the life and times of Doris the Dormobile!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Well, at last Doris is having some serious work done. my intention is to add pictures as the work progresses.

Doris was manufactured on 27th January 1969 as a kombi for UK market and shortly thereafter was transfered to Dormobile UK to become a camper!
She still wears her original colour of L282 Lotus white but there is evidence that at some time in her life,the bottom half was painted orange (must of been cool in the 70's?!)

I bought Doris in 2002 from her original Owner, Mr.Williams who had brought his family up having holidays away in her and Doris was only used for summer holidays,hence her good condition. I actually worked with Mr.Williams for several years before I even knew he owned an old VW.He was never 'in to' them so it never really came up in conversation until he seen me reading Volksworld in work one day.cut a long story short,he had only been taking Doris to the MOT station each year for the last few years as his kids were now well and truly grown up.He agreed to sell Doris to me at a good price (read bargain) and after 33 years in his ownership, she was ours after a solemn promise not to lower/chop/metalic paint her etc etc :D Doris's registration (MWM169H - note 69~H :mrgreen: ) suggestes she was registered in Liverpool in 1969 & she has always and still to this day lives in the town of Crewe Cheshire,apart from a brief period of ownership in North Wales. Mr.Williams has since retired.Although structurally solid,Doris's body is getting a bit tatty & tired now,her engine is still pulling strong however,having covered only 89k miles from new.

Due to difficulties we had to sell Doris a few years ago and she went to live with a family in North Wales,however, dificulties on their part led to an out of the blue phone call offering us the chance to buy Doris back 2 years later. The then present keeper knew it was with great sadness that we parted with her so a few phone calls later Doris had come home to us & to Crewe! This time she stays!!! - so we decided to have her restored sooner rather than later and that's where this thread comes in.

Having looked around for a restorer I could trust that came with good reports,it came down to three - Toms V-dubs in Runcorn, Manchester air cooled or Kraftwerk in Stoke. I plumped for 'kraftwerk' in Stoke on Trent.... http://www.kraftwerkvw.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll post some photo's later and as we go along,enjoy........

Nice short story and well done on getting her back 8)

Looking forward to the pics and progress reports :mrgreen:

She was nice enough when we first bought her.we had a few holidays in her...........
MWM169Hwithoutspots.jpg

MWM169Hrear.jpg

gradually being stored outside started to put a bit of strain on her paint & bodywork......
100_4797.jpg

100_2884.jpg

100_4945.jpg

100_4800.jpg

100_4806-1.jpg

100_2884.jpg

100_2864.jpg

I tried to do a few jobs myself but I'd want it perfect - something I couldn't do with out having the time,skills or time to learn the skills (as much as I'd love to do it myself). so I decided to do as much as I possibly could,as regards dismantling her and gathering the parts to replace. right from this point I knew I wanted to make sure I had everything to put back on her when she came home in fresh paint.I can think of nothing more frustrating than not being able to put your bus back together.So I hunted,bought,stock piled eveything (I hope) so when Doris comes home, everything new can be re fitted.

Regarding panels,where possible, I've gone for rust free cuts,then had them stripped.If they are not available, I tend to use Alan H.Schofield panels as they have a good reputation for quality of metal and fit.....we'll see!
rust free dog legs from FBI swansea,media blasted.....
DSCN0653.jpg

Well off she went to the sand blasters yesterday (I say sand blasters as its the common term,although sand isn't used that much now days its called 'media' as different media is used for grade of finish and the type of metal that is being blasted ),I had the complete chassis done inc front beam,back plates,hub carriers etc etc,wheel arches,engine mounts and support bar,complete engine bay,rear valance,panel to panel seams on body side and where the drip rail meets the body all the way round the bus - £250,money well spent I feel. I picked her up this morning and spent literally all day getting the sand out of the little recesses. The biggest bit - getting the media out from inside the belly pan - wow what a job.its a dirty messy job but blasting does a far better than any amateur with a scraper or wire brush could do if you don't have the budget for an acid dip (over a grand).
I zinc primered the top bits such as the drip rails and seams as soon as I got home,then I blasted what I could of the residual media out, using compresed air. I fashioned a small hose connected to the Dyson and fed it into small places like the belly pan cavity and area above the rear wheel arches. I'm satisfied its all out now,but the truth will be known once the body is rolled (using the roller Andi Wilson kindly lent to me ;) ).
here is some pics of her on the way and how the chassis looks now, you'll probably see the little patches of work that will be given attention to......

