Jimmy our 68 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Csp lists different part numbers for the 14 and 15 inch brake pads. I took the vehicles listed on the packaging and it matches the ebc pads stu used for the 15 inch setup. The dimensions match as well so not sure why csp list them separately.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Cracking bus dude. Can I ask how you have attached your car seat in?
I want to take my 4 month old out in my 68 when I get her out of hibernation but need to figure out something? Is it isofix?

Hey, thanks mate. We have one seat fixed with a 3 point belt and on the wardrobe side we have a lap belt and found a seat that is designed for a lap belt. I think that should see is through this year but by next year the youngest will have outgrown that seat. At that point I will look at either isofix or maybe a harness.

Good luck camping with the little one. We did our first trip when our daughter was 4 months and she loved it.

Yesterday was the big day for brakes. It took a bit longer than expected due to reluctant brake pipes and missing tools but overall a pretty easy upgrade and it's made a huge difference!

I had gotten very bored of the regular drum brake adjustments, brakes going out of balance and rubbish brake cylinders that don't last long. I wasn't expecting much improvement in terms of stopping power as I don't have a servo but I've been pleasantly surprised. I can now stop in a straight line and have much more confidence on the brakes.

First job was to strip off the drums, and get back to the spindle. Then give it a good clean with a wire brush:

ce7f667bc28ea513155ab61b2b11ad48.jpg

Next was to attach the caliper bracket. This took a bit of head scratching as I placed it on then read the instructions which weren't overly clear. After a bit of googling and looking at StuF's thread I went with my initial attempt. Caliper mounting holes toward the rear:

79bfe5f20dbc8544dbd0006154503ed5.jpg

Fit the inner bearing and seal to the disc:

6c6e44dd18bc502acb85d926bf03f9aa.jpg

Slide the disc on then fit the outer. Tighten in the same way as for drums:

626a5603675a116a87ee422f8a9ce851.jpg

Assemble the pads in the caliper, I went for EBC green stuff following a recommendation from StuF:

130ff960554db4e33a39131e5d4561f3.jpg

Slide the caliper over the disc and secure with a couple of bolts. Then connect the Flexi:

f53b648743f3aa78c80144e481be3e9f.jpg

47905a3026e6c3f8be1fb0e50a067491.jpg

The kit comes with a metal cap to cover the caliper bolts that is installed with a tool you hit with a hammer. I couldn't get a good enough swing at it so ended up using some grease to protect the bolt.

Residual pressure valves were removed from the master cylinder, ball bearings removed. To do this I had to remove the drag link for access but couldn't find my ball joint splitter so had to buy another.

Final job was bleeding, I tried a vacuum bleeder but only had a portable compressor which didn't provide enough airflow so went with the two person approach.

If the brake pipes come undone it should be a 3 hour job, i had to make 2 new pipes up and run around buying tools so it took double that. Well worth the effort though!

Great write up [emoji106]

Does that conversion push the wheels out any further than standard stance? I’m on 15” Steel Wide 5’s on a standard beam.

I plan to renew all of the copper up front later in the year, so might consider a full overhaul with this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate :)

Probably a good call to do it at the same time especially if the unions haven't been touched in a while. I half expected problems so had all the pipe and connectors ready just in case.

According to the instructions it should give a width reduction of 3.5mm each side

Cheers Mike,. definitely one I would recommend. Heritage have 10% off today as well ;)

sparkywig said:
It's because the cost of importing from the EU has increased.
I paid £146 import duties and fees on a package from CSP.
Ouch! I guess we need to start taking the extra costs in to account. The heritage kit seemed to be about £50 more than some others but should end up cheaper after the 10% discount

Did a couple of jobs today but didn't get any pics. I expected to get more done but couldn't find a 15mm spanner amongst all the kids toys in my garage. Ended up spending 2 hours tidying the garage.

Adjusted the valve clearances, all the exhaust valves were on the tight side, number 4 being the worst. Must admit it's been a while since I checked them though.

Also fitted a couple of brake pipe grommets. Some sadist designed them with a slit in to make you think they can be fitted with the brake pipe in situ. Took me over an hour in the rain with a colourful array of expletives....

Hopefully tomorrow is more productive, might grease the beam....

67westy said:
Also fitted a couple of brake pipe grommets. Some sadist designed them with a slit in to make you think they can be fitted with the brake pipe in situ. Took me over an hour in the rain with a colourful array of expletives....

Sometimes the ‘easy to work on’ tag doesn’t always feel like it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome work buddy - glad the EBC info came in handy.
Hope we can catch up soon once this Covid nonsense has passed!

Love the new motor too - typical you get something faster than my 911!!

Cheers mate, still really happy with the upgrade :) just need to get out and use the bus a bit more now

Will take you out for a spin and show you what a proper car can do [emoji14]

Context for everyone else, this is the new motor:

93ab52f67c316da13ae0766a5816e116.jpg
b00524b79dd58e9ea0d19d6a322dd700.jpg

Latest posts