Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the solidity, clean lines and Heath Robinson cardboard template considerations. Result? Great result. Nice to see the seats facing forwards and not at a 45 and a half degree angle pointing towards the next McDonalds 😉 Love the consistent progress (as per thread title).

graysummers said:
Love the solidity, clean lines and Heath Robinson cardboard template considerations. Result? Great result. Nice to see the seats facing forwards and not at a 45 and a half degree angle pointing towards the next McDonalds 😉 Love the consistent progress (as per thread title).
Thanks - Thats all I can do is baby steps :mrgreen:

Below is a picture of the old passenger side wheel tub - cut out the seat bracket (even though its not used in a Dormobile but will add it for completeness) and the bracket for the wheel jack:

20180715_171830_zps1zn86qgm.jpg

Here they are all cleaned and ready to be put in (measured several times).
Will look to do this sometime this week.

20180715_171822_zpsepc6sfjv.jpg

Cheers

Yesterday got everything out to weld the brackets to the wheel tub, helmet and gloves on. Pull the trigger and fizz - the weld was crap and straight away I new what it was - ran out of gas :(

Bought some gas today so removed the paint, added weld through primer and et voila, welded and the welds ground down.

20180717_181754_zpsoekz4zu7.jpg

A flash of primer and will eventually add some black:

20180717_183129_zpsr7m4yljx.jpg

New bolts and nuts bought so I can mount the seat to the wheel tub.
The more central holes already exist but the nearside holes don’t so had to drill through my new tubs - ouch:

20180717_185654_zpstavpftu5.jpg

20180717_185644_zpsawqmnlsb.jpg

And a view of the seat in - remember the cooker goes behind the passenger seat hence the seat being someway forward.

20180717_185636_zpsizmfhawf.jpg

(Oh and the hole in the seat :()

Cheers

Nice to see the upside. Bit of balance. Hole looks like seat’s laughing. Says....’Hey guys, we’re next’. Underneath is as great as ever as always. Now it’s upside show time. Upside? Well......it’s the bits people walking up to your bus will get first glimpse of. We know. You know. You’ll smile and think..’Look a bit further....built on solid rock’. I see one of those cardboard Heath Robinson templates. You weaving a cab carpet?

graysummers said:
Nice to see the upside. Bit of balance. Hole looks like seat’s laughing. Says....’Hey guys, we’re next’. Underneath is as great as ever as always. Now it’s upside show time. Upside? Well......it’s the bits people walking up to your bus will get first glimpse of. We know. You know. You’ll smile and think..’Look a bit further....built on solid rock’. I see one of those cardboard Heath Robinson templates. You weaving a cab carpet?

:lol:
Yes - have my loom out ready to make the carpets ;)
Still undecided on the paint so moved on to finishing off another project (building a new turntable for my HiFi!)

I’ve got my brothers middle range 1970s turntable in the attic still. Hoping nothing has ‘time’ perished. Nice piece of kit though and need to build around it. Vinyl gets played in my house, but on a modern turntable linked to a multicentre radio, cassette, cd thingy. Nice to hear you’re listening to vinyl with high quality sound production. If the carpets are a success I’ll order a set from you. Lime green, cardboard backed (you seem to have plenty of it) and to the finished standard of Tom and Barbara’s efforts from the Good Life. 😉

Never been without a turntable - have about 5 (why??) at the moment, but 2 are work in progress (1 almost done and will shove a pic up when completed).
Regarding the finish standard of my carpet, will probably be to Tom and Barb's standard.........my neighbours are just like the Leadbetters :)

Here is the rebuilt TT.
Replinthed and a fresh coat of paint.
Just needs a few finishing touches and will b ready to spin again!

20180720_184851_zpszlnkc7w8.jpg

That truly is the business. Love the look. I’m not a technophile, so can’t spot specifics. But that balance thingy at the back is similar to my brother’s, and like your’s, his/mines got numbers and stuff all over it. Metal and heavy made but the simplest adjustment making the needle jump off the vinyl with the slightest of movements in the room. Gonna look at it again soon as can as. Need a decent amplifier and speakers though. My band put out a single in the early 80s. My aim is to play that one first on it as an initiation exercise. Great natural eco looking plinth you’ve got there.

Love the vinyl player, used one all the time growing up.
The weight thing got lost so a few of the local coins used fore and aft did the job. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice to see the proper sounds coming back around. Nice job , looks really stable .
Am trying to find myself an old B&O if I can that won't cost a fortune. :shock: :shock: Just the deck.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks for you positive comments gents :)
Oh and both be careful with your turntables - can't beat the sound for my ears ;)

Quick question.
The tube for the clutch cable. Can anyone share the exact route. From the rear I am OK but where should it exit at the front?

A picture:
The is from front to back (right hand drive van) so electric cable on the left?

20180801_200431_zpsuornlz9d.jpg

From the rear.
20180801_200326_zpstbbld4fl.jpg

Clutch cable tube in this picture put in roughly and in the centre.

Don’t know the location but found these two links

http://www.vw-resource.com/bowden_tube.html

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqbwdn.htm

Haven’t read them properly yet. But may help.Probably will read them and find they’re not really appropriate. 🤔

Latest posts