1969 - GGL 468G

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just been laying in the back of my empty bus, staring into the sky through the sunroof as you do, and I think I've noticed something.

The size of the opening in the roof when you disregard the fibreglass stuff (183cm), along with the position of the opening (extending just over the cab) and the position of some hastily filled in old hinge fixing holes is making me think this used to have a Dormobile roof on it at some point.

I hope I'm wrong because that would be extremely depressing.

Sat in the garden having had to many beers in the nice weather...
Listening to tunes with the missus and annoying the neighbours.

20180505_220827_zps8ptphpn5.jpg

Nice turntable mate, just purchased a Audio Technic LP60. Cheap enough but my first foray into vinyl since I was a kid.

exuptoy said:
Nice turntable mate, just purchased a Audio Technic LP60. Cheap enough but my first foray into vinyl since I was a kid.

Can you workk out the TT from the pic?
Had a turntable (or a few) for ever - never not had one even during the digital age :)

I'm going to choose to believe it's a Dormy, whether or not it's correct. I've always thought the Viking bellows look a bit like a hernia.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a Dormy roof/

Hi, I know friends who owned "giggles" as she was fondly known back in 1996. It had a dormobile roof and interior plus a 1600cc goldseal engine. She was LITERALLY dug out of someone's front garden before being restored back to glory. It's Nice to see it still around. Shame about the roof though, as I personally thought the dormobile ones were the best!

That's superb! I would never have expected to learn about this buses life before the last owner. : )

I definitely need to restore the roof now too.

Got myself a new (old) gear stick to replace my old (new) Scat shifter. I've only driven 2 buses before but the one with the stock shifter seemed way nicer to me.

Still need all the peripheral bits for it though and that aluminium knob (c&c apparantly) needs switching to something a bit more classic.

20180609_154145.jpg

Hurray, my first ever lost hub cap! I watched it skitter into a hedge from the rear view mirror and everything.

BoggyB said:
Found it! Shouldn't have bothered really considering the condition it's in.

Mine went rolling along on the M62 so never retrieved it - at least you managed to get yours :D

I'll be spraying the dash the same colour as the white bits this week so here's some before pics. If it's a disaster I'll not post the after and will just disappear from the forum.

The ash tray is strangely rusty. Maybe it was used to store brine at some point.

Here's my temporary interior lighting solution until I get around to replacing all that mouse chewed wiring. A portable led lamp wedged into a handle. Frankly it works just as well as anything.

Assuming all goes well I'll be able to get the interior wall panels, floor tiles, seat covers and roof lining fitted and it'll stop looking like this.

The disgusting passenger seat is also full of spiders as an added bonus.

Then I need to find a full Dormobile roof from somewhere, so if anyone has any leads...

Oh yeah it's also had a new custom built front axle (early design with added disk brake compatibility), front shock absorbers, steering damper, buttys bits accelerator linkage (really nicely made by the way, recommended), rear brake back plates (one had a fist sized hole in it), new rear drums, cylinders and shoes.

It drives lovely now. I'm also now reasonably confident that this is going to be quite a nice right hand driver when I'm done with it. The sense of despair has gone anyway.

I need to find someone local ish to help with replacing some perfectly functional but hideous welding but apart from that it's actually alright.

Door cards. The rust on the cab floor is actually a pile of rust dust I buzzed off the underside of the seats, not on the actual floor. I've cleaned it out since.

20180930-143448.jpg

Back bit, with carpet. Mind the mess. The bus takes up most of the garage so it's a pain in the arse cleaning it out after working on it, since I'm generally too lazy to just reverse it out.

20190209-191229.jpg

Sliding door panel. Massive hassle attaching this one and it's still slightly too far to the left by about 4mm.

20190209-184659.jpg

Passenger seat down to the frame. Lots of crud to clean off, a bit of paint and the new padding and covers will be ready to go on. I never like binning original stuff but the vinyl on this was less 'rat look' and more into 'mobile crack den look' territory.

20190210-173440.jpg

There's a rusty Lee full width bed and some Delilahs cushions on the way so i need to get the floor tiles fitted ready for that going in. I'm starting to wish I'd just bought a big vinyl sheet.

Thanks, I think they're going to be the nicest bit by the end.

Passenger seat done, I cut myself on the metal clips on the back of the seat more than I'd like to admit. Here's a photo taken after the blood was scrubbed off.

20190216-155059.jpg

Latest posts