1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have however treated the bus to a spa day, it was very dusty and had lots of finger prints over it from the rebuild, my mate Damo did a blinding job :mrgreen:

The beautiful in my opinion

Well I’m finally in my new Workshop do work on my bus and customers vw’s can resume.

gninnam said:
Nice workshop (and customer vehicles) :)

Thanks :D white bus is mine of course. Blue bus came to me stock, I’ve fitted a new loom, narrowed beam, dropped spindles. spring plates & shocks as well as a 5 rib gearbox and a nice 1776 with an Engle w110 & twin 40’s built by my engine man Hector Howe. Blue bug is a 1958 Swedish import, has had a full restoration and I’m now finishing bolting it all together. Powder coated pan fully detailed underside etc and will be for sale once finished.

Tying up all the loose ends now

Made a ‘westy’ speaker panel :mrgreen:

And also fitted a spice rack lol

So, Due to running bigger motors with headers & j tubes for a number of years I’ve not had a heater for the 10 of the 12 yrs that I’ve owned the bus. It never really bothered me until Skeg Vegas this year when I got soaked and couldn’t dry my clothes. My mate Will fires up his heater and dried them out for me which made me have a major change of attitude. This as well as the added luxury of being warm while driving and sleeping drove me to invest....

Opted for a 12v 5kw diesel cab heater, it’s included an LCD control screen with a timer and thermostat etc as well as a remote control. The HGV’s I used to work on had a 5kw heater and that was a size for then and seeing as the interior of a baywindow is a fair bit bigger it should be more than suitable.

This purchase has also made the missus happy :mrgreen:

All looks great, love the heating. And they are some serious seat-belts!

I have a propex heater that the PO installed, this requires that I carry (many) 3.9kg propane bottles (no idea how long each one lasts). I'm thinking of changing to a diesel one, which one did you get?

fallingoffalot said:

I have a propex heater that the PO installed, this requires that I carry (many) 3.9kg propane bottles (no idea how long each one lasts). I'm thinking of changing to a diesel one, which one did you get?

I've got a Propex running off Campingaz, a 907 bottle lasts all year.

sparkywig said:
fallingoffalot said:

I've got a Propex running off Campingaz, a 907 bottle lasts all year.
Ah ok, and that's a 2.75kg, should be ok then, I'll leave as is, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Yeah the harnesses weren’t a planned thing, but I got offered them cheap so thought why not. Plus they go with the drag racing twang in the styling 8)

Roof is finished and ready to fit :mrgreen: Got a new canvas in the correct mustard colour and all new seals etc to go with it. That will be Mondays job

Where abouts are you fitting the fuel tank for the heater and do you think a 8k heater would be overkill?

paul_q said:
Where abouts are you fitting the fuel tank for the heater and do you think a 8k heater would be overkill?

I’ve got a 5 litre tank that fits perfectly in the bottom of the wardrobe, it’s only 5kw not 8 lol. I don’t think so, I loose a lot of heat through the poptop canvas, plus don’t need to run it flat out. The trucks at a haulage firm I was a mechanic & driver for had 5kw heaters and a sleeper cab of a truck is probs a bit smaller than the interior space of a bay and they were fine.

Yes I saw yours is 5k just wondering if you thought a 8k would be to much as the price isn't that much extra. But if a 5k is okay in a poptop it would be plenty on a tintop in guessing

paul_q said:
Yes I saw yours is 5k just wondering if you thought a 8k would be to much as the price isn't that much extra. But if a 5k is okay in a poptop it would be plenty on a tintop in guessing

Ah sorry, miss read your comment. An 8 would be way too much, tbf most people only use a 2kw but I’m hoping this will heat the awning too

Bus is the nuts dude. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Botophucket are crap , buggered up my whole thread. Hey Ho.
Good luck with the planned trip to Europe. Hoping to get Abel to build
Boris a new heart for 2021 Big saving going on. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts