My '68 Panalvan Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWZ

Reaction score
About a month ago i went to see a '68 panelvan that had sat in a shed for the last 20 years, and i ended up buying it as i really liked it, its the first aircooled vw i have ever owned, and i don't know alot about them but i did notice that the front indicators and rear lights was incorrect, the next month i spent looking trough the forums on here, and i noticed more things not being correct for it, for instance the rear airvents and the vipers.
Yesterday i went on an 11 hour drive to pick it up, and thought that i would share a few pictures :D
It is a danish car from new, and the guy i bought it from have had it since 1986, it was converted to a camper in the 70's and it was there it were facelifted also, there is a lot of rust in it, so it proberly gonna take me some years to get it in a drivable state again :lol: i would like to restore it to as close to original as i can, but im not sure if there is any '68 features left on it anymore, i think the rearview mirror is original? :)

The engine mount/mustage bar is rusted out, anyone know where i can get a new one?

It has a clock, is that normal for a panelvan?

And finally this is my dad in the early 70's thought that is kinda cool :D

Pirateringo said:
Are you sure this is a 68. It all looks like a late bay

Yes i am sure is a 68, both the vin number and m-plate match the dates on the papers, like i say in the post it has been facelifted some time in the 70's to look like a late bay, they changed the frontend and both complete rear corners on it unfortunatly, so its going to take some work to get it to look like an early bay again :(

Did they also add the engine firewall and late clutch release bearing?

StuF said:
Did they also add the engine firewall and late clutch release bearing?

Yes, the firewall is held on with multible selftapping screws and the clutch bearing probably got changed when they put a newer twinport ''AS'' engine in it, if you look closely you can see it still has the 68 push button doorhandles, and it also got drumbrakes on the front axle, the rear engine lid is also the early type, as is the bumpers. But there is no denying that it looks like a late bay, whoever did the facelift was really determined to do it right it seems, but i will make it look the right way again :)

Thats gonna be a lot of work, I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck with the project.

Ps. like the old photo of your Dad.

snow_pikey said:
Thats gonna be a lot of work, I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck with the project.

Ps. like the old photo of your Dad.

It's gonna be a huge amount of work to get it back on the road, and also looking like a '68 again, but im looking forward to driving it some day :D

Pirateringo said:

Definitely an early bay.
See the details as the dashboard in the color of the outside, the sliding door, an early early bay tacho, motor bracket (moustache) etc.
It's a pity they changed the front turning lights, back lights and even the air inlets.
But the owner does have some work anyway so changing it back to original is just an extra small job. ;)

liking the interior set-up

all the best with your restro fella.

geordie

EeVeeWee said:
Pirateringo said:

Definitely an early bay.
See the details as the dashboard in the color of the outside, the sliding door, an early early bay tacho, motor bracket (moustache) etc.
It's a pity they changed the front turning lights, back lights and even the air inlets.
But the owner does have some work anyway so changing it back to original is just an extra small job. ;)

Nice to see that someone can see past the lights and airvents to what this really is :D I agree that it is a shame that they changed the front and rear end on it, and much worse is that they dident bother to grind of the old lip so i got at triple panel seam in the back :shock: But i will put it back as close to original as i can, provided i can find and afford the correct panels for it :)

geordie said:
liking the interior set-up

all the best with your restro fella.

geordie

It's called a Poba interior, it was made in Denmark in the 60's and 70's, and was pretty popular as you could convert a standard panelvan into a camper :) It has the cooking unit in the rear end and the middle folds down as a bed, not the most practical if youre a tall guy :) And thank you :)

mine originally had a similar window cut in the back to this, good luck with the rest :)

Gustav_t said:
Any progress?

Not much im afraid, i have started taking it apart, stripped the interior out, taken the engine apart, and i haven't really found any usable part yet, the gearbox is worn out completely, the engine is cracked, the fuel tank is rusted out, and the body is in much worse state than i thought, the joy of restoring cars i guess :)

I have some other things going on in my life right now so i have put it on the shelf for a little while, but i haven't given up on it yet :) I'm finding parts and such for it

I have some more pictures that i will upload later :)

Loads of work mate but totally worth it. I feel your pain, keep pushing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy that someone went to all that trouble to face lift it . but i suppose at the time is no different to people doing it to T5 vans etc

And finally this is my dad in the early 70's thought that is kinda cool :D
[/quote]

Awesome! Just check out that matching jumper......

good luck with the rest - a red and yellow colour scheme might look good on it?

LowLightTone said:
Loads of work mate but totally worth it. I feel your pain, keep pushing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, i'm not giving up on it, rusty as it is i love my bus, and i have a dream of driving it along the coast of europe one day :D

marmite monster said:
crazy that someone went to all that trouble to face lift it . but i suppose at the time is no different to people doing it to T5 vans etc

I dont understand it either, but it was done in the 70's, when it was converted from a commercial vehicle to a camper, and back then it was just an old van i guess :)

Latest posts