1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had my mate at the local hose place make me up some high pressure Teflon oil pipes with AN-10 fittings, it astounds me people spend 4-5k on big motors but then still skimp on things like this. Seen a few engines with push on hoses & hose clamps blow a pipe off with cold thick oil upping the oil pressure.

Dash is pretty much complete now. The Motorola radio is only hooked up to the dash lights so it illuminates at night but my actual radio is an iPod compatible unit in the glove box

Agree with what you say about the pipes - can't be to carefull !!
Dash is looking very nice - good job :)

gninnam said:
Agree with what you say about the pipes - can't be to carefull !!
Dash is looking very nice - good job :)

Thanks mate, I’m happy with it :D

The bus lives, after 2 1/2 years of hard work, late nights and lots of money it roared into life :mrgreen:

Now, how does 1 upload videos onto here :?:

https://youtu.be/P2UFx8EZUco

It lives :mrgreen: Been wanting to up date this, got more pics to add but photobucket is being a twat :roll:

Modified the westy wardrobe so now it’s actually useable storage rather than a wasted use of space.

Scored an NOS interior mirror too :D

Also changed the engine oil & filter and adjusted the valve lash after the cam burn.

Forgot how expensive servicing a hot vw motor is :cry: :lol:

Best part of a £100 there :roll:

Even though I don’t have the bumpers or pop top fitted yet I took it for a spin, I couldn’t stop myself. After 2 1/2 years of not driving my bus it felt amazing to be behind the wheel of the old girl again and f*ck me does it go now :shock:

Anyone who’s ever been in my will agree it was no slouch before and would happily light the tyres up but the refreshed and upgraded motor makes how it was before feel tame. I was expecting the bottom end grunt and drivability to be a lot less due to having such a wild cam, Weber 48’s and a lot bigger heads... However, although yes it’s lost a bit of the bottom end it’s still very torquey and pulls hard off idle, I guess that’s the advantage of a big stroker but once you get it onto cam at about 3500 rpm the note of the motor changes and it goes mad! Pulled to nearly 6000rpm with no effort at all in 2nd & 3rd :mrgreen: I suspect this will hit 7.5-8000 rpm and still be making power. Sadly I’ll have to wait, get a few miles on it and run it in properly before really giving it some.

Can’t fooking wait :mrgreen:

Congratulations !!!! And glad to see botophucket is still working.
Bet it is going to be awesome.

J & P
:D :D :D

Splashed out on a decent battery. Need a decent 1 to turn the motor over as it’s quite high compression and it will accompany the 75amp alternator perfectly when it comes to running the additional electrics like the Holley fuel pump, Mallory ignition and the big fan on the remote cooler

Latest posts