Splify 67 built uk panel resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still rubbing down, found I still had some "liquid filler" so brushed that on. Flatted it back yesterday and found some high spots , also decided to fill warp in n/s upper panel so need more filler!!! DAed the drivers door and front panel to get rid of last respray, cant decide if I should take off the blue layer on doors but have to be careful due to layer of filler over most of the door from old repair. Still have passenger and slider to strip paint off using 80 grit disc in DA , its a dusty old job .

Bit the bullet and stripped the many layers of paint and filler from o/s cab door using a paint stripper disc in angle grinder. Can of worms as uncovered a bodge repair with almost 1/2 in of filler. Where the repair section has been fitted to bottom of door it was not joggled and just pushed behind OG panel the gap filled with glass filler . It was bad enough that I was finding OG paint with filler on top, blue paint then more filler then blue and the quick cover up (very rushed) that was done when I had a business . swept up and got 2 shovel full of dust and still loads more to clean up!!! Ordered a door skin , thought I had finished welding but will get some panel glue to hopefully lessen any warpage as join will be just below door handle I think.

Door skin and glue came , cant decide between joining it across middle or full skin bearing in mind I have to sort handle fixing . On it Sunday (have to work 8 to 5 Sat every week) , need to see if frame needs repairs along edges . The uprights under skin have separated from frame at bottom ,OK rusted through. Also find out how accurate the pattern skin is--------------------

Only had 3 hrs on door today but after deciding to fit the whole door skin showed it the grinder!! worked out the only bit different in handle fitting is the rear bit so just cut the bits needed. Managed to trial fit the skin (found it not guilty!!) , just have some slightly wide gaps to weld on joins as in my rush took a few mm to much off. Need to weld a bit of lower edge but frame really good for a 52 year old bit, BTW it was Splifys birthday yesterday.

Well I would have done some differently (some slight cockups) now its all together, still doing filler work as uncovered more filler over layers of paint. Should have just bare metaled it in first place, aint hind sight wonderful!!!! not happy about the amount of filler needed in some bits but to late to redo now. So still rubbing down filler and stripping paint, TBH not a lot of paint left to remove, grill, side covers, engine lid and rear valance I think. Managed to knock out some of the dents warps in lower rear corners so only a thin skim needed now and a lot of places I found were "over filled" due to paint thickness. Doing my best dusty shuffler impression------------

And the dusty shuffler impression continues, still filling and rubbing down. On Hols next week so hopefully will get a few days in, trouble is the filler is not liking the cold and whilst its gone off needs to sit for a while longer before rubbing down. Have brake m/cyl and servo to mount then pedal linkage to fabricate , need to spend a few hours cleaning up the filler dust first before rolling around the floor !!!!

as promised so pics, new door skin and the side that's doing my head in getting it flat.
3mVkJwD.jpg
v0NVAf4.jpg

Keep shuffling master duster, and yes , I reckon you got a weeks worth of cleaning up there and that’s just to find the floor.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, ain’t you finished yet (nearly ? ) :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Found the floor!!! had enough dusty crap so having a go at fitting the servo, mounting plate made and it just needs welding to beam. Next is to fab up a pedal linkage, have to make some "towers" to weld to underside of chassis with bearings in. Yes let the hot rodder loose!!!

Well made the pedal linkage up, found 2 beetle pedal sets and 2 spindles welded together are perfect width. cut off pedals have made bearings and all the brackets have been fabbed from my "scrap" box of handy shit.Just need to fab a bracket to strengthen the bracket on servo end as it flexes . Photos when sorted

Well now the festivities are over managed to get a morning in, finished the bracket on servo end . Think I will weld the arms on shaft as don't trust that circlip and adding grease nipples to bearings . Took some pics
w19po3U.jpg
BPWY8vT.jpg
rG52vqB.jpg

Managed to do a bit today, fitted the ATE master cylinder and now the pedal works!!!! The Empi one didn't want to move but now I can fit the remote filler. Started to work out the pipe work but it was so cold and damp, space heater just made it "rain" when the frost inside the roof of my unit melted so gave up. Roll on spring----

not going well made all the brake pipes up but since then have been ill with cold that turned into chest infection, cleared up but has returned . Managed to do a bit of filler work the other day Decided to have a good tidy up and get rid of as much filler dust as I can . Will be glad when it starts to warm up then I might be able to crack on

67panel said:
Will be glad when it starts to warm up then I might be able to crack on

Ditto! Me un Vinvan used to work most of the winter on the bus (and Isetta) when restoring. Can't face it these days - getting soft in my old age. Bring on the warmer weather!

Have had a recurring chest infection since start of FEB so not much done but done some today as in self isolation due to age and weak chest . Can get to unit without seeing anyone so still isolated!! Remade the drag link to improve alignment but will need to get the relay arm modified so the ball joint can go in from under side. Easy enough and if I had a lathe could make it myself, just a top hat with taper inside to fit in arm after drilling it out. Started painting brackets and bits for steering and brakes so will fit them tomorrow if its dried-------

Well managed to fit a load of brake and suspension stuff after spending ages finding bits, well it was 2 years ago when some of it was taken off!!!

Good news have a 3 week furlough , now most of the filler work is basically done in the rough . Pin holes and ripples to check for . Have to move stuff around in unit, can bring some home as have a single garage so stuff like seats will be moved. Cant move the drag bike as no trailer and cant borrow one ATM so its a move stuff around till it fits in time!!! Have a set of very heavy duty shelfing , takes an 8x4 sheet of ply but its only 2 shelfs so thinking if I shorten it so its 2ft deep and make it 4 shelfs then I will open up a lot of floor space and make it much easier to find bits . Good days work though.

Latest posts