My first camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjHarman

Reaction score
Back in May i bought a 1970 panel van doormobile conversion. I got it off ebay, didnt look to bad, but when i took it home and stripped it down it was a different story. :shock: Im currently replacing the Chassis parts - the majority of it needs replacing. I can then move onto the body panels. Every time i do more work on it i feel more down at how big this project is.

Here are some early photos
n533867164_1266952_9489.jpg

n533867164_1266957_402.jpg

n533867164_1266960_972.jpg

n533867164_1266951_9287.jpg

Here are some more from the next day where i started stripping the van:

100_0602.jpg

100_0604.jpg

100_0612.jpg

100_0620.jpg

100_0625.jpg

100_0636.jpg

100_0637.jpg

100_0638.jpg

100_0639.jpg

100_0640.jpg

100_0641.jpg

100_0642.jpg

100_0643.jpg

100_0645.jpg

100_0646.jpg

100_0650.jpg

I dont have any more photos from the last 2 months, so ill get some sorted. But basically i have taken the floor off and cried over the chassis :cry: , all outriggers etc need replacing. Most of the main rails need replacing too. At least when the chassis is out the way i can move onto the more fun stuff?

How much does a typical restoration cost? im only 19 so money can be tight sometimes, so im just wondering!

Couldn't say exactly how much you'll end up spending but can say that it will be worth every penny and then some. Stick with it my friend and that day will come !! I've owned lots of great cars but none better than my 68.

Chin up mate,most of us have been there/are still there. Will give you something to do in your spare time.I think everyone who has so much work ahead including myself gets a bit dis-hartend every now n then. Just walk away for a few days or weeks and come back to it with a fresh head :) Dont give up and youl have a real cool bus that you built to show for it. sure any info you need youl find on here someware :mrgreen: Rich

Hoosier said:
Chin up mate,most of us have been there/are still there. Will give you something to do in your spare time.I think everyone who has so much work ahead including myself gets a bit dis-hartend every now n then. Just walk away for a few days or weeks and come back to it with a fresh head :) Dont give up and youl have a real cool bus that you built to show for it. sure any info you need youl find on here someware :mrgreen: Rich

Deffo what Rich says, when shes finnished & on the road she,ll look after you on your travels..
Stick with her & good luck
Andy

Looks like you have your work cut out there, check out haveacampers thread in the gallery as he is restoring a dormobile in slightly better condition than yours.
if you PM him he might even tell you how much he has spent so far :wink:
Is yours originally a dormobile? I ask because it looks like the roof pops up the wrong way round for a RHD. Is there fittings for a cooker behind the passenger seat?

Is yours originally a dormobile? I ask because it looks like the roof pops up the wrong way round for a RHD. Is there fittings for a cooker behind the passenger seat?

Im pretty sure it was converted (poorly) at a later date as the hole in the roof isnt really cut neatly. Would the pop top be able to go on the other way easily?

As for the cooker, there wernt any fixings when i got it. There is a big hole for what looks like a pull out magazine rack!

100_0634.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0605.jpg

100_0623.jpg

Why do you ask about the cooker?

hi DJ welcome to EB, with a project of this size i would definitely teach myself to weld, get a clarke or such welder and think of every repair as a separate item and dont look at the van as a whole, it wont look so daunting.

hi DJ welcome to EB, with a project of this size i would definitely teach myself to weld, get a clarke or such welder and think of every repair as a separate item and dont look at the van as a whole, it wont look so daunting.

Cheers! im already learning loads from looking through the forum! Luckily my dad is a panel beater, so he is showing me to weld and how to do all the different repairs. So hopefully i can crack on with it all! Thank you for all the comments :D

Quick update. Took some photos of the chassis etc so you can see the damage. Im waiting for an engineer to make half of each rail to make replacement a bit easier so i cant really do much with the outriggers and jacking points at the moment.

So ive ended up stripping more of the van down to see what else is hiding. Here are some photos

100_0947.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0951.jpg

100_0954.jpg

100_0957.jpg

100_0958.jpg

Engine is now removed, Bay isnt Tooooooo bad!
100_0960.jpg

100_0961.jpg

100_0962.jpg

Ive cleaned and primered the fire guard

100_0963.jpg

My dads project
100_0966.jpg

Im working on the small holes around the van, and might start cleaning the engine bay up until the chassis parts are ready

ill keep you updated

Respect. :shock: That's one major project.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like knowing how to weld would save a bucket load :wink:

good luck mate!

Looks like alot of work. Fair play to you, keeping another EB alive.

Wish I had the time and skill to be able to do this..

wow. thats a lot of rust.

if i were you mate i would ring one of the many parts importers like mj, volks heaven, volks magic, fbi etc and get some cuts of us vans. and simply chop off the bad bits. you can buy complete fronts, rears, corners arches etc. you could get it solid again

my van had the same sort of chassis rot and i replaced most of it with schofields repair lengths. and then improvised on the bits you cant buy.

Latest posts