68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZedBed

Reaction score
I've had a procession of late bays over the years, but not had a bus at all for a few. In the past we always had reasonably smart shiney campers for family holidays, but now the wife's left home I can have what I like. 8)

So, it had to be early tin-top and deluxe and something slightly different in some way or other. I was looking at a 70 with a Corvair engine for about six months, but by the time I was in a position to buy, Mr6x6 on here had snapped it up and looks to be having fun with it. So....

I decided what I wanted was a dark coloured 68 tintop deluxe with the front smashed in. I don't know why. I didn't want to do too much welding, but it doesn't put me off if it's all in one place!
I looked on here and Spike had one so I bought it the next day, but just got hold of it today.

Front well and truly bashed in - just what I wanted - I could have crashed one myself, but you can't fake a proper accident and it would have felt a bit naughty deliberately crashing it. Not to mention I might have over-done it. :)

SDC13989.jpg

You can't beat a "spare on the front" bump.

The back is nice too.

SDC13952.jpg

And this side.:)

SDC13986.jpg

The problems lie within (which you wouldn't want to).

SDC13999.jpg

SDC14010.jpg

I'll see if I can get the engine running tomorrow, then take it to fail an MOT.

sparkywig said:
Well done Steve, looking forward to this one. :D

Thanks matey.:)
Just got to find time. I know....................

I'll stick a plywood floor in and squirty foam it from underneath. And gaffa tape for the headlining. A reclining armchair from the living room should suffice in the back and I can throw a tarp over he top to save putting up curtains...

The supension area might get a bit more attention. ;)

Yeay, you got the pictures up Steve, nice one!! It will be fun to watch this rebuilt, any particular plans? 8)

Merlydog said:
Yeay, you got the pictures up Steve, nice one!! It will be fun to watch this rebuilt, any particular plans? 8)
Hi Sarah. Planning to make it legal, habitable and nearer the ground. And ditch the Westy windows. I might have to kick the front out a bit to get the heater pipe back in.

If the engine's ok that'll be fine. I have a 1600 tp with all mod cons I could fit but I like the look of this dirty one. :)
SDC14006.jpg

ZedBed said:
Merlydog said:
Hi Sarah. Planning to make it legal, habitable and nearer the ground. And ditch the Westy windows. I might have to kick the front out a bit to get the heater pipe back in.

If the engine's ok that'll be fine. I have a 1600 tp with all mod cons I could fit but I like the look of this dirty one. :)
SDC14006.jpg

What is it with boys and dirty buses?!!! :lol: :lol:

The insides will be clean and comfy Sarah! Saves a lot of effort if you pretend to have it dirty on purpose. ;)

Interesting project you have there :D

Not going to change the rims too as that would spoil the look I think you are going for ;)

Nice bus 8) good luck with the work, is the floor all like that or just one side?

I'll be very careful to avoid painting or changing the wheels, but it going to be ruined with new tyres unless I can find some part worn. :lol:

Floor - it sat for a few years without a sliding door. It had wood floor which trapped the wet and rotted the floor out. The undercarriage is ok though apart from a wee patch in the inner sill next to the slider. Top hats and I sections are fine.

Fixed the handbrake, cleaned the carb, removed the altitude corrector, changed the track rods, noted the box is notchy. :( - no doubt a one year only item? Had a good look over it and see nearly all the brake pipes have been recently replaced and then wasted hours trying to get the knackered ignition barrel out. It's still stuck - what a pain. Got the wheel off and column in bits etc etc but the barrel won't come out of the housing. If you need the right key for this I'm stuffed because even if I had it, it won't go in the lock. Yes I'm pressing the dpring down the hole :lol:

Eventually I'll lose my temper and drill it out. Lights are working, horn not, wipers work, indicators don't - there's a bundle of wiring under the dash to sort out but I'll wait until the screen is out and take off the dash top. I don't readily volunteer for grovelling under the dash.

More tomorrow.

Decided I'll change the fuel hose before I start her up. Didn't have enough clamps left so I'll do it tomorrow.

moler said:
ZedBed said:
.....but you can't fake a proper accident.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice bus, can't wait to see it's evolution ;)
Cheers mate - I think the owner must have driven round with her eyes shut. :)

When I was a boy I followed a thread where you made a camper around a few specs of dust left from the original - inspiring stuff and part way responsible for me now being in the bodywork business. I wouldn't do a basket case resto now, though I did a couple before I learned my lesson.

All the best mate.

ZedBed said:

What makes you think it was a woman driving it Steve, hmmmm?? Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merlydog said:
ZedBed said:

What makes you think it was a woman driving it Steve, hmmmm?? Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to say it belonged to an old lady in the states Sarah. The top coat of paint was painted with most of the damage already there - even the front crash! She must have liked shiney, but not minded dents. Same as me.

Latest posts