1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitted the bumpers today, amazing work from Richard as usual. Edging closer to be finished, just need to get the pop top finished, fit a new canvas and fit it.

Never intended on doing a full resto and build to this spec but I’m so glad I did :mrgreen:

Look at the shine on that :mrgreen:

Got a couple more little jobs done and after speaking to Sparkywig I invested in so of the Buttys Bits J tube tins. My motor never runs hot but every little helps.

Been having a bash at upholstery, not a professional quality job but I’m happy with. Bus has always had black rear seats so the black leather panels, door cards and sun visors with the black padded US dash should result in a nice and snug interior.

Looks great buddy - its all coming together nicely
You taking it to Skeg?

StuF said:
Looks great buddy - its all coming together nicely
You taking it to Skeg?

Cheers man

I was hoping to but after sanding the pop top down I’ve discovered it needs quite a bit of work, the gel coat isn’t in the greatest shape :( So that’s killed the chance of bringing it to skeg. Shame as that’s all it really need to hit the road properly. I’ve took it out 3-4 times near the workshop on nice days without the roof and it’s running & driving a dream.

Steady progress still, interior is nearly done and I’ve finally fitted the NOS jail bars I’ve had since the beginning of time.

Took it out for another spin too :D

https://youtu.be/U1g2NgMP6CA

And for those who reckon you can’t run 48 IDA’s, big valves and a big cam in a bus. Here you have it... Crisp, smooth and pulls hard from low RPM :mrgreen:

Appears the link won’t work :roll:

If you wanna see the video search 2110, Engle FK10 and IDA’s on YouTube. The video is rather short, hit the stop button by mistake but you’ll get the idea lol

Took the bus for a couple more short drives, motor needs some idle jet tweeks to sort the notorious 48 IDA progression flat spot but that gonna be too much of an issue as my friend hector who built my motor knows more about vw engines than anyone on the planet and is an IDA guru :D But other than that it’s running really strong and just wants to go but the rev limiter in the ignition control box is set at 4500rpm for running in purposes so not really able to use it to its full potential.

Also having to rethink my approach to the brakes :|

I’ve fitted disc brakes kits with 4 pot wilwoods to a few buses and the stock drum master cylinder has always been up to the job, however with the Porsche turbo’s I’ve got on mine it’s struggling to make the pressure needed. So, after quite a bit of research and pestering the f*ck out of Mycha :lol: I’ve decided to go for a stock servo assisted master cylinder set up from a later bus but due to the cammy nature of my stroker motor I’ll be using an electric Hella vacuum pump mounted under the cab floor.

Plus I don’t wanna ruin my original Scat-trac manifolds by drilling a hole in the for a vac take off :msn4:

Got the same problem with mine, flat spot until 2000 rpm. Bogging down with to much fuel but ratio looks okay after 2000 rpm. Let me know how you get on. Have you got 2 or 3 progression holes?

paul_q said:
Got the same problem with mine, flat spot until 2000 rpm. Bogging down with to much fuel but ratio looks okay after 2000 rpm. Let me know how you get on. Have you got 2 or 3 progression holes?

Only 2, if you know what you’re doing with the jetting and tune the 3rd progression hole isn’t needed. Mine isn’t that bad of a flat spot though, it’s only momentary, like a split second when pulling away.

Went down my workshop after work, had a bit of a fettle and I’ve pretty much ironed out the stumble, opened the idle mixture screws up a bit and the difference is night and day. So hopefully with a bit more tweaking and fine tuning then a good session on the rolling road and I should be sorted.

All been quite on the bus front for a while, made a fair bit of progress with restoring the westy roof. Was in a very bad way, needed a lot of repairs as well as a repaint

But sadly over the past couple of weeks work has been slow due to various reasons...

Had eventful trip to France with my mate Darren to go rescue his westy from after he managed to mince a rear drum and stub axle at Spa lol. Seems a 2 litre stroker, heavy foot and am F1 track was a bit much. So loaded his Porsche Cayenne up with tools and parts, drove there, fixed the bus and I drove it home.

Then I got a letter telling me I have till the 30th of September to empty my workshop as it’s being flattened to build houses :( which really pissed me of but every cloud....

Found a much bigger and nicer workshop for :mrgreen:

Latest posts