South African 1969.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dames

Reaction score
My a new bus from gday kombis. Brought it blind on the strength of photos. It arrived this week and I am very happy with it.
1969 that had a water cooled conversion, late discs, wheels and rear lights. I have most of the parts to return it to standard.

Pretty good considering where it came from with all those manic drivers. :shock: :shock:
Looks like it had the old Ford Essex V6 conversion done possibly.
And the most surprising thing is that it still has the trim on the bumpers front and back. :shock: :lol:
Good luck with the build. Hope you enjoy.

J & P
:D :D :D

I have a panel van that has been at a garage for 2 years waiting for them to start a restoration I went up to see it and they haven't done a thing to it. The garage before that I waited 18 monthso on a waiting list for them to start then they stopped taking my calls! The money I had for the restoration I spent some on this ad it needs a lot less work. I have collected loads of parts for the panel project and some of those parts will end up on this bus.

I would have liked to keep it stock hight but getting it in the garage is a struggle. I have some ww drum spindles and will lower the rear 1 outer spline these should help plus I can fit the correct wheels. Found some commercial hub caps in original paint while rummaging in the garage I know these are not correct for this bus but will use them anyway.

Rear welding has now been done. Today with help it had new ball joints and a heavy duty anti roll bar fitted to the ww spindles. Rear brakes built up on new backing plates. Above pic is the new ride hight. Just enough to squeeze into the garage.

Rear welding has now been done. Today with help it had new ball joints and a heavy duty anti roll bar fitted to the ww spindles. Rear brakes built up on new backing plates. Above pic is the new ride hight. Just enough to squeeze into the garage.

dames said:

nice work, its looking a lot better now 8)

Not much progress but I fitted the middle seat I found on eBay and a radio that had been gathering dusthe in my garage for years! Not wired in but does look better than an empty hole! I have an m501 kit and a nice pair of 1/3 and 2/3 seats to fit so will be a 9 seater.

Great to see another South African Bay 👍🏻😎

My partner has a 1969 SA Bay, it was originally a Chruch mini bus, it still had the South African reg plates fitted when she bought it 😊

Shes got a cracker there mate, I wish mine was that clean. To be fair the only welding needed is to correct the water cooled conversion. Today I fitted a 6 rib gearbox when I find a moustache bar in will fit the engine and drive shafts. I am no mechanic and anything I do takes ages. I will get someone that knows what they are doing to look at the electrics. Is her hi-low switch floor mounted?

My south African with gearbox problems
d3be56e419aa8aaed3901eb36cd6fd5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Looks great Jamie.
The garage that was going to restore my panel van has contacted me to say I can collect it. Been with them 2 years and they haven't touched it!

This is how it looked when it left me!

Ooh can't wait to see the finished van

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sadly I don't think I will ever do this one now. It's a shame I collected some great parts for it but the the garage has messed me about for a full 2 years.
I have have imported cab doors,dog leg cuts seats, a rear hatch with window delete option.and more repair panels than I need.
Today it should be back with me and I can decide what to do with it when I see how it looks after all this time.
Buti on a positive note the mobile welder I have been using is coming Monday to make a start on the radiator hole. And I have got a support bar for the engine.

The cab floor had a hole cut in it for the radiator. I was going to prep for welding this up today but found some thin metal around the steps. Decided a complete cab floor replacement was the better option. Unfortunately I can't find a rhd klassic fab one so will be using a schofields panel.

Latest posts