Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick-Rackham

Reaction score
Hi all, well here goes. I took the plunge and I'm now the very proud owner of Mollie (named by my daughter) a 69 Devon Bay. Plans for Mollie are a full restoration (body only) and then have a look at disc brakes all round, a new custom interior (will be getting plenty of help from my friends on this one) and finally a new power plant.

OK, so as my daughter is going to be helping keep this up to date, here's where we started. Friday night 19:45 we get in the hired recovery vehicle (shameless plug for Fork Rent of Ipswich) and head off out of Suffolk down the A12 towards North Devon. We took my brother in law along for the ride. Midnight saw us in Taunton looking for a Travel Lodge! Up early and filled up, all day breakfast, and on our way. Got there about 10 ish, and had a good look round, parted with the folding stuff and loaded her up. Got back to Suffolk about 8 Saturday night. Unloaded her and headed off to bed with Nurofen for a sore back!

Realistically, these will be three stages, Body / Chassis first, followed by Brakes and Interior, followed by a new engine. I've set a target of 9 months for stage 1. Anyway, enough rambling!

Meet Mollie
bZIgM.jpg

Various photo's of RUST!!!!
b84Ak.jpg

4oRx2.jpg

siKh0.jpg

3yzCv.jpg

DeTMX.jpg

S1w3l.jpg

r1UpS.jpg

6NfvL.jpg

Utg8P.jpg

You get the idea! Underneath has been fitted with the floor panels so can't see what the floor is like, but all outriggers have gone so they are on the list as well!

So the clean up and clear out begins. Meg (my daughter) and her friends stared to clean her, unfortunately they hadn't listened to instructions (which teenagers do?) so Mollie is part washed!

I started by looking at the interior and decided that it wasn't what I wanted.
aGFYL.jpg

y2fqw.jpg

ugmnj.jpg

iUzkI.jpg

So out it comes!
HZ6MD.jpg

qLZn2.jpg

aUG2L.jpg

ZKGoB.jpg

l9GvI.jpg

Left this in ;)
ATc9Z.jpg

Time to see what the engine is like!
3i2Xq.jpg

Seems to be all there, so key in, lights, nothing.....

Spent the rest of the afternoon checking connections and getting battery charged. Tried again, no click, starter stuck? Out came the toolbox, quick tap on the starter with a hammer, tried again and it burst into life, well, more like resusitating a 40 year old asthmatic smoker :lol: But seriously (as a middle aged asthmaic smoker) it was good to see she runs.

So, where to start? I figured I'd pick a corner and start there, so on the phone and rear corner, wheel arch, closing plates and wheel tub ordered for off side. Should be here for the weekend.

I had originally planned to do this on the drive, but having had a long chat with my mate who lives opposite, (and having had arc eye in the past) I decided that as their childrens windows and lounge look right down my drive, it may be best to do this in the garage. Less space, but has the benefit of being dry, with light, and no chance of accidental arc flashes disturbing my mate and family!

So into the garage! hmmmmm..... Haven't unpacked since I moved in 4 years ago, so now I need to board the loft, and get all that boxed stuff I will probably never need out of the way! so, looks like a bit more work needed to clear up before I can start in anger!

Looks like a nice project for winter ;)
Shame you don't like the interior - a number of people will probably want bits of you!

Remember - every bit of rust you see, loads more will soon be on there way :D

Keep the pics coming (but not of boarding the loft) and welcome :)

Thanks Gninnam, not sure about just the winter, but certainly aiming for 9 months on getting all panel / chassis work done, engine serviced and brakes sorted, then off out in her at weekends! ;)

if you need any help let us know fella , i`m only up the road in town.....several local guys can help too sprayers, mechs welders etc just ask friend
and get yourself to stonham on the second sunday of every month for suffolk bugrs vw meets lots of friendly peeps to help too

ste ;)

ooro said:
if you need any help let us know fella , i`m only up the road in town.....several local guys can help too sprayers, mechs welders etc just ask friend
and get yourself to stonham on the second sunday of every month for suffolk bugrs vw meets lots of friendly peeps to help too

ste ;)

Cheers fella, good to know advice close at hand :) Will try to get to Stonham, I know James and Suzanne, chatted to Grazy last week, and went to have a look see at Nick's Westy just up the road. Hoping to do the welding myself, plus basic fabrication, and bro in law has access to a machine shop / fabrication stuff :) Paint is a long long way off, but good to know, cheers, Nick

Good luck with it fella ...

