Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got admirable stamina mate, that first drive out is going to be pretty special.

SiDev said:
You've got admirable stamina mate, that first drive out is going to be pretty special.
Or just a glutten for punishment :roll:
Hope once all together it works as it should but I bet it won't.....

It’ll definitely work, but, as you know, these old beauties love to have a big, wide grin when they’re up and on the road. It’ll have been a long, long time in strip/repair/renovate/restore processes and when it’s done.....suddenly they have something to smile about. So, subsequently they have cheek and jaw muscle ache and teething troubles.Then it’s little diagnoses and creating cures. Sometimes it’s as simple as applying a plaster. Sometimes it’s an IV infusion. Oh! And smiles are catching. We’re all gonna smile when the engine turns over, burbles and bites and moves forwards a few feet. But.....Your a natural with technical stuff. Be a piece of cake for you, fixing the niggles. And, as you know, there’s always someone on here with an answer who’s had similar said ‘niggles’. Looking great by the way.

Haveacamper said:
Great progress Andy.

I saw your comments about needing to get new bolts. Have you been replacing all the bolts? Dont suppose you have kept a log of all the sizes/lengths? :)
Tried to use some of the original ones once cleaned up unless obviously past the best or used in an area where they may stretch, and regards a log, nay lad ;)

Managed to get the fan housing seated properly now and connected up to the thermostat rod so now screwed down

20190430_193518_zpssfshisag.jpg

20190430_194112_zpsapfhepla.jpg

Trying to get the fan off the dynamo so I can start to put the alternator together.
Will start to install the inlet manifolds next then onwards and upwards :)

gninnam said:
Haveacamper said:
Great progress Andy.

I saw your comments about needing to get new bolts. Have you been replacing all the bolts? Dont suppose you have kept a log of all the sizes/lengths? :)
Tried to use some of the original ones once cleaned up unless obviously past the best or used in an area where they may stretch, and regards a log, nay lad ;)

You are no use to me then :p haha.

Keep up the good work mate!

A few more bits added.
The carb manifold (and the carb loosely put on).

20190501_192320_zpsbnfvvois.jpg

20190501_192328_zpskrsv3npc.jpg

Woodruff key was missing for the fitment at the end of the dynamo so made one:

20190501_194307_zpshod1wtld.jpg

All ready now.

20190501_194322_zpssffuxqmj.jpg

And it failed when I used brute force to get the nut off :(
Should I just weld on the end the pulley as the dynamo is very noisy?

I would expect it to be the original.
I have bought an alternator to replace it so if I have to muller it then so be it ;)

Epic fail - welded a nut to the end and with help from my son we managed to just snap the threaded end off of the dynamo.
Will take it to a garage to see if they can help........

Remembered that I hadn’t tackled the fire board (in my case metal) that goes above the engine and connects to the bottom of the rear deck..
It had been cut by the PO as the carburetor they had used was none standard and was too tall so the last few days I have been cleaning them up - will fabricate some new metal, weld it in and then put them back before the engine goes in.

20190513_193426_zpsv6x80ima.jpg

20190513_195342_zpsioejv2g7.jpg

20190514_190243_zps2iica1hh.jpg

Hope to get them fit for purpose this week.

Made up an edge piece using some scrap metal (having squared off the area removed first)

20190515_204238_zpsohydv8at.jpg

20190515_204320_zps21lf6w3u.jpg

20190515_204324_zpshrwjhq5m.jpg

Added some more metal to bridge the gap.

20190515_205251_zps3gud9rsx.jpg

Just need to tidy everything up then can weld the new metal in.
Not sure whether to bother putting in some holes…..

Try and make the parts for the other piece to fill the cut tomorrow.

Latest posts