1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking really nice in the new paint mate , Mine came from Portugal ( Coimbra ), and was a bit rough so nice to see a really tidy bus 8)

it's been awhile since my last post 8)

Grazy: I've already read your thread... ;)
Nice bus!

So, after taking my bus home, a few days later, André painted almost of the remaining parts.

front bumper:

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

... and the rear one:

DSC_0148.jpg

meanwhile, outside, there were already some more parts:

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

... while inside, André was finishing the other front door:

DSC_0149.jpg

a couple of hours later, there were some more parts already painted:

IMG_1802.jpg

and some more, where already ready to be sprayed with primer and painted:

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

and all parts ready for assembling:

IMG_1811.jpg

Now I just need time to start doing it.

However, it's now on hold indefinitely because I don't have any time to spend with it for the next months:

DSC_0194.jpg

8)
best regards from Lisbon, Portugal, to you all!
João

Very nice work on the spraying :D
Extra nice work on the youngster :mrgreen:

Jun 29, 2013??

wow.... it's been a loooong time since I've updated this topic!!
My daughter is already going to first grade next year (Year 2)... damm!! Time really does fly....

well, before I post anything else, just let me do something first!

PwHn.gif

:mrgreen:

The bus isn't ready yet and I'm still far from ending this saga... and, although 5 years have passed since my last post here, I didn't do as much as I wanted.
To be really honest, I thought it would be already on the road but things didn't run as fast and smooth as I planned.... well, I guess they rarely do!

So, a few months after having the bus inside the garage again, I decided I had to clean and organize it. There were parts and boxes with more parts scattered all over the place.
To be able to move inside, first thing I had to do, was to push the blue bus away and put this one in that free space. So, naturally, I start pushing the beige one.... until I heard a characteristic scratch-off sound.

How can someone be so stupid?? End result? First scratch on a fresh paint!!

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

I forgot that the blue bus still had a few pieces of the rear bumper in it......

Well done, mister!! ... what a great job!
:twisted:

:cry: .... I just hope we can fix this easily.

After pushing it into place, I lifted it up and put the small cart under it. That way, I could move it with ease, if needed.
After a couple of days, the place was in order.... well, more or less.

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Ouch - not a good start with the rebuild :(

Garage is looking good though - always makes it easier to work on.

Hello Andy... nice to "ear" from you.
These are some old pictures and the bus is slightly different just like the garage.
However, the scratch is still there....

I'm going to keep updating this topic, using some of my portuguese ones. It as been a while since I did it for the last time.
I will keep doing my best to keep my English grammar mistakes to a minimum aceptable as I've been doing.... although I'm not sure if I've been sucessfull in this particular task.
I guees this is all I got to offer to this forum, since I´ve been reading and learning a lot from it and giving nothing in return.... and I can also ask for help and not being a completelly outsider to everyone here.
So let me apologize in advance, if I'm (already) bothering you.

so, this is from September 2013:

A few days later, I returned to do something else in the bus.
(This house and the bus are 350km's from Lisbon, where I actually live)

Some 50km's from my final destination, there's this mountain called Caramulo (where's located a very important car museum - http://www.museu-caramulo.net/en). The great fires were just starting and as you can see, there were two completely opposed fire fronts. While firefighters where heading to one side of the mountain, arsonists where starting another front on the opposite side:

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

.. but, rotating 180º and looking to the opposite direction, this was happening in another mountain (Serra da Estrela) about 70km's away from where I was standing:

IMG_2345.jpg

A couple of km's down the road, one could see that the fire was spreading fast.....

IMG_2347.jpg

I spent some time at Hugo's bodyshop (where all the bodywork on the bus was made - as shown in the previous pages) and before going home, I decided to go to Viseu to buy some bolts and nuts (the biggest city in this area - Hugo's place is about 20km's away going south east and going North some 10km's is my house) and another big fire in the region was spreading this cloud of dark smoke over the city:

IMG_2357.jpg

... and once in my place, I realized that the fire causing that huge smoke cloud over Viseu was far more near my place than I've antecipated. The sky was dark as the start of a evening but It was only 16:30 pm in August:

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

:roll:

Once at home, I had some tasks I wanted to do although not all bus related. One was to fix this old windsurf board that I had broke a couple of weeks earlier when I hit on an underwater old cable:

prancha_01.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

... and while both parts were being glued with epoxy resin, I started cleaning the firts part I decided to mount on the bus (can't remember why this parts in particular but maybe because they had been the first I found when I decided cleaning and organize my garage a few days earlier:

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

While I was cleaning them, they started being with a polished appearance so I ended the task with that objective in mind:

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

... and as I liked the end result of these small parts, I decided doing the same to some other ones:

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Next day I went to Hugo's bodyshop again because he needed my help. On Caramulo mountain the fire was still out of control and it had spread along several areas.

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

Again at my house, a few hours later, the first tiny parts went to their final place as did the tailgate seal:

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

Another one, 6 years after being removed, also went to the bus. As the bus was on top of the small cart making the distance to the garage floor was even higher, I decided to use the aluminium step to turn the task of getting in and out of the bus, a litle easier.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Since there was some paint in excess on the jack mounts, preventing the step from being quite in place, I decided to keep it there anyway before removing the paint. I was still deciding if I should remove the paint or grind a litle the step brackets.

P.S. from today: I was going to regret this decision a few months later. :msn4:

Latest posts