1971 - YRY483J -Restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philstar

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel van
Roof Replacement

OK guys I'm about to start work on my bus, I bought it with the pop-top removed and a LOT of rust all hidden by white-painted gaffa tape...

I finally have time to focus on this now, and I already have a genuine roof cut waiting to go on. Initially I had hoped to simply remove the old roof, repair the gutters and spotweld the new roof skin in place, but the gutters are totally destroyed so I am going to have to cut into the pillars.

Additionally, both rear quarter panels are shot to bits, so I will replace these before doing anything else at all.

I can only work on the bus at weekends as it is not stored indoors, but I will try to upload progress pics each time I work on it.

Today, I spent some time crying, and the rest of it inspecting the condition of the rear.

IMG_20130503_200454.jpg

The roof, photo taken a year ago after temporary cover fitted.

IMG_20140913_102537.jpg

The rear quarters today, after a good screwdriver session. Rust continues throughout...

Next steps are to get hold of a pair of rear quarters - either genuine late bay panels or clean cuts from another bus.

WOW :shock: Some serious work will be required to save this one :?

What's the chassis like? If that is as bad I would seriously consider not bothering as you will be chucking a lot of money at time at it!

Ahhh stop stop stop! Let's all be positive! Every panel needs work, but the sides just need some repair, maybe a new front panel.

This is definitely the worst of it, I think a lifetime of sea air hasn't helped it. Once the rear is replaced and the roof properly sorted out I don't see anything structural to wind me up.

IMG_20130503_200443.jpg

Front panel has rust around the headlamp bowls and seams

Don't be disheartened!

That looks like the exact same colour as my old van!
I tip my hat to you for taking on such a big resto :D
I look forward to following your progress!

I've got a lot of respect for owner/builders of genuine UK buses, myself included! :lol:

I had to do a lot of small repairs on my gutters and rear clip. Not as bad as yours though. I'd seriously consider the rear clip posted above.

Have you taken your belly pans off and had a good poke around? Looks like front arches need work?

Seems it's a converted panel van. Was that recon engine included too?

Lots of fun to be had with the angle grinder and welder.

Graham at Midland EarlyBay is close to you if you want some professional opinions face to face.

Will keep watching. All the best.

Jim

Fair play to you for taking it on, you understand the work and happy to accept it so its all good.

I had a bus in a sorry state too, but once you've accepted all you can see, and where it will end then its a goer. Nothing is impossible if you believe it.

Here's my rebuild thread up until disaster hit (out of my hands) spent 2 years of mostly weekends and some evenings working on it, although i did have the benefit of a 4 post ramp every now and again.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep the faiith

Cheer yourself up by looking at mine!
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers fellas, I'll pop in and see Graham later this week, I work literally 2 fields away! The rear clips look a good shout - I got my roof from the guys at FBIVW.

Yes it is a converted panel van, there is rust all over to be honest but I'll just tackle it one step at a time. The belly pans are missing but I've given it a right good whacking underneath and there's not a lot of movement.

I bought the engine from eBay, it's a recon that hasn't been used for about 20 years! Was returning a decent mpg until a massive oil cooler leak so I'll get it balanced while the bus is off the road. I've already had the petrol tank out and de-rusted it and cleaned it all, sorted a vintage speed exhaust and spent some time on the electronics, it was my daily driver for a year until the oil leak.

Also guys I posted in the technical section a question that some of you may have missed:

philstar said:
Hey can you guys tell me the difference between the Genuine Late Bay Rear Quarter Panel as sold by the likes of Schofield, JK etc and the original early bay?

Is it just the rear light holes and the vents being a squarer shape?

I need to replace both of, and if this is the only difference then I was considering patching genuine late bay panels with my light surrounds and moon vents as the original metal is strong in these areas.

Is it a viable option to replace with late bay genuine rear corners?

Early and late corners are too different. It's not just the vents and lights but the overall shape too. Lates are "squarer" while earlier corners are much rounder in profile.

Ah man... well I guess I don't have a decision to make now! Cheers dude.

Philstar keep your eye on ebay I did see a whole rear clip last week went for £250 there are 2 early rear corner cuts on there for £99 each but look a bit rough .

Good luck Tony.

philstar said:
Ahhh stop stop stop! Let's all be positive! Every panel needs work, but the sides just need some repair, maybe a new front panel.

This is definitely the worst of it, I think a lifetime of sea air hasn't helped it. Once the rear is replaced and the roof properly sorted out I don't see anything structural to wind me up.

IMG_20130503_200443.jpg

Front panel has rust around the headlamp bowls and seams

Don't be disheartened!

That looks like a lot of work! Not sure how long you've had it but there's a video on Youtube by a guy called Martijn Roodenburg called "VW bus T2 Slideshow", and your bus is on there just over 30 seconds in.

Awesome I'll check it out! Had it for 2 years so not long :)

Latest posts