First Family Camping to France!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookie

Reaction score
SO... After having our first Dormobile stolen (http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Now have a lovely replacement Dormobile courtesy of @Blackdog follow earlybay member. Miles better than the first, everything happens for a reason hey??!

It is now the time to pack up the family and get stuck into France. Ferry is booked, and we hope to make our way to La Rochelle and back over 2/3 weeks. I've tried to bed us in slowly but as we are close to departure date a lot of places with good children's activities / pools etc are now booked.

So first question for the forum; anyone have any good recommendations of places between Caen, Mont st Michel, Rennes, Nantes and La Rochelle that you would recommend that are not going to break the bank???

Second; what sort of spares should I pack? I was thinking belts, cables, anything light that can then be easily / with some help fixed + what essential tools.

Lastly; anyone have a checklist that they wouldn't mind sharing. My wife received a checklist from someone with a caravan, but thought a T2 owner out there could have something more specific?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Great news on your replacement bus and planned holiday.
Cant help with the campsites but have a look here for some suggestions of spares to carry

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1188&highlight=spares" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Stu for digging that discussion out. Very useful. I'm sure my boys will love getting the tool box together. Now just need to do a bulk order with heritage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't no if you've booked campsite at La Rochelle but it does get really busy. if you get stuck defiantly worth a trip over the bridge to Ill De Rae lots of campsites by the beach. Have a good trip

vaughan said:
Don't no if you've booked campsite at La Rochelle but it does get really busy. if you get stuck defiantly worth a trip over the bridge to Ill De Rae lots of campsites by the beach. Have a good trip

I'll de Rae certainly keeps cropping up. I'm hesitant to not book too much up in advance just in case the old girl has a 'moment' on the way there!

Any good site suggestions on I'll de Rae?

The campsite in La Rochelle town is always busy and I would say book, there are a couple of campsites about 3 - 4 miles south of La Rochelle one has a nice pool and facilities if that's what your after.
The camping on Ill de Rea can be a bit pricy but look around we found one campsite about half way down the south side near a town but can't remember the name, it was by the beach, no fancy pool but it was cheap.
Have a look around first and get a feel of the island. It's set up really well to get around on bikes if you have them.
Have a good trip.

Thanks Vaughan. Taken your advice on board and decided to do a day trip there instead so next time we will know exactly where to stay.

Well what a trio so far....

Crossing fine...

Day trip to Bayeux small problem with carb... AA...
d1fcb37e1c62eca4d48f75d571edebb2.jpg

Gigleur en Francais apparently.... The centre pin of the below...

fea2e595899802c96333078a81030c5a.png

But Rita wasn't the only white VW camper playing up....

441aeb9e5a02776c0183fce0e2c80482.jpg

An hour later though, 'gigleur' in place again and we were back at the campsite.

3e44aa99744040e05792c309537fd08a.jpg

Trouble free today.. Missus found an ingenious use of the magnetic cover on iPad... Kids and wife enjoying dads army near Omaha beach, fitting.

f0c20c0f34473f4411d77c6a53cbec07.jpg

We just got back from La Rochelle....

We camped a few miles from LR at: http://uk.campingleverger17.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure I'd recommend it as it is near a kennels and you can hear (distant) dogs barking pretty much the whole time, but apart from that was a nice clean basic site. No pool, no bar, no static plastic mobile homes that the French seem to love...., just old fashioned campsite with small shop. It seemed to have spaces available early in the morning but was normally full by midday. Cost E25 for family of 4

It costs E16 to cross bridge to Ile De Re - we visited a nice beach down the far end by a light house

Some of the beaches have brown seawater.....

We preferred Ile D'Aix, very near to IDR, no cars on this Island - so is a day trip, ferry cost around E40 - if you go there get to the carpark by port early - it fills up and nowhere else to park ! Wife got food poisoning there ! mind any dodgy looking moules !!!

Bon Courage !

Good advice on the Moules! Near Granville / mt st Michel now and we had to walk out of a restaurant today as it just had that Gordon Ramsey vibe about it. Lots of Moules, useless staff so made call to parachute out pretty fast. Thanks for the advice on places near La Rochelle

39d3b9f4172a0bb1584679b7b84d3024.jpg

Home time... Why is it that you don't see another early bay all week then you are on the same ferry home right behind each other in the queue!!!

Latest posts