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

tommorow, its off to VW Kraftwerk for a coat of etch primer and the big jobs :shock:

Looks like you have got of lightly - not taking the belly pan off :shock:

gninnam said:
Yeah, well when the restorer and I looked the bus,the side ones have been taken off and it was nice under there, we thought "everywhere else is pretty much solid, its only done 89k, so we'll let sleeping dogs lie". I think if there were any nasty suprises or the thing was rottten through then I wouldn't of hesitated to whip em off. I think they call it a calculated risk :mrgreen:
Thanks for your comments so far mate.

Doris said:
gninnam said:
Yeah, well when the restorer and I looked the bus,the side ones have been taken off and it was nice under there, we thought "everywhere else is pretty much solid, its only done 89k, so we'll let sleeping dogs lie". I think if there were any nasty suprises or the thing was rottten through then I wouldn't of hesitated to whip em off. I think they call it a calculated risk :mrgreen:
Thanks for your comments so far mate.

It does look very tidy under there so probably a reasonable descision.
Are you going to drop the van at all (hope you don't or if you have to, then only by a few inches...) or keep it as VW intended :?:
Regarding the comments about my comments - your welcome :oops: (lived down that way - well, in Nantwich - a good few years back you know ;) )

gninnam said:
It does look very tidy under there so probably a reasonable descision.
Are you going to drop the van at all (hope you don't or if you have to, then only by a few inches...) or keep it as VW intended :?:
)

No mate shes's staying original - there's plenty of that malarky going on,I'l leave it to the others :D

Loxy said:
Looks like you are one of the lucky few with a pretty solid UK bus ;)

Yeah, I do count myself lucky. I can understand why people have to import them but I'm just so pleased shes always been a Blighty bus. she's not mint, and she has had welding done sometime in the past but by gum she's solid i all the right places,but gone in all the usual places.

as the pics are posted,you'll notice some parts are left alone for now,for example the front arches/lower panel. These will be replaced as the project progresses.all wires/cable and brake lines are masked/bagged up. We managed to etch prime the chassis on arrival at Kraftwerk on Monday. this week has seen the repairs of a few patches of weaker metal,the decision always was to cut it out if it wasn't tip top and weld in fresh metal.The sand blast revealed a few areas of improvement that have now been addressed.
kraftwerk03June094.jpg

kraftwerk03June096.jpg

kraftwerk03June098.jpg

kraftwerk03June099.jpg

Dorisbeingwelded2ndJune093.jpg

The end of this week see's the under side welding complete,sound deadener/stone chip surface applied and top coat. This weekend we made a start on painting the hubs/spring plates/beam etc This is where we're up to at the moment...........

Sounddeadeningandstonechipbeingappl.jpg

viewofDorisfrontbeampainted6thJune0.jpg

Dorisrearswingarmsandspringplatespa.jpg

Dorisfrontbeampainted6thJune09.jpg

Looking like a good job Rob, I'm hoping to be back on the road in July how about you?
Andy

Looking great Rob and your so lucky to have borrowed the roller I asked to borrow one near me but got no joy good luck and keep it coming Frankie.

Hi all, big gap in the progress due to illness, but seem to be back on track now! cutting out and welding in started now...
roofcut.jpg

RLHScorner.jpg

Welcome back :D
Hope the illness is over now :(

Glad you have started again 8)

Hi Rob not been doing much recently on my van, but you seem to be doing really well keep it up mate
I need to get myself motivated again anyway good luck with the resto Frankie.

Slowly working through the welding work.wheel arches both sides done,Rear corners done including battery trays.tail lamp apature repairs,Alan schofield rear corners used but they still proved to be a pig to fit.All the body is bare metaled now except the roof,cab doors from rocket Ron.both the rear window channels have been replaced with rust free cuts from SKP.work has begun on the front inner windscreen panel & lower inner valance as pictured but was delayed due to the angle grinder biting Lee on the leg.

big jobs still to do...front panel to go on,cab floors & dog legs.

Dorisbaremetal26May103.jpg

Dorisbaremetal26May10.jpg

Dorisbaremetal26May101.jpg

Dorisbaremetal26May102.jpg

Hi rob got my mojo back and started doing some work on my van ,thank god for some sunshine done the lower front repair one side needed doing happy with the result front arch back on next weather permitting well done with doris keep up the good work Frankie.

Latest posts