My 1969 Devon - the EarlyBay.com inspiration!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
This is our 1969 Devon that I bought from Mike Percy (Founder of Earlybay.com) this van was his inspiration for setting up this brilliant website

We bought "Hector" in October 2008, he is an original UK van with just 4 owners from new and tons of service history/paperwork. A shame he isn't the original Lotus White colour but we will rectify that soon!

Here is what he looked like when we got him:

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

268-6825_IMG.jpg

We've not done too much, as yet, but have put in a new engine so he can pull us along and all our camping gear:

DSC00208.jpg

It's a 1641cc with twin 34 ICT's built by AirspeedUK on an new AS41 case, although soon to be updated to a 1776 for just a little more pulling power.

The interior is all original, from what I know:

DSC00214.jpg

We've had a good year in him, done about 5000 miles and had a few good camping trips:

July2009036.jpg

This winter he passed the MOT - just needing a few brake tweeks and a new headlight. But when we took the Belly Pans off - well lets say it wasn't pretty :(

Lots of new chassis repair parts have been purchased, along with 2 original '69 doors and an engine lid from the USA (thanks to SKP). Hopefully this week, or next he'll be back in the body-shop for all the welding work, then money allowing he'll be stripped back and re-painted in Lotus White.

I have to say he is one my favourite vehicles I've ever owned, really good fun and a great scene with the other VW owners - best of all my wife and little girl love him too :)

I'll get some more pictures up soon of the resto work !

Nice to see Mikes' old bus. Mine's supposed to be Lotus white as well ( soon to be remedied )
I remember being parked up next to it in the main hall at Vanfest a few years back in an Earlybay line up.

I think there are some pictures on the forum somewhere.

Well the old fella has been taken off the road, after taking the belly pans off we saw how bad he was :cry:

Decided that the best way to tackle this was to get a proper roller and get the van on it's side:

photo5.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo10.jpg

This is what we can see:

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo9.jpg

Some pictures to follow of the repairs :D

Looks like Mike new when to sell it :lol:

Only kidding - looks like a pain, but once done, you will be so pleased (especially if the repaint is done too) ;)

wow you could never tell could you :shock: that fairly bad rot. i love this devon its a little bit of history and the inspiration for this site.

David, the guy who is doing the work is making good progress. The rust has been worse that first thought - but he's getting there :D

Tillys3monthsold111.jpg

Tillys3monthsold115.jpg

Its amazing how much rust can be hidden yet every looks to be OK on the surface ;)

Looking good so far 8)

your scaring me... its uncanny i have the same colour devon and model and the belly pans are on... gods know whats underneath. :(

Sterling work being made on yours. :D

Johnny said:
Sterling work being made on yours. :D

Thanks Johnny, I wish I could take credit it for it, they guy David is doing a great job. We're aiming to get all the underside cleaned and painted this weekend. Then we need to look at all the bodywork :shock:

Might be worth getting the belly pans off for a look - I wish I had done it sooner!

Any news on those seals?

So with the chassis completed, just needing paint, we've started work on the bodywork - again years of shoddy repairs are being found. The van had late bay rear wheel arches (urgggg!) one of which had just been welded straight on top of the original arch :shock:

Tillys3monthsold174.jpg

The sliding door is a little grotty but due to the cost of 2nd hand ones we decided to have a go at repairing it - so far so good.

Tillys3monthsold185.jpg

Tillys3monthsold187.jpg

Tillys3monthsold200.jpg

Tillys3monthsold197.jpg

Tillys3monthsold199.jpg

Next job are new rear arches and the rear corners.

Latest posts