1970 Dormobile resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexer

Reaction score
Hi all, iv had my van for a couple of years now and i had a friend who was going to do all the welding for me but he ended up shitting him self at the amount of work involved and the time it would take lol, so i have now got it booked in at veedubs in welling kent, another mate but this is a pure buisness arangment (better that way)
anyway here is a few pics.

DSC00395.jpg

heres one of my new brakes

DSC01299.jpg

one of my flat4 brms, i got the mws ones but was not happy with the finish so got these instead

DSC01456.jpg

i have got most of my panels but still need a few, the van will be getting a front panel, iner and outer sills both sides (dont need them but rather than a patch job may as well do it) , front outer arches, rear arches, battery trays , rear corner, a couple of gutter sections n/s cab floor,
i know this sounds alot but most of the panels im replacing only need patching but i only want to get it done once so opted for full panels. the guy doing it is just the tits and has been doing vw's for around 18 years, he has had many show winners out of his work shop. i was gona get it done for free by the last mate but in reality that aint gona happen..... i just want the welding done so i can bolt on all my shiny bits :)

i have got twin 36 webers to go on, a 3 bow roof rack (on a dormobile.. i will come to that another time) , empi wuick shift, autometer rev counter, new alternator conversion. i have spent a shit load on it and not got anywhere near getting it on the road, i could probably spent around £100 and it will go through an mot but it wont look pretty.
i will ad more when the work starts in june

Nick

Rexer - welcome :D
Loving your Dormy and will be mint when done - also loving the bling to
go on - who's brakes are they (CSP?) 8)

How's the interior, is it usable or are you changing it :?:

gninnam said:
Rexer - welcome :D
Loving your Dormy and will be mint when done - also loving the bling to
go on - who's brakes are they (CSP?) 8)

How's the interior, is it usable or are you changing it :?:

i know your user name from somewhere dont i ? have you got the red dormobile?

interior is mainly good , i got another side unit from a 72 from a kind chap in kettering, i only went there to pick up a sliding door hinge and ended up coming home with nearly a whole van lol, its staying pretty standard but iv put some sport type (corbeu gts seats £30 ebay)
was thinking of mounding a hob and grill in the side unit somehow.

yes the brakes are csp wide 5, expencive but i feel worth it, and from what im told they are the best £600 you can spend on an early bus.

booked in for the welding june the 11th, im planning on being on the road for vanfest but i think it might even make bugjam :)

Rexer - I'm a forum tart - JK, VZi, LVC etc..... :lol:

Yep, mine is the red and white dormy.
Glad your trying to keep the interior as original as poss. Feel it's a shame
when they get ripped out, but I can understand why people do it.

I to have heard nothing but praise for the CSP brakes so good choice.

Respect :wink:

Getting closer to the 11th of june now so here is a quick update on my van, i now have nearly all the panels for the welding job and im getting well exited now. the only thing left to sort is the front arches/steps as im not sure if its gona need complete panels or just outers and the little step panel, its gona be in James's workshop for over a week so he has plenty to get on with and will be loads of time to get whatever panels is needed.
Im gona plead with him to take photos as he gets on but not sure he will be up for it, il lend him my digital camera.

here is a pic of all my new metal.

DSC01210.jpg

more to follow, roll on the 11th :D

Finally got the van down to the workshop for its welding on friday the 15th, here is some pics of what it looked like , im hoping jim will take some pics as he goes so i can show you all the welding.

DSC01267.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

cant wait to see progress mate he looks a sad little puppy at the moment :cry: but hey when all that new metal is on he will look a right fart smella :lol: 8)

didnt take my camera down to james but i did manage to sneak in to his workshop and snap a few photos of the progress. il let the pics do the talking but you can see he hasnt used all the panels only the bits needed.

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

DSC01314.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

im in spain for the next 4 days so i wont get the earge to go and hasle him for more pics.
Nick

managed to pop in to the workshop and take another look at the progress, its nearly done now and just a few little bits to finish off. here is a few snaps.

from this.....

DSC01355.jpg

to this........

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

il get some more when i get it back on tuesday the 3rd of july.

Those guys don't hang around..... that's some pretty fast work!!! :shock:

It'll be back on the road in tip top condition in a flash.

Camperdan said:
Those guys don't hang around..... that's some pretty fast work!!! :shock:

It'll be back on the road in tip top condition in a flash.

He dont hang about, one man band and all that. very impressed with what he has done.

ITS BACK !!!!
i got the van back home today and cant wait to get stuck in with the old filler and primer :)
here is a few pics, i will try to take some better ones tomorrow.
i know i didnt do the welding myself like some of the other resto threads on here but i just didnt have the time so i thought it best to get the hard stuff done by a pro.

please excuse the late bay in the background but thats jims :lol:

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01381.jpg

DSC01380.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

:)

Latest posts