'69 Savannah Deluxe continued.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dubbedup67 said:
Seriously loving the van dude.can I ask what tyre sizes your running?

Thanks :D . The fronts are 165/50 15's and the rears 185/55 15s. I could probably go a bit bigger on the back which may help with gearing but the fronts may start to rub if i went for a taller tyre with the bus running at this height.

Inspired by a post from Cornishsilver on here a couple of weeks ago i thought i'd have a go at upgrading my pressure operated washer to an electric pump. As my washer button was knackered anyway i had nothing to lose if it all went wrong.

I bought the required normally open type switches and a universal 12V washer pump off ebay for the grand total of £7.26

I then set about cutting about 9mm off the end of the washer switch. Once the excess was cut off i ran a 5mm drill into the switch to make room for the new push button. With a 5mm hole the switch just screws in cutting it's own thread and is a great fit.

With this done you end up with this.

I rigged up a temporary 12V supply just to test it all worked.

And the money shot! :D

I fitted the motor under the dash where i could re use the existing pipework.

The eagle eyed ones among you will have noticed that the pump installed is different to one tested. The original one worked fine on the bench when the water supply was level with the pump but it didn't like it when asked to pump water from the reservoir about a foot below it. I had a scout about on ebay again and found a Lucas pump for about £12 which works a treat.

Mark

The state of my cab door rubbers have been bugging me for a while so i thought i'd sort them out for the new season.

One piece windows in a bus anyone?

I didn't have the kit to drill out the rivets so i thought i'd just make a small cut in the seal. She doesn't see much rain so didn't think it would do any harm.

Job Done. The inner scrapers were a bit of a bitch to get in but i got there in the end.

We made a spur of the moment trip to Deva Dubs and Rods last weekend. Me and my boy were at a bit of a loose end so we decided to make the trip to Shrewsbury. All 30 miles of it :D .

The bus hasn't moved much this year due to us doing some fairly major house renovations, but after emptying her of a load of stuff that was being stored inside she fired up on the button (as always).

I gave her a quick wash and off we went. As there was only the two of us it was nice not to have mess about fitting roof racks, getting the awning loaded up etc, just a couple of sleeping bags and chairs and we were off.

On their web page it mentioned that there would be an early bay display so headed down to the arena to park up. When we got there they didn't seem to know what i was talking about and just parked us with the show and shine. No problem i thought until we got trapped in there by the show cars and had to stay until the end. Much to my surprise when the awards for the top five aircooled were announced we were called to the front to pick up our award :D .

A nice end to a good 24hour trip. The bus went great, gave us shelter from the rain, we slept in it, cooked and ate in it and then walked off with a trophy. Good old Gert.

markevo30 said:
A nice end to a good 24hour trip. The bus went great, gave us shelter from the rain, we slept in it, cooked and ate in it and then walked off with a trophy. Good old Gert.

Perfick :)

Hi all,

This is a bit of a trial run after using the photobucket fix from 67Westy. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75125&p=597968#p597968 for how to install it. I just installed the plug in and all of my pics have been restored.Brilliant :D .

The pic below (if it's there!) was attached using the 'Add image to post' just below where i'm writing this. No more photobucket for me.

Mark

Just got back from another lovely weekend at the Campout.

Lots of laughs ‘till the wee hours and lots of lovely buses.

The trip home was not without incident though. Wheel bearings I think.

a28fee6712f118672d79f366b172ab98.jpg

1b84b65a88c2f64c3378fae5e39642a9.jpg

7df830d1c61c9fa5f5c50721aad56ccf.jpg

2c06c98d18ca334ffbca282f510ded53.jpg

1f14777da89c036a780e31cb49118993.jpg

f21bd31ce7135005007fa31d8d0151ff.jpg

d9cdffacfeff34a5f547727a4aa64fd2.jpg

a771c894865531e237e3a15e12425a26.jpg

2154a367d46427e6d3ee43c044784dde.jpg

8cf14ed30dfd8d5c11271f539816ce99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great meeting you guys the other weekend. At least there were toilets where you got stranded.

From my previous post you can see that i've changed my wheels (again). Although i like the look of the 356 reps i've always fancied some Fuchs. The original idea was to try and gather a set of originals individually over time as buying a set is getting too expensive. I found out very quickly there are so many different types, sizes etc putting a set together would be extremely difficult. The only thing for it was to go down the replica route.

I went for a set of chrome SSPs in 5.5 x 15 all round and then set about detailing them.

The masking took a bout an hour for the first wheel and then got quicker as i went along. To get the line equal along the spokes and rim i just used a ruler with a bit of card taped to it double checking the line as i went.

Next was the scary bit. Taking red scotchbrite to your shiny new wheels ain't easy :shock:

Then on to paint. A couple of light coats of etch primer and then three of satin black.

All finished off with some proper Porsche centre caps.

markevo30 said:
Thanks. For me they had to be detailed so it was a case of taking a deep breath and going for it!!!!

Dont think i would have plucked up the courage to do it :msn4:

a1a538a59044d6da6763e738a0afdaa9.jpg

Started on the first bit of my winter tinkering. Air shocks all round with Limebug air management.

If time allows twin carbs and an exhaust will follow. Ict 34s are an obvious choice but what exhaust??? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Happy Christmas all [emoji268][emoji268][emoji268][emoji268][emoji268]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love your bus, it’s in my top 3 for LHD buses. Fuchs look ace, if you sell the 356 reps let me know.
As for exhaust, I’ve got a stainless 4-into-1 with single quiet pack from Cool Air, sold build quality and sounds nice, will give better flow and performance than a Vintage Speed. If you’re feeling flush, a CSP is a really nice choice.

SiDev said:
Love your bus, it’s in my top 3 for LHD buses. Fuchs look ace, if you sell the 356 reps let me know.
As for exhaust, I’ve got a stainless 4-into-1 with single quiet pack from Cool Air, sold build quality and sounds nice, will give better flow and performance than a Vintage Speed. If you’re feeling flush, a CSP is a really nice choice.

Thanks SiDev, i'm liking how she looks on the Fuchs too. Not sure what i'm doing with the 356 reps at the moment but i'll give you a shout if i decide to get rid.

I'll check out the exhaust you've mentioned. I must admit i like the look of the Vintage Speed but as i'm running a stock single port any increase in performance would be good and i don't think the VS will provide any.

Latest posts