1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assembled the sliding door hinge that keeps the door in the open position.

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

and while I was still in this house, on the last day of my staying, this package arrived:

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

... with a pair of these seals:

IMG_2979.jpg

in the meantime, I have already decided wich materials I'm going to use on top of the Dynamat.
This one will be my top layer:

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

... and I'm going to use a layer of this one in between:

IMG_2984.jpg

... in addition to this material I had already bought a few months ago:

IMG_2986.jpg

a few years ago I bought a 2K varnish for polished and aluminium parts. It was time to use it:

IMG_2987.jpg

... and these ones were already varnished:

IMG_2964.jpg

and this is the 2K varnish - november 2008:

jnar said:
(...)

a prep for polished and aluminium parts:

IMG_7382.jpg

... and after being well polished, a 2K varnish:

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

(...)

Other task we started was the interior:

IMG_2978.jpg

But there was almost everything to do, so I brought a lot of parts with me to Lisbon.
The plan was to fix, paint, mount everything and once near the bus again, just assemble everything in place without wasting time:

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

I had a lot to play with :mrgreen: .

a few months later I returned to Viseu. This time, the plan was to start assembling both suspensions.
First thing to do, was to check if I had everything needed. After gathering all the parts I had layed on the shelfs, plus all the other ones that I also have from other buses, and still complete to act as references (some are not mine but the real owner desn't want them :mrgreen: ) and with the help of both manuals I have, I started this huge task.

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

I feel great to assemble cleaned and freshly painted old parts as well as new ones. But one of the mistakes I did was painting some areas that shoudn't have any paint. However with the help of this small drill, I managed to clean them all:

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

With these areas free of paint, I managed to mount the bearings and dust seals:

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

... and the dust seal:

IMG_3143.jpg

With one hub assembled, I did the same to the other one:

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

I then applied all the screws to both hubs:

IMG_3125.jpg

I then grabbed my disc brakes and assembled them. However it was missing two small screws so I had to use two old ones:

IMG_3128.jpg

I then took the dropped spindles out from the box:

IMG_3129.jpg

... and with all the other small parts, I finished both sets:

IMG_3130.jpg

However, just to confirm if everything was in place, I mounted the brake callipers in place:

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

at the end, both sets were complete... or almost:

IMG_3144.jpg

--- but I then realized that I had some parts missing:

IMG_7410.jpg

However with these dropped spindles, I couldn't use them although they are usefull,
So I decided to make my owns. For that I needed help from Hugo:

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Looks very shiney and the job you are doing is very thorough - Well done :)

Thank you, Andy.... but I have to spent a a few hours reading yours... I will learn a lot more and you're doing all I need to do in a near future.

A few weeks later, I was able to do something else.
I took these small parts that I had already zinc coated and varnished, and inserted them into these new rubber seals....

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

.... and after I mounted them in their place:

IMG_3173.jpg

...and although it was missing one of the small clips:

IMG_3176.jpg

With at least one side complete, I was able to mount one lid:

IMG_3171.jpg

Since it was missing one small clip for the other side I wasn't able to mount the front mesh and grille. This task had to wait for another visit....
Another task I decided to begin was to mount the handbrake lever.
First, with the help of my manuals, I grabbed all the parts I would need:

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

With all the parts aside (although the spring in the picture wasn't the correct one)....

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

.... and with my wiper apparatus already cleaned, painted and in place, I manage to assemble most of it:

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

Before being able to mount my rear suspension, I needed to assemble these parts. A few years ago, I separated them after I sandblasted to remove all rust in between the two parts.
In the meantime, the small pin that is seen in this picture got lost. So, I needed to make a new one:

jnar said:
PB130202.jpg

afterall it's just a small pin....

PB130203.jpg

So, with the help of a lathe, I made a new one from a bolt:

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

I then decided to finish my dashboard. However, when I was assembling it I realized that one side of the padded rubber was faded. I don't know why this happened but I don't remember of it being like that.
For now, I decided to use this one but since I have another one, I guess I will change them, later on:

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Latest posts