1969 - GGL 468G

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome mate. Those covers look really nice and filled, I have seen a few people do them and they look like they need more padding but yours look really nice.
Keep up the good work!!

The dashboard paint I mentioned ages ago never happened, so I'm doing it this spring. I'll be having the front end rewired by Aircooled Auto Elec NW while it's out.

Now I know this used to be a Dormobile I know this little plate on the dash, which was covered by silver paint, was the Dormobile serial number plate. I've gently sanded away a bit of it to see if any of the original design is left but it looks like it's just the stamped serial number that remains. I might see if I can replicate the old logo.

Behind the plate seems to be the last evidence of the original colour too. It matches what the m code said it should be. It probably looked really nice.

:

I test painted the glove box door to make sure I'm actually capable of painting. Here it is fitted to the silver dash to compare. And yes, I've noticed I fitted the lock upside down.
:|

I miiiiiiight do the dash red and have the glove box, ash tray and instrument cluster white. Not sure yet.

It's a good job someone who knows what they're doing is coming to replace all this because if I had a thousand years I wouldn't be able to make any sense of it.

my dash n fusebox wiring was a mission 🙃 I had nothing working + googled n then trail n errors b4 i managed to get things in dash pod to work then sort water leak onto fusebox +find were that should fit 🤔 + repair broken earth near fusebox still to do lights as got no side lights yet but horn indicators work 😦.Rigged new wiring to screenwashers.Then it was rear lights....😣 only to find not earthen + strange wires to split charger + interior lights. Still rewiring nearly 12months on 🤒

fuse box work in progress

I did consider trying it myself but I'd only start a fire. Respect to you for putting the effort in.

After many hours the dashboard top is out. Pretty much every bolt was stuck.

I don't think this has been out in a while. The rubber trim has the dreaded splits in it. If anyone knows of a way to improve them, I think full on fixing is near impossible given what they're made of, I'd love to hear some ideas.

Also have you ever started an "easy" job and by the end of it you've taken the doors off?

did all same on mine still have some wiring left main problem was water leak arond w.screen + a lack of eaths around a floating fusebox. 🙈The previous owner helped by having fuse box wrapped in tesco bag just to keep it moist..........🤔
need to get fixed asap as would like to use this year aiming for Bristol so needs to be done end of May :lol:

The end of May is my target date for having this "done" too so I can finally get a couple of weeks use out of it. Then next year I can start fixing all the rough looking welds dotted around.

wait till u try putting doors back on + then building then back up.😭
Still need to adjust mine when I can get a bit of help it's a proper ball ache 😤

ps. Still having nightmares about fitting door rubber seals 😨 and not fitted them yet still on to do list 🤔

I know your pain with the door seals. I can't shut the door if they're on all way round so I cut the bottom section off completely. I don't know if it's down to the door adjustment or the step being too high

got new step to fit on n/s so hope I can make mine fit🤔welder packed up + need bit more practicing b4 i attempt step😧

There, full dash out. What a stupid idea that was. I read somewhere it takes about an hour to do but it took me 2 Saturdays and an hour today. So many stripped screws and stuck bolts. Not recommended.

The last one shows the radio slot seems to have been roughly expanded at some point then covered with some sheet steel. I'll be leaving that as it is, since I don't want a radio in there anyway and it looks nice and neat from the front.

Since I've already made a massive mess I've order an MCJ Rosewood steering wheel. I'm kind of 50/50 on whether or not I'll like the look of it but I thought I'd take a chance since it's probably the optimal time for it.

I've also gone off the idea of the red dash so I'll be doing it all white. I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow though.

I thought I'd replace the knackered heater levers, the bits that stick through the dash anyway, while I had everything out. As I pulled one out the metal clip bit pinged off, bounced off the roof and landed right down the the central pipe. It'll be interesting trying to get that out

Latest posts