• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Dormobile

Reaction score
Time has come to sell our beloved Ruby a 1971 Dormobile Camper which has been in our ownership for the last 14 years!!
We have three not so young kids now and require something a little larger which is the only reason for selling, ruby has been subject to a bare metal respray being treated inside out out, all rot cut out, two new Californian doors fitted and is always stored in a garage and only used in summer months. Ive uploaded a few pictures,have hundreds more photos of the work and our travels. We've been off round Spain and France several times and have some great memories however now due to lack of use its time for the next person to use enjoy and take care of her.
Please don't clog the post up with comments we are looking for £28750, if genuinely interested then send me a PM

0D2B8CB8-C693-44BC-84B1-CB062071D968_zps93qpcdur.jpg

DA75157B-9DE8-489A-BB98-174BB4C29872_zpsjqcyeoet.jpg

FFE03C36-42EF-4BF3-8493-D473B9FD358C_zpsblbsm71b.jpg

42F2918A-D06B-4588-819D-97707839E869_zpsuhvlwwiy.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

531.jpg

0A6T0043.jpg

0A6T0117-1.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

image_zps6112f1b2.jpg

null_zps5b8daeaf.jpg

null_zps898430ed.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

F0CAC1F2-D221-4BD7-AA60-5C53BFB7CF8D_zpsus5d7zhx.jpg

Pictures are back, van is up for sale, time to try something new as the family has got older and bigger, pm with any interest

Coda said:
It’s actually a 72 isn’t it? It’s gorgeous either way.

Thanks yes we love the colour, being a K it's a 1971 (August) early bay with half moon air intake and the lower front indicators.

Right, I see the small rear light cutouts now. So it really must be one of the last early bays pre-crossover. Probably a week or two after yours was made I believe the '72 model year started production.

Good luck selling it, looks like a proper resto was done, something I wish I could do to my Dormy.

If I may ask - are you going to stay in the air-cooled camper fraternity or is that you done now?

Coda said:
Right, I see the small rear light cutouts now. So it really must be one of the last early bays pre-crossover. Probably a week or two after yours was made I believe the '72 model year started production.

Good luck selling it, looks like a proper resto was done, something I wish I could do to my Dormy.

If I may ask - are you going to stay in the air-cooled camper fraternity or is that you done now?

Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been on here for an age and only quickly logged in lunch time to have a look at the site and progress of peoples restos. Having had and restored beetles (55,65,66) then i imagine one day i will have another air cooled, however for the moment with the kids now 11,15 and 17 we are ready for something larger for a few years, maybe a Hymer. Had some amazing times restoring and using Ruby but it's not currently getting the use it deserves. Needs to go on some more travels like our several trips around Europe and the UK....

Bump for interest let me know....

Bump for this year, as you can see not in a massive rush to sell, van is garaged we aren't using an awful lot but if interested then drop me a PM. Kids are older we sadly aren't using Ruby as much as we once were with our trips over to France, Spain and around the UK, that said it'll be soon just the wife and me so if it doesn't go It'll stay with us and we'll tootle off as pensioners. The resto post has been updated lots of history hundreds of pics. The grandson of the original owner posted a pic of his grandfather over in France which was a lovely touch.

Latest posts