measured 7mm.
washer3.jpg

so I drilled a hole slightly tighter (5mm) in the body of the washer switch so that the thread on the PTM switch to bite into the plastic body and stay secure. TAKE YOUR TIME at this point as once you remove the original moulding of plastic, you can't put it back, you would have to fill the hole with miliput or araldite and then re drill it and start again. Note,as you drill into the plastic moulding/casing you are obviously gutting the air switch, so you may have a few shreds of metal/spring and seals etc from the air valve come out.
washer4.jpg

After I made sure the hole was clear ( I wanted the push rod to have a clear throw when operated) I measured how far into the body of the washer switch housing the push rod came, then compared that to how far from the rear the PTM switch came.there was a bout 9mm difference, so I chopped off 9mm from the rear of the housing (where the air pipes had attached to).
washer6.jpg

....after several trial fits and minor adjustments (cuts!!!) the PTM swich screws neatly into the switch housing just at the right depth so as to be operated by the push rod on the front of the wiper switch..
washer7.jpg

washer8.jpg

I finally physically checked that it would work using a curcuit tester....
washer9.jpg

washer10.jpg

Job done! all I have to do now is either solder the connections to the washer motor or fit spade clips and re fit to Doris!

Dirty Harry said:
Very nice, i was just thinking how to convert mine but this is the way.. PERFECT!

Its good but not perfect.

However the time machine he used to bring us the photos is perfect.... ;) :lol:

Looks like a good conversion. Any suggestions as to a replacement washer bottle/pump system?

Loxy said:
However the time machine he used to bring us the photos is perfect.... ;) :lol:

DOH ! I should turn that date thing off - I always forget to set it right.

Thanks for comments guys! - Cheers - Rob

mcvw said:
Looks like a good conversion. Any suggestions as to a replacement washer bottle/pump system?

sory mate - never had to buy one, but there are a few about. maybe start a 'can you recommend' thread? :)

Thats awesome!

I have seen it done by someone else, but i think it was a bit more complicated than your method.

deffo a job for the winter months

Thanks

Mark

this looks like the right one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUSHBUTTON-Miniature-SWITCH-Push-to-make-Red-x2_W0QQitemZ320270592374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4a919d6976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AxlFoley said:
this looks like the right one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUSHBUTTON-Miniature-SWITCH-Push-to-make-Red-x2_W0QQitemZ320270592374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4a919d6976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark - that does look the correct switch,however this seller is cheaper - £2.10 x 4 inc p&p
& arrived the next day.

looks like he's away atm due to family circumstances..........http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Bitsbox-E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... QQ_armrsZ1

if you struggle getting one, let me know - I have a spare I can send you! :D

I got electric washers on my van by robbing the 2 pumps off my dead bmw :lol: took the fag lighter out of the dash (which did'nt work and i don't smoke) then fitted a simple black button switch in it's place run a live feed from the wiper switch and hey presto :D

AxlFoley said:
do you have a link for the seller, i cant find him.

Thanks

Mark

here you go Mark - back up........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-Push-Button-Momentary-Switches-sw056_W0QQitemZ290361066977QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item439ade45e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just done this mod myself - excellent instructions Doris. It all works a treat, I surprised myself with how neat and tidy it all looks!

Many thanks,
Karl

Any chance someone has some photos on how to do this? and what switch to use?

Thks!!