Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
I might just try a capful of fresh juice down the carb, and that would then prove or remove fuel supply issues.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,just a thought bud. :mrgreen:

Yup. That’s how I think as a nurse. Back to basics. Blood to heart with ? lack of supply (blockage air or gremlin embolus so lack of supply) or leaky central valve and flooding issues. 😳 Although. Andy says the linkage re: fuel supply is all checked and is ok. Mind you. Check it out centrally like Ozzie says....Dump a little bit of ‘Tempting petrol juice’ and if it starts.....👍. VeeDubs are little treasured human beans. So maybe they respond equally. I talk to my bus. Swear I can hear it whispering back. Sometimes it says ‘Thanks for listening’. Sometimes it says ‘Leave me alone. I know what I’m doing’. Good luck Andy. It’s a whisper away.

TDC is easy enough to find. Pop plug #1 out and stick a straw or similar object in to the cylinder in its place. Then rotate the engine via one of the pulleys whilst observing the travel of the straw.
Good luck, dude!

ozziedog said:
I might just try a capful of fresh juice down the carb, and that would then prove or remove fuel supply issues.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,just a thought bud. :mrgreen:
Did think of that - get ready for a video of my hair on fire :roll: ;)

So????
How long have I got to wait for this video of either your motor running or your hair on fire :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,both simultaneously would be a crackin lafff :lol: :roll: ;) :roll: :lol:

Work and life got in the way so nothing done to the van for months - looking to pick up the baton again.
Off work today so this afternoon I popped out to have another look at the engine. Had fully charged the van battery and filled the carb with fuel.
Rigged up a wire so I could start the engine from the engine bay :msn4: .

Using George's idea to check for TDC on piston 1 (cheers for that 8) ) I checked the dizzy and it looks to be correct.

Pored fuel into the carb and gave it a go.
Getting smoke from the zorst but loads of spit back from the carb so not sure what it could be (also checked all the spark plugs and they are all sparking).

Made a poor video and will try to upload so you can hear what's going on.

Here's the vide - having to use to hands to the phone was put down - can see fuel being spat back out of the carb and smoke from the 'zorst:

https://youtu.be/npdsOjVYHi8

Something doesn’t sound right there ! It doesn’t sound as though it’s turning over properly, or trying to fire. I’m sure someone with a bit more mech knowledge will be along soon [emoji106]

mike202 said:
Something doesn’t sound right there ! It doesn’t sound as though it’s turning over properly, or trying to fire. I’m sure someone with a bit more mech knowledge will be along soon [emoji106]

My thoughts also :(

I wrote a lengthy reply but realised it was actually asking more things than was helpful 😅
It doesn't sound like its igniting, but you're getting smoke from the exhaust... all very strange.

Next time you're out looking at it feel free to buzz me on my mobile - happy to try rubber-duck-debug it with you!

Benyon said:
Have you double checked the valve timing Andy?
Never cracked the case so camshaft should still be correct and checked the gaps for the pushrods and correct.

gvee said:
I wrote a lengthy reply but realised it was actually asking more things than was helpful 😅
It doesn't sound like its igniting, but you're getting smoke from the exhaust... all very strange.

Next time you're out looking at it feel free to buzz me on my mobile - happy to try rubber-duck-debug it with you!
Number of times I have written for too much and ended up with just a short sentence ;)
I am home tomorrow so could have another look if OK for you?

subheatadey said:
It seems like the timing or the leads are wrong, I don't know how far from Batley you are but I could come over and try and give you a hand?
I'm in Garforth, according to Google maps, around 30 minutes - would be appreciated if you can cast your eyes over (with proper Covid protocols being followed).

Latest posts