• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1968 Deluxe Camper Conversion with McKinnon Interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave68

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

I have decided to put my 1968 Deluxe Camper Conversion up sale.

Before anyone asks I have ideas for a new project and can’t afford to have two buses.

Some of you may have seen the original post, which I put on the forum when all of the work was finished in September 2009. A lot of the following photos are the same as that post, but the condition is just the same.

IMG_5463.jpg

A bit of history; the bus was originally in the US with what was believed to be one owner. I have the original owner’s manual and servicing book. I bought it and imported it through Mark Walker at the Bus Station in February 2009.

Mark sorted the steering and suspension, fitting a 70mm narrowed link pin beam with drop spindles, a 2 spline rear drop and chromed Raders. New brakes were fitted all round including a CSP disc conversion at the front end and a CSP shifter. The engine is a standard single port, which hasn’t been altered much apart from two new pully wheels. Mark sorted out the original MOT and I took possession of the bus in May that year.

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

The body work and paint has been subject to 44 years of knocks and scrapes. I like it that way. So what you see is what you get. If as a new owner you wanted to make it all straight and shiny, then at least you can see what you have got, with nothing hidden under a cheap respray.

When I got the bus back home it went to Jason McKinnon at McKinnon Campers in Crowland, to have fitted what I still think today is one of the best camping interiors you will find in any bus in the UK.

Jason fitted:
A full width rock’n’roll seat with three 3 point Securon seat belts.
A sink unit with a Smev sink with glass top and a Virtifrigo 12 volt fridge.
A swing out cooker unit with a Smev 2 burner hob.
A tripod island table for inside and outside.
A rear roof locker, with fan.
All units are in cherry with alloy and black trim.
A JVC remote control stereo (MP3 / i-pod compatible).
New roof liner with lighting.
New flooring.
Fully curtained.
Option 3 electrics including 12v and 240v systems.

Jason’s work is pure quality.

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

There is lots more to the interior, so have a look on Jason’s website, as there’s loads of detail there (look for Ollie in the Gallery, it’s also on the home page), or come and have look at the bus.

The upholstery and door cards etc, were done by Chris Lyons at Trimming Tonic. Again, the quality is second to none and the brief was to keep it as close to the original deluxe interior colour and stitching pattern as possible.

Since getting the bus home all of the servicing and MOT prep has been done by Tim Glover at Roadhouse Retro near Stamford, so all of that work has been top notch.

The bus is tax exempt and has a full years MOT (from 13th May 2012).

There are lots of other nice touches such as an original Raydot spot light, a lovely wood and alloy wheel and a redesigned roof rack, which you don’t have to take off to get the bus under a standard garage door.

I’ve got all of the receipts, e-mails and documentation.

There are also the original steel wheels and a Khyam Driveaway awning, which could be included.

Price; I would like £15,995, as you would expect, it cost a lot more to get it looking like this, but on asking around this is a fair price.

IMG_5410.jpg

DavidIphone006.jpg

Latest posts