'69 Deluxe Arizona import…

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busman73

Reaction score
I thought it was about time I posted some pictures of my latest purchase, considering I've had it since October

It's a 1969 Deluxe Micro Bus, originally savannah beige
Imported from Pheonix Arizona

What do you think?

Nicestraight looking bus, is it a fullon deluxe?

can see the marks on the back 2/3rds for the trim but not on the doors, yet got the deluxe windows as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah it's a full on deluxe, had the drivers door replaced at some point in its life and its missing most of its trim

Here's an update on whats been going on with my van,

Been checking it over in preperation for its MoT, so far all the usual stuff has needed to be done, Brake shoes, wheel cylinders, handbrake cables, the hand brake itself was seized, flexi hoses. I've replaced all four tyres, the front brakes are serviceable just needed front flexi hoses.

I've converted the lights to run UK spec, fitted UK rear light units, re-fitted the rear side marker lights, brought some UK front headlights but yet to be fitted as I have to do some repairs on the front panel. I've fixed the issues with the indicators and brake lights, sorted out the exhaust as the one that came on the van was shagged, its been replaced with a 4into1 and a stainless Mondo muffler

Welding wise due to it being a US import its not bad, so far I've done repairs to the load floor, I've got to repair the cab floor drivers side, I'm in the process of repairing the front panel and I've got to repair the o/s front step and battery trays, nothing to challenging

As for plans for, they are pretty simple at the moment, get it MoT'd, registered, throw a R&R bed and a floor in it, lower it due to it being about 6 feet from the ground and find the missing chrome trim pieces.

Here's a few pictures so far.

Busman73 said:
Yeah it's a full on deluxe, had the drivers door replaced at some point in its life and its missing most of its trim

not being pedantic but it looks just like a standard US spec microbus (which had chrome trim), i thought the same about mine. until i found out otherwise

but actual deluxe' had, for one, sunroof's as standard from mid 68, unless it was ordered without one, your M code's will tell you if its a 22 (standard) or a 24 (deluxe)

What makes you say that?

Its got the deluxe trim as fitted from new with the exception of the drivers door due to it being replaced, deluxe window trims with the exception of the screen as it didn't come with a seal in it and I only had a standard one, chrome opening quarter windows. Its got the Chrome sliding door 'U' bolt thing. Full headling, brown door cards with a cream band through the middle and a dark brown band at the bottom, brown, not black rubber floor mats, the seats are cream with brown sides and dark brown piping.

I'm even sure it says deluxe micro bus on the birth certificate. I'll be checking the 'M' codes tomorrow

I don't see anyone else's van being questioned about what they are?

Busman73 said:
What makes you say that?

Its got the deluxe trim as fitted from new with the exception of the drivers door due to it being replaced, deluxe window trims with the exception of the screen as it didn't come with a seal in it and I only had a standard one, chrome opening quarter windows. Its got the Chrome sliding door 'U' bolt thing. Full headling, brown door cards with a cream band through the middle and a dark brown band at the bottom, brown, not black rubber floor mats, the seats are cream with brown sides and dark brown piping.

I'm even sure it says deluxe micro bus on the birth certificate. I'll be checking the 'M' codes tomorrow

I don't see anyone else's van being questioned about what they are?

jeez chill out brother,

i was merely giving you some information, as i have a savannah beige bus too, with almost exact same spec you have, hence why i clicked on your post, and also trying to find other buses with the same M code as mine, 522807.

and i have said before on here that not all "deluxe" buses are actual deluxes. if yours is, then cool.

but, whatever, carry on. :shock:

Nice looking bus mate, deluxe or otherwise.
Hope its a deluxe if youve bought it as such, but these days its easy if not a little expensive to get all the deluxe trim if you need it.
I think what Analog meant was most people class a true deluxe as a bus with a sun roof fitted. I feel the same and with the amount of faux deluxes around (including my fake deluxe westy) the sun roof is the only bit that cant be faked.
Look forward to seeing it finished.

I think what is being discussed here is a subject which keeps popping up recently, it would seem (and I expect someone to pipe in with someone telling me its bollocks very soon) that the US never got 24 deluxes like we did in Europe, they had the 22 with essentially the chrome pack and an optional sunroof, they never seem to have consistency in there specs as in the clock was not standard all the time and the chrome on the interior panels was not present the luggage bars on the rear seat and on the rear window, bumper trim etc etc.

You do see some which are fully blown from time to time but they always seem to have been part of the tourist programme and originated from Europe and privately shipped.

Lots on here are US spec deluxes and as such are beautiful things :msn4: but a full euro deluxe and a US deluxe are two very different things.....

Nice Microbus btw :D

Analog said:
jeez chill out brother,

i was merely giving you some information, as i have a savannah beige bus too, with almost exact same spec you have, hence why i clicked on your post, and also trying to find other buses with the same M code as mine, 522807.

and i have said before on here that not all "deluxe" buses are actual deluxes. if yours is, then cool.

but, whatever, carry on. :shock:

Sorry mate I'd had a bad day and it seems it came across that way in my post, since then I've been doing some research into what my van is, it seems that what mattyd72 said has some truth in it,

This is what it is;

Typ. 28 seven seater microbus

Chassis No 02 081 550 E Built in Emden
0261 34 D25 026 508
0261 34 Savanna Beige/Cloud white with Light sand/Khaki brown leatherette interior

D25 group M code
020 speedo with odometer in miles
089 laminated windscreen
102 rear window heating
206 inner rear view mirror, anti-dazzle
501 ventilation windows in cabin
511 padded dash and dash lid
521 with chrome trim and sunvisor mirror
524 USA and Canada spec
525 seat belts for USA and Canada

026, 508
026 Activated charcoal filter
508 Added vent wings in passenger compartment

47 5 7904 UA 2211 21

47 5 Scheduled build date 21/11/69
UA Destined for Los Angeles
2211 Microbus, LHD, Right Side door, 7 Seater
21 Type 1 engine, manual gear box

Here's a quick update, not been up to much due to us moving premises at work, but here's what I have done,

I've repaired the n/s step

And the bottom of the wheel tub

Cut out the rotten floor

Welded in a new section

And now it looks like this

I've also made one of these, (passenger seat braket) as mine was missing

and finally I gave one of the corners a quick polish to see what the paint work would come up like, I was quite pleased with the outcome, the picture doesn't do it justice

Great work on the cab floor dude :mrgreen:

Also the rear corner looks to have come up nicely too 8)

Nice bus, very impressed with the seat bracket.
You can't beat a bit of DIY fabrication for self satisfaction in my eyes!

gninnam said:
Great work on the cab floor dude :mrgreen:

Also the rear corner looks to have come up nicely too 8)

Cheers, I was quite surprised at how the paint came up shouldn't look too bad once the rest of the van is done, good job we've got an electric mop, I don't really fancy G3'ing the whole thing by hand

krusty said:
Nice bus, very impressed with the seat bracket.
You can't beat a bit of DIY fabrication for self satisfaction in my eyes!

Cheers mate, I was quite chuffed with it myself, only took about half an hour to make.

I can't wait to get it on the road, I've asked the birthday fairy for some beam adjusters, any recommendations?

Latest posts