Wee White Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score

Well almost a "say hi" post, but this what we bought today!

After travelling a brave few miles, lots of wading through ads and too much reading when I should be working, a little pm popped into my inbox from a wanted ad.

Purchased from Chris (passion 4) here on the forum, who took a brave decision to not only sell his lovely westy, but took the wise decision to do things right!

Here's the resto file: ( seo invoice on the way Chris ;) )

http://www.vdubxs.com/let-the-stripping-begin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got some beaches to visit with the family, ale to be drunk.

So now that I'm officially a paid up member of the vdub club, who do I pay this scene tax to?

Just one more, I'll get plenty more shots on her travels. The paint job was well executed.

Bare metal, high build primer, flattened back, top coated, at least three coats of silky ICI L87 Pearl White, polished.

So in the garage for 2 months :shock:

A new late bay steering box was fitted using a newly machined Litesteer plate to accommodate it. New steering coupling and a late bay horn fitted into the OG steering wheel. Brake servo going in this week until I have the cash for discs.

Cleaned up the dashboard and inserted a very nice Sapphire radio. Wasted money on fancy Meguiars stuff when Jif would have done the job I'm sure.

1776 rebuilt engine finally arrived today, original tinware looking very shabby, so off to the powder coaters for that.

SS Bluebird exhaust ordered today, expect that to arrive in about a months time.

Still no idea what's going to happen with the interior, spent half an hour staring at a TMI swatch.

Next job, try and decode the M plate!

Being parted from her has been tough.

magoo said:

So in the garage for 2 months :shock:

A new late bay steering box was fitted using a newly machined Litesteer plate to accommodate it. New steering coupling and a late bay horn fitted into the OG steering wheel. Brake servo going in this week until I have the cash for discs.

Cleaned up the dashboard and inserted a very nice Sapphire radio. Wasted money on fancy Meguiars stuff when Jif would have done the job I'm sure.

1776 rebuilt engine finally arrived today, original tinware looking very shabby, so off to the powder coaters for that.

SS Bluebird exhaust ordered today, expect that to arrive in about a months time.

Still no idea what's going to happen with the interior, spent half an hour staring at a TMI swatch.

Next job, try and decode the M plate!

Being parted from her has been tough.

Hi Gary,

Still looking sweet! :D Glad you got the engine sorted, wanna pm me the details… 8) With the brake servo fitted, you will probably find you may not even bother with discs! Told you, interior colours are difficult to choose! :lol:

M Code decoder…
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW; just found another £1,300+ :shock: worth of receipts for the camper, do you want me to email them over for your history file?

Ooooooo shiny shiny. 8)

Paint I can only dream off. Be scared to park it anywhere
Lovely bus. Love to know if the fitting the brake servo makes a massive difference as still contemplating the move to discs

Lee

Lee152 said:
Love to know if the fitting the brake servo makes a massive difference as still contemplating the move to discs

Lee

Go with the servo first and see how you get on, to borrow 'cunning plan's summary:

"In my opinion:

Drums all round = bad
Drums back, discs front = better
Drums all round + servo = even better
Drums back, discs front + servo = Best"

Sounds like a good cunning plan to me.

Being from Cambridge assume you will see my mate running around in his Samba or Canterbury Pitt. Sees a bus and cant help himself! :roll:
Told him to stick a Westy, cant go wrong.

Lee

Hi Chris! How's the splitty hunting going? Aye email the receipts cheers.

Yeah got my m code earlier, but it doesn't make sense...

According to all the technical information collected by the samba/ bustopia, L87 Pearl White isn't a 1969/70 colour. L87 is a 67-68 colour.

What colour is Westfailia Campmobile? Beige, Tan or Saddle? Saddle appeared to be the closest to my interior.

Lee152 said:
Sounds like a good cunning plan to me.

Being from Cambridge assume you will see my mate running around in his Samba or Canterbury Pitt. Sees a bus and cant help himself! :roll:
Told him to stick a Westy, cant go wrong.

Lee

I've got three late bays around the corner from me. Couple of White Westys passing through. I've only seen one grey split panel van around here, lowered, chromed and alloyed...it's a show winner.

magoo said:
Hi Chris! How's the splitty hunting going? Aye email the receipts cheers.

Yeah got my m code earlier, but it doesn't make sense...

According to all the technical information collected by the samba/ bustopia, L87 Pearl White isn't a 1969/70 colour. L87 is a 67-68 colour.

What colour is Westfailia Campmobile? Beige, Tan or Saddle? Saddle appeared to be the closest to my interior.

Like all things VW, slowly, but getting there! :lol:

Just emailed you the receipts…

Hi!

Lovely Westy! More pictures!

My 70 is Pearle White, have a look at my m code below and see if any difference. I see from your chassis number it is a 70, but one of your earlier pictures show the electric point in the earlier place, i.e 67-69...Maybe 70 MY, but did it in 69 at the Westy factory, hence the early electric hook up?

AFAIK my interior colours are stock, look the same as yours i think....

Cheers,

Alistair

Maybe I should call it my 69? :) Good year for music!

Little update for the diary.

The shutter of the garage is pulled up to reveal a van looking as if it's back in restoration!

Steve at Zed's Bus Garage has done a great job. While the engine and clutch is out and the Bluebird exhaust is STILL in a factory being manufactured, it seemed like a good idea to do the underseal.

Masked off; all the old original underseal painfully scrapped off for some Dinitrol 445 to be applied.

The ugly....

Very nice....

Once the Dinitrol settled, I was really impressed with the finish. I was planning to over-paint it Pearl White, but decided that it looks great just as it is. The Dinitrol 445 has a nice consistency when applied, I was worried that it would mask everything, but all the detail of the metalwork can be seen. ML3125 will be used for the cavities.

Overall nice and solid underneath, some very minor surface rust towards the back, but easily sorted. So it was a good time to treat the underside.

Didn't realize that a new floor had been put in, but very good work carried out and nicely welded.

Collected the tinware from the powder coaters, and it's looking fine. RAL 7037 Dusty Grey. :)

Latest posts