Rear seatbelt fixing point pictures

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
As promised, pictures of interior showing possible rear seatbelt fixing points; I can't see any on the floor though, I'm sure the keyhole slots are for microbus seats - comments most welcome... (excuse the holes - I'm getting there!)

Aslidingpillarnearside.jpg

Arearwindowoffside.jpg

Arearwindownearside.jpg

Arearfloornearside.jpg

Acentrepillaroffside.jpg

I'm pretty sure you'd have seen these points - even with your interior fitted - sorry I can't be of more help :(

Cheers - I've seen the side mounts as mine have lovely plastic caps on but the position of the floor mounts is well useful as mine are covered over with bed base et al. Many thanks - I think I'll put a general request out as someone must have put rear seatbelts in an Early Moonraker!

just seen your seatbelt post - I have a '69 Devon- have just put first seat belt in the back and will be fitting another this year ... if its like mine when you look inside the opening box/rear seat and look up inside you will see the lower mounting points. I had to remove the rear seat unit to fit the belt lower mount, using 2 of the points for a normal three-point tension belt. The upper mount then went straight into the points up on the rear pillars (usually have plastic caps as mentioned).
I will try and get some pics and post them up ...

Mike.

Cheers Mike, some pics would be excellent. When you say 'tension belt' is that inertia reel or the older sort? Also, did you have to cut your wood in any way to facilitate this? It's a case of I will if I have to as safety overides originality but the less damage the better!
I was thinking of putting a general call out as there must be loads of Devon guys and girls out there having done or thinking of this mod.

Rick

sorry I did mean inertia reel (normal modern belt bought in Halfords).

I started from the same standpont of not wanting to effect the originality of by van BUT - it will be my young kids in the back (the belts are for child seats at this stage) so yes safety has to be first - I will try to get these pics up today as I also spent ages looking for guidance on fitting rear seat belts in an Early Devon...

Cheers Mike
I've been hatching plans of how to achieve maximum 'freedom of belt movement' for minimum carnage but am extremely keen to see your workings before I have at my untouched original cabinets/seatunit with the jigsaw!

Please post pictures of rear seat belts fitted.

I am planning to put two interia belts (one each side) and a lap belt in the middle.

Have any of you had to use a new belt fixing plate?

The clocks have gone forward, the long Easter break is upon us. I'm gonna have a crack at fixing the rear inertia reels I bought from VW Heritage. Any pictures of how Moonraker seat base has to be modified/cut would be most appreciated.
Scouted about at VolksWorld on saturday but couldn't find a Devon that had been done with inertias.

cheers

Rick

Apologies for not getting pics up yet ...cant post it from here (at work) but if you check my pics on photobucket (account: 'earlybay') there is a couple on there .. will try and get them linked here tonight ... (although I only have 1 inertia reel fitted at present on the off-side so its the side without the cooker unit in my 69 Caravette ...).

268-6890_IMG.jpg

still bascially just a case of bolting inertia reel units into mount points up on the rear panel (capped off with plastic covers normally), and removing the rear wooden bench/storage seat to get to the lower mounts which are hiding just below the rear of the bench seat ...
268-6891_IMG.jpg

268-6895_IMG.jpg

Cheers Mike, just the job! I'll try to photograph my efforts step by step and post 'em up if successful. Doesn't look as much carnage required as I had feared.

Rick

How I spent my Easter.

Used your contributions and got busy.

seatbeltjob01.jpg

seatbeltjob02.jpg

seatbeltjob03.jpg

Before I cut him! All the original legs seem to be there.

seatbeltjob05.jpg

lower mounts - cheers Mike and both Justin AND Muttley, your photo's gave me info and confidence.

seatbeltjob06.jpg

seatbeltjob07.jpg

seatbeltjob08.jpg

Belts bolted in. Got 'em from VW Heritage down the road from me. Useful as they gave me the wrong fitting bolts for one of the belts but sorted it out no fuss bar a forty minute round trip. (Spot the EarlyBay stickers!)

Seatbeltjob09.jpg

Now start carefully cutting wood and aluminum double bed mount to fit.

Seatbeltjob10.jpg

Seatbeltjob11.jpg

Seatbeltjob12.jpg

careful (bricking it) carpentry to allow fit and freedom of movement for belts

Seatbeltjob13.jpg

Seatbeltjob14.jpg

got a sweat on cutting my untouched Devon interior but the kids are (just about) worth it.

Seatbeltjob15.jpg

Jobs a good'un!!!

Cheers Mike,
I was somewhat astounded that the entire rear bench was held in with 7 fairly unsubstantial screws. I'm not quite sure these would fare with the current NCAP ratings. ('bout 0.5) When I put the rear bench back in I substituted for larger, new screws which felt a bit more secure. We should never think this is a vehicle with modern safety standards and we do what we can, but if that was the only factor we would all be driving Zafiras.

Rick

Have been out and checked mine - held in place by just three screws! Cheers for the tip - my on-going job is cleaning and re-varnishing the wood and the seat unit was due to be next!

yes I thought similar when I was putting the rear belt in - also the way the rear-facing box seats are just held in by a thin metal strip sitting over a lip in the cabinet behind .. havetn worked out how to put belts on these yet - would need some fixing points putting in I think ...

thanks for the pics BTW - I need to fit a second rear belt this summer as we now have two littl'uns to go camping with ! (havent actually slept in the van yet with the kids !)

This is a really useful thread :D I have been meaning to get round to this for ages but hadn't a clue where to start, so cheers guys. I have all the points in mine so just need to order the belts :wink:

Cheers,

Kev

Just a thought, I've put the rear belts in, but the only tiny issue is if you use a car seat the belts can come up very short.

I think you can get extra length belts, I wish I had know this before I put the rears in.

T

:? Not being funny, and perhaps I'm wrong here, but a 3 point belt is like a triangle, two of the points in you van are in the same place, surely there is a mounting point missing on the wheelarches? I've just welded patches onto the arches on mine, and I seem to remember that the '72 bay I owned 15 years ago had arched strengthening plates in the wheelarches.
Wrapping the belt around the cushion will surely mean in the event of an accident, the child in the seat will swivel in the seat before coming to a halt.
Can anyone clarify this.............?

No Ivor your quite right the four fixings visible on the petrol tank bulkhead (for want of a better description) are two inners = lap belt the two outers = are the fixed clips. There should as you say be fixings on the arches as in my microbus.

From the reel vertically down then the fixed portion as stated above so the tongue draws horizontally across forming a right angle triangle.

Latest posts