Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fallingoffalot said:
Glad to see you got the heater tubing sorted, great work with the welding!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Cheers dude - glad yours is moving forward too - amazing what some owners do.......

After welding the ends up carried out a trial fit to make sure all was good and so far it is.

Front end:

20190825_150419_zpsusvqcl6j.jpg

20190825_150426_zpseckiuipp.jpg

Rear end:

20190825_150432_zpsfaf7qshi.jpg

20190825_150438_zpsqllcexum.jpg

Not too bad so will look to paint.
Decided to trial fit the long cupboard - been out of the van for over 13 years. The floor with the covering is about 1cm higher so the cupboard will need to be reduced by that amount. May look to trial fit the rest of the interior over the next few weeks (plus give me so much more room in the garage :) )

20190825_160938_zpshhc14f59.jpg

Applied Epoxy Mastic to the heater tubes:

20190825_183040_zpslqtdfgkh.jpg

The rear bumper:

20190825_183043_zps7laid2ig.jpg

Also put some epoxy mastic on the steering column and associated parts:

20190825_183053_zpswohtbet8.jpg

20190825_183058_zpsjekojayu.jpg

20190825_183104_zpsuf2cmcr8.jpg

Off on hols next week so will look to install them after then - onwards and upwards!!

Added sound deadening stuff to the area above the engine:

20190907_182602_zpsvhihyhug.jpg

Also refitted the gearbox and this time connected it to the gearbox linkage (on my own):

20190907_164432_zpstuuqazbv.jpg

20190907_182953_zpsqtodjyrr.jpg

20190907_182927_zpse3h68dfy.jpg

Will look to add the rest of the interior to check it for fitment as the height will be a few millimetres higher now so I can work out how much to reduce the units by.
Plus, will start to add the various cables then tidy up the steering wheel and the front of the van and look to finish the engine and get it in………..

Spent today doing a bit of tidying up (removing the off cuts from the van into the garage) to create some space in the van so I can look to start the interior.
But, before doing that I need to get the heater tube fitted with the cut down Y piece.
So, mounted everything in position and tried to work out the best way to get it to stay still at the engine end (fits nicely in the hole at the drivers end so all good there).

Decided to make something to hold it in place, so using CAD, I came up with what you see in the pics - just needs tidying up and painting. Used stainless steel screws from an old washing machine I dismantled…..)

20190908_165252_zps120srg66.jpg

20190908_165321_zpsr1zjj67l.jpg

‘So I can look to start the interior’. What a great phrase! Music to our ears. Great assembly work underneath too. Love the cut and paste adaptation thinking. And the recycling ethic of using washing machine screws. If they can handle a full on rattle about from side to side machine spin cycle? A gentle jaunt at 46 mph (down a hill to reach that heady speed) in a dub? It’s a cinch.

graysummers said:
‘So I can look to start the interior’. What a great phrase! Music to our ears. Great assembly work underneath too. Love the cut and paste adaptation thinking. And the recycling ethic of using washing machine screws. If they can handle a full on rattle about from side to side machine spin cycle? A gentle jaunt at 46 mph (down a hill to reach that heady speed) in a dub? It’s a cinch.
Cheers - love your comment 'If they can handle a full on rattle about from side to side machine spin cycle? A gentle jaunt at 46mph in a dub? It's a cinch'
:lol:

Hurrah - got the gear stick on and the movement is really good.
Only issue is from third to fourth, I could hear it catching something at the back.
Had a look and could see it was catching slightly on the last H beam so will need a little fettling but nothing massive so fairly happy :)

20190911_193630_zps0deahcpj.jpg

No idea where the gear knob is………...

Fitted the brake and clutch pedals tonight and had a look at fitting the clutch cable.
It wasn’t long enough :(
According to the sticker on the pack and JK’s web site this is the correct one, but when I attached it to the leaver at the gearbox end and pulled it tight at the clutch pedal end, with the clutch pedal was up, it measured short by around 75mm……….

The 68 to 71 cable shows as 3254 so still to short - or is it me??

Pic of the sticker.

20190917_182424_zpskptwiv4q.jpg

Fitted the speedo cable which went well.

20190917_191326_zpsuxc4va7r.jpg

20190917_191331_zpsvvxqk5tb.jpg

Another one for you guys….. Then tried to put the heater cables in. Cut the ends off at the engine end and when I pull them they don’t budge - is it just a case of more brute force??

Cheers

Nice progress - massive respect for doing all this work yourself!
Regarding the heater cables, I reckon that they'll only move if you actually move the leavers in the cab. I would check my bus as I was fiddling with them recently, but it is at a garage having some work done. :oops:

fallingoffalot said:
Nice progress - massive respect for doing all this work yourself!
Regarding the heater cables, I reckon that they'll only move if you actually move the leavers in the cab. I would check my bus as I was fiddling with them recently, but it is at a garage having some work done. :oops:
Thanks.

I have disconnected them from the leavers at the front and pulled them through so they are now free under the van. When I pull the outside sheaf (is that what you call it?) it just stretches and doesn't appear to budge.
Tomorrow I will try pulling both the outside and inside at the same time to see if I have any joy.

Hi Andy ,
I had the same problem when I changed mine. In the end I used brute force and turned the grips
slowly around so that the outer cover, mine were metal spring like, got ever so smaller diameter
and with brute force added they gave way. Rusted like crazy. Hope this helps .

J & P
:D :D :D

Attached the clutch cable to the pedal first then to the arm at the gearbox end (with the wing nut only on by about 5mm).
With the pedal fully up (as in clutch would be engaged) the arm is not perpendicular and when you look at the clutch release bearing is pushed out by about 5cm.

20190918_174600_zpsp1svriuu.jpg

20190918_174629_zpsydd79wry.jpg

Looks to me like the cable is too short!

Then to the heater cables………

Started to work on the nearside one first doing as suggested by twisting and pulling - it started to move. Got about 30cm out then went very easy.
I thought “great, cracked it”…….. Then noticed that the cable was uncoiling and ended up with just unwound coild about 10ft in length.
Looks like the outer sheath is stuck inside (could be from welding the conduit to the chassis….)

Really hard to pull now so gave up this evening and will have another go tomorrow.

20190918_190128_zpsy9q9flgz.jpg

All good fun I suppose :)

Squirt loads of WD40/plusgas/etc down through the heater cable conduits and leave overnight.
With regards to the clutch cable it does long slightly short, have you actually measured the cable supplied?
Do you have the old one to compare it with?

Latest posts