Rolling roaded!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushoarder

Reaction score
At last I got the bus rolling road tested this week and it made a lot more hp than I was expecting!

Novatech in Slough did the work and he’s a great chap.

1800 type 4 upright Cali cooling
Industrial engine with unknown internals other than the big valve heads.
Weber 40s and 4-1 exhaust.

It made 83hp and 96ftlb of torque, which was a very flat curve like a v8 Andy commented.

a91eae120732e29fdbca6928efc1db2c.jpg
4ca0b24dd76482dc842f26a7494be199.jpg

Today I fitted jail bars and roof hold down toggles so it feels like it’s coming along. Sorted out the steering, bled brakes and made one ambulance can go quiet!!

Off to Tenby in it on Sunday with our friends in their splitty and type 3.

Added additional cooler last weekend:

e56b08ac1b91ce68841f68c7c5cdd23c.jpg
0a75383fa7db7ecc04e4e02656030d5c.jpg
f84350fe6db9c8c21f35ef983ad020ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good figures but Please get some proper high pressure crimped oil lines made and throw those push on/ hose clip pieces of junk in the bin. If they pop off under pressure (which they do) you'll wreck your engine in seconds and you'll have 0 horsepower

Indeed, they are temporary hoses only. All the fittings are proper hydraulic with some meaty barbs unlike some of the brass crap about.

One of the jobs to do before any more long runs, amongst new exhaust, quiet air cleaners and ditching the crappy hex bar linkage.

Hi Bushoarder, nice figures, I got similar from my 1776, 85bhp & 105lb-ft. I don't know about you but I find that the nice flat V8 curve goes with V8 petrol consumption!

One thing I changed was to put some velocity stacks on my IDF40s, which have given it even more low down grunt.
871bde4ab2f6de2136e954fddbf0dbd9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Nice figures! Good to see how they stack up - I would have expected around 100hp from a 1776 a la volksworld budget build - depends on spec I guess.

Great torque profile though - that’s what makes all the difference!

Mine is certainly v8 fuel consumption, the 40s are quite thirsty particularly around town. On a run it’s not too bad. I think the big valve heads suck the juice! It’s a totally stock engine and I know the later 2000 engines had smaller valves for around 70hp output so I think that indicates the difference it makes.

I’ve always had trumpets on the carbs so I don’t know what it would be like without. Perhaps longer trumpets would make more low down grunt - I have 40mm items on mine.

I’ve got 48 IDA’s on my 2110 and they are horrendous around town, pretty good on a run though. I get about 210 miles to a full tank.

Yeah I’m sure those idas are a bit thirsty!! I think my bus does 20 mpg average.

What hp and torque have you got there Karlos?

Bushoarder said:
I would have expected around 100hp from a 1776 a la volksworld budget build - depends on spec I guess.

100bhp, that's quite a stretch from 85, now I'm curious... what do I need for 100 bhp? Mind you haven't had it on the rolling road since adding the trumpets. I was going to pop back to JPR Tuning in Yate for another session - the guy did mention that adding the trumpets may require different jets, but then lockdown :(

Bushoarder said:
Yeah I’m sure those idas are a bit thirsty!! I think my bus does 20 mpg average.

What hp and torque have you got there Karlos?

Made 181hp @ 7000rpm & 179 ft-lbs 6200rpm :mrgreen:

That was with the fan belt and muffler fitted, drop the belt and bolt the stinger on it will easily make 200 +

fallingoffalot said:
Bushoarder said:
I would have expected around 100hp from a 1776 a la volksworld budget build - depends on spec I guess.

100bhp, that's quite a stretch from 85, now I'm curious... what do I need for 100 bhp? Mind you haven't had it on the rolling road since adding the trumpets. I was going to pop back to JPR Tuning in Yate for another session - the guy did mention that adding the trumpets may require different jets, but then lockdown :(

Not a stretch at all, Good 1776’s should make 100Hp all day long. Me & hector have Built & fitted a few. Engle w110, ported stock heads & valves with twin 40’s. Trumpets won’t get you 15hp. What spec is your engine?

The spec I’ve still got the bits for and never built was reckoned at 100hp:
W110 cam
Counterweighted 69mm crank
Stock ported heads
Blueprinted parts
Twin 40 idfs.

Got a brand New Mexican case somewhere!

I’ve got an SC12 supercharger at home that I bought to go on the type 4, just haven’t done it as when I start fiddling it means no camper! Looking at that plus a DCOE 40 carb eventually or even efi...

Too many projects, I need to get the bus finished first before I start fiddling again - the gearbox drones like a bastard so I do need another one.

And then I’ve still not finished the 1303 German looker due to kids and the bus!

K@rlos said:
fallingoffalot said:
Bushoarder said:

Not a stretch at all, Good 1776’s should make 100Hp all day long. Me & hector have Built & fitted a few. Engle w110, ported stock heads & valves with twin 40’s. Trumpets won’t get you 15hp. What spec is your engine?
It's a 1776 from Heritage. Has IDF40s, not sure about the rest.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Latest posts