1971 Dormobile D4/6

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Oakley

Reaction score
I've always liked Dormobiles. I've also owned nice original early Westys, Danburys and Devons, but I reckon the Dormobile D4/6 is the most practical and best looking conversion of them all.

I picked this 1971 model up last week. To date, it has covered 63,400 miles and came with EVERY piece of paperwork from new including the original Green cardboard log book, bill of sale, Dormobile brochures, D4/6 Instruction manual etc etc etc etc. I feel a story coming on....

In late 1970, Mr. Harry Brain Heyworth walked into his local VW Dealership, Hulton Motors in St.Helens Road Botlon and ordered a brand new Dormobile D4/6 conversion in Pastel White with elevating roof. He also ordered an optional locking petrol cap and for the van to be undersealed before delivery. The van was delivered to the dealership on January 20th 1971 and collected by Mr.Heyworth on January 23rd. The total price paid for the Dormobile was £1451.89 and his old 1967 Hillman Minx Estate was taken in part exchange. (I just realised that the bill of sale for the van is in decimal currency, despite the fact that decimilisation did not take place until February 15th 1971!).
Mr Heyworth, an engineer by trade, kept meticulous records relating to the Dormobile and wrote many letters to Volkswagen in the early years of his ownership, with all sorts of questions. He insisted on obtaining engineering drawings of items such as the Jupiter water pump, the Solex carburettor and the Wipac 12v flourescent lamp!! I have copies of all these corespondences and VWs responses!!
The Dormobile was in use until 1974 when Mr.Heyworth decided to remove the engine to thoroughly Waxoyl the engine bay. At this time, the van had covered just over 40,000 mies. Unfortunately, he suffered a heart attack at this time and didn't touch the Dormobile ever again. I don't know how long Mr.Heyworth was around for after this time, but I do know that the van lay dormant with the engine removed until 1997!!
Mr.Heyworth's elderly widow wanted the van out of the way so she contacted the local VW dealership. They came around, collected it.
The garage apparently re-fitted the engine and put the van on their forecourt for sale. Well known VW buff, Ron Brown from Gateshead found out about the camper and purchased it. After a good clean-up, it was sold to another well know Northerner, Brian Burrows. He kept the van for a few months before selling on to a chap called Keith Herbert from Croydon.
Keith and his wife Maureen used the van for several trips to the Alps and really took care of the van. The cushions were re-upholstered and the curtains replaced (the originals were kept). In their ownership, a Mains Zig unit was also fitted along with an alternator and electronic ignition for reliability. In April 2008, they finally decided to sell the Dormobile with 63,400 miles on the clock.

A few of the panels have been resprayed where they had been scratched or scraped, but the van is one of the best original British Bays I have ever seen. The interior needs to be seen to be believed!!

DSC04158.JPG

tn_dormobile1.jpg

tn_dormobile2.jpg

tn_dormobile3.jpg

tn_dormobile4.jpg

tn_dormobile5.jpg

tn_dormobile6.jpg

DSC04093.JPG

DSC04095.JPG

Awesome van 8) . Do you know if the roof rack is an original Dormobile item? I have the exact same rack on my 72 dormobile so just wondered if it was original or not?

And I can vouch for its superb original condition, having had a good look around it yesterday when I picked my Danbury up! A beautiful bus indeed! The Danburys and Dormobiles are such fab conversions! 8)

Rich, if my memory is correct those original curtains would be orange...... although maybe yellow was offered too? :D

First you show us some amazing original unrestored Danbury's that left me drooling and now this :shock: !!!!!........ I can't take it!

You certainly do have a knack for finding amazing buses..... do ya wannna find me one?

Congratulations to you!

Dave M said:
Awesome van 8) . Do you know if the roof rack is an original Dormobile item? I have the exact same rack on my 72 dormobile so just wondered if it was original or not?

I don't think the roofrack is original.

I also used to own another Pastel White '72 D4/6 Dormobile. I found this other one in Newhaven, East Sussex in 2005. It was a bit rough around the edges, but it had never been welded and had the complete D4/6 camping interior in really good condition. I didn't keep this one too long. It got sold to a nice chap called Mike Willis from S.Wales. I wonder if he still has it?

DSC02541.JPG

DSC02543.JPG

Lovely Bus, had a feature in Volksworld about 6?? years ago, might see if I can dig the copy out and scan it!

mattyd72 said:
Lovely Bus, had a feature in Volksworld about 6?? years ago, might see if I can dig the copy out and scan it!

I re-read that feature a couple of months ago (as I was looking for a dormobile cooker and it had a good picture of one). If I remember right, the story went that the VW dealership totally screwed the widow when they bought it off her, but the bloke that bought it from the dealership got them to give her some extra money.

Looks absolutey mint - congrats on getting your hands on this one.

Rich,

Great looking Dormobile, actually spotted this one my self and saved it as a screen saver!!!!
Anyways still have PBP 116K as posted and all is moving ahead slowly but surely on the spruce up you may be interested to see the attached which I'm updating.

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=446518

71Dormobile said:
Rich,

Great looking Dormobile, actually spotted this one my self and saved it as a screen saver!!!!
Anyways still have PBP 116K as posted and all is moving ahead slowly but surely on the spruce up you may be interested to see the attached which I'm updating.

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=446518

Mike,

I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams that PBP needed that much work! Guess you never know until you start digging! Looks like you're doing a great job- keep us all posted!

Rich.

dp said:
mattyd72 said:

I re-read that feature a couple of months ago (as I was looking for a dormobile cooker and it had a good picture of one). If I remember right, the story went that the VW dealership totally screwed the widow when they bought it off her, but the bloke that bought it from the dealership got them to give her some extra money.

Yep, that's correct.

The van has a great story behind it and the amount of paperwork, receipts etc that came with the bus is unbelievable!

Rich Oakley said:
dp said:
mattyd72 said:

Yep, that's correct.

The van has a great story behind it and the amount of paperwork, receipts etc that came with the bus is unbelievable!

Just found the issue in my giant stack of old mags, September 2001 :shock: time flys eh

Looked through the classified ads and there is a 13 window deluxe that needs a sill repair for a grand! prices have gone up a bit since then, anyway heres the scanned feature quality is a bit ropey sorry

2008-04-23-1921-07.jpg

2008-04-23-1922-47.jpg

2008-04-23-1924-07_edited.jpg

Matt

Sorry no idea about the floor mate. But i gotta say that is one sweet Dormobile!! I had a 69 dormobile a few years back and that pop roof is the best out there. It is now being restored by one of the members on here.
Great find, you lucky bugger :wink:

Rich Oakley said:
Dave M said:

I don't think the roofrack is original.

looks like a Karmann Konnection one - I had one too - and on a Dormobile - and the same colour!!!!
where can I find out more on my Dormy i.e. model/layout etc

Latest posts