Fridge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilbo

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good fridge? Probably need something that just connects to electric.

Not a reccomendation for a fridge as such, but when it comes to it, my plan has always been to rip apart a new 12V cooler/ chiller box for its workings (they're about £35 in Go Outdoors) and fix them into my Dormobile's inbuilt insulated cooler box thingy, therby making a stock-looking 'sort-of' fridge... Have yet to fully investigate but a preliminary look suggests it should be possible, just need to mount the workings where they won't get any drips in or anything. I can't think why it wouldn't work...

Just made me think that this could be a low-cost way of making anything stock-looking into an inbuilt 12V fridge, all they are is a plastic-lined, ploystyrene-insulated box, in essence, which you could convert any cupboard into with no outward visual clues.

Just wire it so it's only on when you're driving/ leisure battery, or on a hookup!

gilbo said:
Can anyone recommend a good fridge? Probably need something that just connects to electric.

Do you want a fridge or a powered cooler? Powered coolers are the cheap option but don't work brilliantly in hot weather, a fridge that actually keeps things cold regardless of the weather is a lot more expensive.

I have a Waeco powered cooler which works well and then I use dicey Tek cool box packed with ice for the drinks and stuff. Good enough for a few days.

Dickie524 said:
Not a reccomendation for a fridge as such, but when it comes to it, my plan has always been to rip apart a new 12V cooler/ chiller box for its workings (they're about £35 in Go Outdoors) and fix them into my Dormobile's inbuilt insulated cooler box thingy, therby making a stock-looking 'sort-of' fridge... Have yet to fully investigate but a preliminary look suggests it should be possible, just need to mount the workings where they won't get any drips in or anything. I can't think why it wouldn't work...

Just made me think that this could be a low-cost way of making anything stock-looking into an inbuilt 12V fridge, all they are is a plastic-lined, ploystyrene-insulated box, in essence, which you could convert any cupboard into with no outward visual clues.

Just wire it so it's only on when you're driving/ leisure battery, or on a hookup!

Did that nine years ago.

Along with improved insulation it works fine as a big improvement to the original cool box

It keeps drinks and stuff nice and cool, stops butter melting in hot weather etc.

But it's not a fridge and can't be compared to a Waeco.

But then it only cost thirty quid to do as opposed to hundreds for a Waeco

Beaten to it!

Is that photo of the inside of the cooler box? And did you have to vent to outside/ underneath or anything?

Yes it's the inside of the original Dormy cool box.

I put in a couple of small vents, one in and one out - but to be honest, I am not sure if they were necessary or not. I should have tried without first.

Make sure you use one with twin fans - one outside and the other on the inside.

Also, cut out the unit with its plastic and use that to attach it. Don't be tempted to dismantle because if you separate the two halves of the heat exchanger they will never work properly again. (I was told this - apparently they are specially bonded during manufacture).

You can also buy separate peltier kits from EBay that work on the same principle for less than £10. I have one in original Westy Absorbtion fridge, the Absorbtion bit leaked and stopped working so I took it out.

It doesn't get to fridge temperatures unless the ambient inside the bus is about 18 degrees. It cools to about 15 degrees below ambient.

Pulls about 5-6 amps @ 12V

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

This is brilliant info, thanks all - I must admit I had assumed they 'workings' would be available independently but didn't know what they were called. Peltier kits - I assume that's the same principle as a chiller box? Will look them up, seems less wasteful than hacking a new item about!

Dickie524 said:
This is brilliant info, thanks all - I must admit I had assumed they 'workings' would be available independently but didn't know what they were called. Peltier kits - I assume that's the same principle as a chiller box? Will look them up, seems less wasteful than hacking a new item about!
Yes, I used this kit http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371210414720&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was cheaper when I bought it!

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

Hello

I use a work top fridge ( about 400mm square )

Got it second hand think they are about £100 new

240v keeps everything cold even in Spain and has a small freezer compartment

Norm :D

norm said:
Hello

I use a work top fridge ( about 400mm square )

Got it second hand think they are about £100 new

240v keeps everything cold even in Spain and has a small freezer compartment

Do you have it running when your driving?

Hello

No it's 240v only

We usually have it turned on before we leave and keep the door shut to keep it cool

Then plug it in when we arrive on site ( 240v needed obviously )

We tend to put it in the awning so if we go out the beers/wine are cold on our return

Latest posts