Recommend a UK campsite please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Star

Usually on a different planet
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
VW T2 Dormobile
Morning All
Still finding our feet with finding decent campsites..anyone have any recommendations please?
Anywhere in the UK...
Have booked a couple of sites (Devon & Norfolk) for the summer
However would be nice to do the odd weekend too so looking for small sites that have showers, loos, fires & electric (could live without electric for a weekend) & preferably not a huge busy site. Somewhere to just park up & stay - not travel around for weekends. Compost loos are fine.
In the southeast so sort of Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey (given that we can only travel after school on a Friday & it will take us hours to get anywhere)
Did look at some near East/West Wittering in Sussex but either there's no booking allowed or they are huge & reviews are grim.
Did look at the Sussex site that appeared on the "million pound motorhome" programme the other day. Don't think that's aimed at our van :lol:
Need some inspiration
Thank you!

Not sure what you have over your way but something I hadn’t considered until one of the rellies booked up was staying in a campsite on the river Wye with it’s beautiful fresh water beaches on the large bends, plus it was almost deserted. I think it was Hay On Wye where we stayed for a long weekend. There was a lot of swimming etc going on, canoeing where they drop you off a couple of miles upstream then pick you up in the afternoon etc etc etc. The wildlife was fantastic with large birds of prey out and about, spot some fish too and the odd deer. Never really considered a break on a river before and was wonderfully delighted. So after all that rambling on, I’m guessing you may have a decent sized river or two over your side of town as it were ;) I’m thinking anything near the coast is gonna be over busy for most of the summer, plus as you say, travelling come ‘’’lockdown breakout ‘’’ <<< (like that, I’ll use it again lol :lol: )is possibly gonna get frantic and possibly fraught. All them miles and miles of traffic jams when most modern cars have very little in the way of manners and wont socially distance most of the time :shock: Yeah chokin on diesel ain’t good :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and get a pump up kayak, cheap as In Aldi :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mr Dark Star would love a kayak. Lord knows where that would go when not in use ! I did see a site called racquety farm near Hay which looked good. Probably not for a weekend though.... https://www.racquetyfarm.com/ Have stayed at B&B's in Hay. Book shop heaven...
We have a lot of piddly streams round here which masquerade as rivers...but that is a good idea . :D

If you are looking at the south east then a few of our go-to’s are:
Rother Valley Camping, nice site, pub up the road and a decent Indian restaurant next door, fires supplied and wood delivered as required. There’s a steam railway also next door which you can take to Bodiam castle, or hire a boat OR KAYAK, and drive up the river from Bodiam boating station. They have a cafe and bar there also.
https://rothervalleypark.co.uk/

Then there’s WoWo, again fires encouraged, decent facilities and a real nice family vibe.
https://www.wowo.co.uk/

Two down the road from me mean you can camp overlooking the beach, on a clear day you can swear at France too.
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1539

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/kent/folkestone/folkestone-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI45P0qbaX7wIVCO3tCh2grw07EAAYASAAEgKbgPD_BwE

There are also various pop-ups in Kent through the summer too, quite a few in orchards on fruit farms, Fallow Fields is back to basics and lovely and chilled but from memory only opens for August.

I have the ACSI app which I use for sites in France, Belgium and Holland, but they may have UK sites also, worth a look, also Cool Camping and Pitch Up are worth a squizz.

They look good, Thankyou. Had seen Wowo but there are mixed reviews...
Use cool camping quite a bit as found the Croyde one we like there.
Also looking at Camp Elwood in Norfolk for a longer break....which is on cool camping :D

Dark Star said:
Mr Dark Star would love a kayak. Lord knows where that would go when not in use ! I did see a site called racquety farm near Hay which looked good. Probably not for a weekend though.... https://www.racquetyfarm.com/ Have stayed at B&B's in Hay. Book shop heaven...
We have a lot of piddly streams round here which masquerade as rivers...but that is a good idea . :D

Sorry to reply so late, but that is exactly the place where our families got together where we were camping, about four or five branches of the family and had a large corner to ourselves :mrgreen: The Aldi / Lidl kayaks are inflatable so just the ticket with a 12V pump. The guys that do that stuff a lot have been saying that they can’t believe how good they are for a fraction of the cost anywhere else. The other problem is, when hiring, you start in one place and then they pick you and the kayak up somewhere else further downstream, and that’s not so easy if you are all in a kayak to get back to the start point up stream! :shock: And yes, the village itself is so olde worlde and great pubs for food too, plus a co op on the other edge of town that’s easily walkable in twenty minutes or less :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,puddly streams ain’t so good. :mrgreen:

We've been to Rother Valley quite a few times now, we love it.
We used Fallow Fields a few weeks ago, great site, it has paths and pitches cut into the long grass and they have a pizza night and a forest school set up for kids on the odd days.
Rush Banks in Suffolk just north of Colchester is great but its back to basics, no pitches just find a space! If you're lucky, we were, you can be right by the river. A few miles down stream is a nice pub 👌
Dave

Latest posts