.. just dont under estimate the rust! :msn4:

Looks a good solid start .. not messed with ..

I like the devon interior! .. :)

Hilly

Nick-Rackham said:
ooro said:

ste ;)

Cheers fella, good to know advice close at hand :) Will try to get to Stonham, I know James and Suzanne, chatted to Grazy last week, and went to have a look see at Nick's Westy just up the road. Hoping to do the welding myself, plus basic fabrication, and bro in law has access to a machine shop / fabrication stuff :) Paint is a long long way off, but good to know, cheers, Nick

nick,
yea james n suzanne are good guys and as for grazy ...he`s me bro in law....ya can`t choose ya family :lol: :lol:

nicks westy is niice as yours will be soonish too
enjoy the journey to completing it

ste

Hilly_70 said:
Good luck with it fella ...

.. just dont under estimate the rust! :msn4:

Looks a good solid start .. not messed with ..

I like the devon interior! .. :)

Hilly

Thanks :) Never underestimate RUST!! Looks pretty good underneath, but haven't got the paint off the inside, need advice on best / quickest way to get it back to metal. and it's been fitted with trays underneath so need to get those off and all the underseal!, also need advice on that as well. Hard stuff comes off OK, but some of it is still like scrapping treacle!. Cheers, Nick

Hello Mollie!

Looks like a great project, will be watching progress with interest - I love restoration threads 8)

Best of luck with it and keep those updates coming!

So the trip worked out ok then :)

I'll be keen to see progress, so keep the photos coming.

On the soft stuff, I found a wire brush on an angle grinder pretty effective (100% better than a wire brush on a drill).

Cheers,
Nick

71Westy said:
So the trip worked out ok then :)

I'll be keen to see progress, so keep the photos coming.

On the soft stuff, I found a wire brush on an angle grinder pretty effective (100% better than a wire brush on a drill).

Cheers,
Nick

Cheers Nick, yep, love your westy, hope Mollie turns out as good!!?? ;)

Found It ! ,

Looks like you have your work cut out there dude , Keen to come n have a look mate give me a bell when you are tinkering with the bus 8)

Grazy said:
Found It ! ,

Looks like you have your work cut out there dude , Keen to come n have a look mate give me a bell when you are tinkering with the bus 8)

Going to make a start Thursday / Friday hopefully. Welcome to come have a look, give advice on where to start!! Can't remember where I read it, but "treat it like a series of small jobs, rather than one huge task and it seems less daunting" seems apt! Been looking at her thinking, where the f*** do you start!

Couldn't wait until Thursday to start :D

Where to Start, hmmmm..... seems as I'd already ordered the parts for the offside rear corner from AH Scofield that seemed a logical place to start. but first! I've been busy! Loft boarded (no pics!) and half the garage painted!

Mollie's new home (well part of it!)
82lYF.jpg

Took 2 hours to get the frackin towbar and associated half ton of 3" angle iron off the back. Maybe she hasn't been lowered after all! ride height rose by an inch!

Took the battery out, and the tray seemed loose! (what's the socially acceptable term for TW4T on the forum? PO?) seems like the previous owner has stuck a new battery tray in on top of the remains of the previosu one, and stuck it in with Silicone Sealer :shock:
jZJXK.jpg

Anyway, here's a few pics of the start
m1S0u.jpg

fq9bc.jpg

Iv5Gy.jpg

PJ4Tp.jpg

Out all day tomorrow so hoping to get her cleaned up and trial fit the panels on Thursday.

Question, I've gone for Schofield panels as they are supposedly the best, but not entirely happy with the quality! Are VWHeritage Panels any better? or any other supply?

Cheers, Nick

I've found that Schofiled and Heritage vary - sometimes good, sometimes not - JK tend to be below average all the time.

Not tried any other place though :)

Latest posts