Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gas1man said:
I feel your pain and would be round like a shot , to help figure it out , problem is I stay to far away.
Persistence is a great trait and you have loads, it will finally come right. Keep going Andy.
My electrical gremlins are such a pain in the proverbial, I am also loath to keep asking as I am sure I will
eventually get there. Will be interesting to finally find out why.
You and your family stay safe.

J & P
:D :D :D
Cheers dude for your kind words - plodding on!!
Hope you get to the bottom of your 'pain'......

Anywho. an update :

Die arrived on Sunday so today after work, took the steering box out and set to it.

Nice new clean thread put in.

Just waiting for the new nut to arrive and hope I can then put everything back as it should be :)

Nut for the steering box and the spring for the clutch arrived today so as soon as I got home from work, I set to getting these fitted.
Started with the steering box - the nut screwed on with no issues so all installed - just need to add the pin.

Next, the spring. A picture of the old (left) and the new (right)

You can see the new one will add a lot more resistance than the old one so fashioned this to help fit it - worked a treat.

Good news - it’s on and when the clutch pedal is depressed, it pops back up again with no issues :)
But (always a but) as can be seen from the picture, the circlip flew off and no idea where it went - will have a look over the next few days and hopefully it will turn up!!

sparkywig said:
Hopefully that's the clutch sorted.
What size thread is the steering box shaft?

Aye - once I can find the circlip :?
Steering box shaft is M20 x 1.5

Well - good news for a change :)
Bought another circlip to fit on the clutch bearing shaft thingy - it didn't fit :(
So thought I would sort out the fuel side so shortened the fuel pipe hose I had so the fit was neater and felt something on top of the gearbox.
Only turns out to be the bloody circlip :)

So clutch now all sorted - will sort out the throttle cable and almost ready for fitting the engine now (gulp)

New month and the same old same old!!

After household chores thought I would change the accelerator cable as the current one was bent and buckled and missing the end to connect to the carburettor properly.
Old one came out no problems but the new one would not, it went down the conduit pipe around 7/10 then no more :(

Noticed at the engine end quite a bit of damage to the pipe so have cut out the bad pieces.
Will now after order a length of conduit to add to the original pipe as I have done for a few of the others.

Pic of the pieces taken out….

subheatadey said:
sparkywig said:
C'mon, get the engine in and see if you can move the bus.

When the wheels turn there's going to street parties up and down the country :party0041:
The queen has been informed and if notification is earlier enough it will be a national holiday :lol:

Realised I hadn’t sorted out the cable for the horn to work so out with the steering box and steering column and a bit of fettling:

That’s better, we now have the full complement of cables so just need a new horn as the old one was passed its best.

While I was under the van I thought I would do a trial fit of the pedal tray. Will need to drill a few holes due to repairs but should be OK.

Noticed the other day that the wheels weren’t aligned properly so decided to tackle it tonight.
Using a 9ft piece of straight timber against the rear and front tyres on the nearside (as this side doesn’t have the adjustable steering arms) I set it to around 5mm toe-in.
Went to the off-side and it was around 15mm toe-out!!

Undid the steering arm connection to the hub and wound it out about 20mm then measured again with everything loose.
Still not right so wound out a few more millimetre and all good so fully tightened then measured again and all good.

Noticed now that the turns lock to lock were not right so slid off the pitman arm and worked out where the centre in the steering box is then connected the pitman arm back - all good :)

Another job done.

Fun tomorrow.
Today I got my tube to sort out the throttle pedal cable and also the brake fluid.

Brakes sorted. Poured brake fluid in and one of the junctions was not tight enough - the most awkward one to get to above the gearbox rod.
Once tightened all good. Pumped the pedal a lot and kept topping up after releasing the bleed nipple on the rear nearside drum.
Once some fluid came out and used the Eaziee bleed gizmo to then bleed the system properly.
All done and the pedal has a good feel while the van is static!

Next on the list was to sort out the throttle cable conduit so cut a larger tube and slit it so I could use it as a sleeve - here it is mounted on original tube

The new tube in the sleeve.

Sleeve now welded up and a spot of paint added for protection

Cable pushed through and now waiting for the engine.

Latest posts