1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home from an awesome weekend at SantaPod for the NSRA hot rod drags. Longest trip in the bus since the resto thanks to Covid, 230 mile round trip and the bus ran & drove a dream. 70-80mph most of the way, oil temp didn’t pass 180f and we got there & back on 1 tank of fuel which worked out at roughly 27mpg which considering I run 48 IDA’s is pretty good I think. The new transporterhaus beam with the Blistien shocks soaked up the bumps, making for a nice smooth ride and the Porsche brakes were well justified when some w*nker in a Volvo pulled out in front of me in podington village :evil:

Nice little parcel for Gene Berg enterprises today :D After some discussion with Gary & Doug Berg I decided to try their grooved venturis in my IDA’s. They recommended the 40/35mm set with my engine, will increase low end torque as well as add some top end power. Won’t know till I get to the dyno but I trust the Berg’s knowledge and experience so should be promising.

https://youtu.be/JYGtWfaNEIE

Fitted the grooved venturis yesterday and took for a spin today, what a difference :shock: The surge of midrange torque very strong, wasn’t a slouch before but it’s noticeably better. Very happy with the results! :D

Also found myself a 72 cross-over engine bar which is currently being blasted and powder coated which I fit when I fit the new A1 exhaust. Got a couple little jobs too do for next spring, need to fit new brake shoes as it seems the ‘top quality’ wheel cylinders I brought a year ago have decided to leak :roll:

This arrived yesterday :D

A1 sidewinder Stainless steel stepped header with a ‘race bullet’ muffler. Got some copper slip in gaskets and brass nuts arriving tomorrow so this will be Fridays job. Quality and workmanship is amazing and with postage and duty from California it was cheaper than a CSP python from cool air.

Fitted the exhaust and a 72 only engine bar which I picked up and had powder coated. The quality of the exhaust is out of this world, fit is spot on and it sounds amazing. Went for a cross over engine bar due to the stronger design and better ground clearance. Had to round off the Edge of 90 Degree fitting coming out of the oil Pump but bolted straight up and it looks much better (not that it matters)

Now I’ve gained so much ground clearance I may drop it down a bit more too :msn4:

gas1man said:
:lol: :lol: Love this , would Air not be the ultimate solution.??? :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Bags are for putting shopping in... :mrgreen: I dropped the back about an inch but when I nailed it off a roundabout on the test drive the driveshafts rubbed. So I put it back up to how it was lol.

https://youtu.be/43Ky3zPOGnE

Well happy sounds awesome! Although it’s very loud when you nail it so will have to behave in towns lol. The berg grooved vents And new exhaust have Certainly given it a boost in low and mid range grunt

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bags are for shopping ............... Love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to admit , I am not a fan as I will always forget to go up before driving away. :lol: :lol:
Sounds awesome.

J & P

gas1man said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bags are for shopping ............... Love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to admit , I am not a fan as I will always forget to go up before driving away. :lol: :lol:
Sounds awesome.

J & P

Need to set my go pro up and nail it up the bypass as trying to hold my phone, steer and shift while driving around country lanes wasn’t ideal :lol: :lol:

Wow - that 'zorst looks awesome and I could imagine it sounds the muts - nice one :)

Well my bus hadn’t turned a wheel since the first week of November and is tucked away in my workshop till spring. But I’ve still been busy doing stuff...

Put the Allroad to work and collected my mates Brazilian 15 window from balls’d and have to sort the engine so he can sell it. Got full air ride, massive tubs, notches etc. All that nonsense isn’t my cup of tea but sure someone will like it.

In other news I’ve set to work doing a big motor install, various other additions and some general maintenance on Simon’s (69project) 69 sunroof deluxe.

Long block built by Hector Howe
1835cc (92x69)
Forged mahle pistons & barrels
Welded German vw crank
Refurbed German connecting rods
German Volkswagen vanadium flywheel
Stage 1 clutch & dalken disc
Engle w110 camshaft & scat lifters
CB performance 044 heads, 40x35.5 valves
Scat 1.25:1 rockers & bolt up shafts
Chromoly push rods
Dell’orto DRLA 40’s with Velocity stacks
CSP bell crank linkage
Full flow oiling
Fully blue printed & balanced etc
Should be good for 115-120 horsepower

So along with the motor it will be getting a freeway flyer 3 rib box, rebuilt drive shafts m, berg shifter, Autometer gauges and a good winter service. Hopefully he can use it more next year :? because 2020 has sucked.

K@rlos said:

So along with the motor it will be getting a freeway flyer 3 rib box, rebuilt drive shafts m, berg shifter, Autometer gauges and a good winter service. Hopefully he can use it more next year :? because 2020 has sucked.

Nice pic and the engine looks good as well [emoji3]

So, dug the bus out today and took it for mot

Forgot to swap my show plates and red rear lenses for the legal bits :roll: Got an ear full from my mot man :oops: but he let me off as the rest of it was so spotless. To celebrate I took it for a rip along the coast roads :mrgreen:

Latest posts