Our South African SO67R Kampmobile (CKD)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter

Reaction score
Hi
I thought i'd share some pics of our 5th family member.

Here's how she looked back home in Gauteng Province S.A.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

She was brought into the UK in 2003, unwelded and still original

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

However the sun had totally rotted the curtains, roof canvas and single 'scissor' roof bunk.

DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2255.jpg

DSCF2262.jpg

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2295.jpg

DSCF2296.jpg

DSCF2297.jpg

DSCF2305.jpg

DSCF2306.jpg

DSCF2320.jpg

DSCF2324.jpg

2309.jpg

2271.jpg

2270.jpg

I sourced a new canvas from the Bus Depot in USA along with a new bunk canvas

DSCF6746.jpg

DSCF6753.jpg

03052009605.jpg

DSCF6119.jpg

DSCF6122.jpg

DSC_1640_lr.jpg

Finally, as she looked at Camperjam 10 this past weekend.

11072010364.jpg

I have to admit, I dont know an awful lot about the SO67R vans. If anyone knows where I may be able to source more information on her, please leave me a message.

I've not been a member long on EB so I should also say hi, glad to be onboard.

Hello and welcome! :D

What a fab bus you have there, and so stock/original. 8)

I'm no expert on Westies, but there will be others, such as 'Clem' who I'm sure can shed more light on the SO67R model. Certainly I don't think there are that many of the 'R' versions on our shores.

Maybe try 'The Samba' for more info.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doug

Welcome on board Scooter sorry I missed this one at Camperjam
Good to see another RHD Westy surface as not too many around. I'll check to see what other info I have at home but the key bits of info are that these buses are all CKD - Completely knocked down - kits that were made in Germany but built in Uitenhage and based on a bulkhead microbus. The Kampmobile interior kits were supplied by Westfalia Werks at Weidenbruck. Just like the aussie buses they also have larger oil baths fitted due to the higher local temperatures. And the reflectors on the front are a local SA feature, with rear reflectors built into the rear light cluster

Unfortunately they don't have a full M plate giving you stacks of info, and paints were usually a local mix not based on the usual VW palate. You can still get a birth certificate from VW which will confirm the build date and a few other details and will be able to confirm if yours is the original engine. The cost is 35 euros http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/urkunden.html

There is a SA VW Forum, but they are not always as friendly as this forum is as they don't like seeing their buses escape to the UK, and you will not be able to source any spare parts from them as UK members can't see the For Sale section

Look forward to seeing your bus at another show or EB gathering

Hi - Thanks for the links guys, I will definitely be taking a trawl through your suggested sites. At work at the moment but will reply more when home later.

Cotswoldiver, I believe I saw your bus covered in VW Camper and Commercial last year ?

I almost had kittens when I saw the article as she is the twin of mine :) :)

It was the first article I had ever seen on the SO67R. Until then I hadn't managed to find out much about them and drawn a blank with every internet search !

I did keep an eye out for you at Camperjam but alas. If you're heading to Vanfest this year, maybe it would be good to pair the buses up together and maybe have a little search to see how many more are in the UK? I know that Scott Wilson had one for sale last year at Vanfest, a light blue one.

Best do some work, but really good to make contact. All the best
Scoot

:shock: Very nice bus , Scott Wilson did have one like yours at Vanfest , hope to see yours in person at this years's Vanfest.

Great looking van (love the 3 quarter bench seat at the front) ;)

Cheers for the nice comments and welcome.

gninnam said:
Great looking van (love the 3 quarter bench seat at the front) ;)
Yeah, my little lad loves riding up front with us both as a treat!

easy said:
Ace van dood 8)
Cheers Easy

Hopefully put some faces to names at some upcoming shows.

Barkafer said:
How do Scooter! I seen this Van in the flesh, an it's a Beaut. Are you going to Vanfest? May see you there in my new bus with any luck.
Chris (berksplat on ADK)

Hi Chris

Yes, we'll be at Vanfest again this year. A few of us going from ADK. Will probably start up a list on ADK site. Usually camp up in the Top right Family Camping area. Hopefully see you there.

Scoot

Scooter said:
Barkafer said:
How do Scooter! I seen this Van in the flesh, an it's a Beaut. Are you going to Vanfest? May see you there in my new bus with any luck.
Chris (berksplat on ADK)

Hi Chris

Yes, we'll be at Vanfest again this year. A few of us going from ADK. Will probably start up a list on ADK site. Usually camp up in the Top right Family Camping area. Hopefully see you there.

Scoot

Camping is all booked up on site so I will probably go off site, that is if I can get the van ready for the trip. She arrives in port on 14th so it may be touch and go as there's a bit of work to do and the missus is about to pop with our 5th little un!
Will bust a gut to get there though.

Oh, and lets see some more photo's of your pride and joy!

Latest posts