5 day awning - well did it in 3 hours lol

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
Well set myself a daft challenge.

After being at a local car show on sunday, a local VW guy Bob, showed me his awesome split awning setup, with the bumpers supporting the overall structure.

With a local mini show next weekend at Tynemouth, I want to see if I can make something similar in 5 days from scratch.

RgQ5f0S.jpg

O8tzWen.jpg

After a quick think, (and thinking what I can source at short notice) Im thinking 4ft broom handles, joined together with metal tube clamps and wing nuts, then using the same ikea fabric I have for curtains for the roof. It doesnt have to be waterproof, purely for the sun.

Watch this space!

Im gonna just do roof at present. If it works well, Ill do side curtains as well at a later date

I should add I work full time 7.30-3.30 and have to look after out little'un till 7pm :D every day

Cool awning, good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Well had an hour last night, so went to screwfix and picked up some electrical conduit parts, and popped in ikea for some fabric

hE7GeGW.jpg

dG2d1Zk.jpg

I've temporarily scrapped the wood idea and I'm gonna see how the plastic stands up. It seems to be ok for the roof frame, but I might use aluminium or wood for the two main supports. The electrical conduit goes together like an 80's wendy house.

ThUxTBj.jpg

This is just mocked up with an old dust sheet, but once tied to the bumpers and the roof it seems fairly sturdy

6PcjhKy.jpg

I suppose the real test is when the proper fabric is put in, as its a little heavier, and some real wind to test lol.

I'm gonna try and get the roof stitched together tonight if I have time. Its not just a case of cutting it out, needs stitched together so its the same pattern on both sides and ends are stitched together inside out for strength.

In the short term Ill just use clamps to attach it, but Ill put some rings in it to tie it down properly if the whole plan works.

Total spend so far £25.

Well day 2 and first version is finished. Stitched together the canopy (surprisingly quick, but it is simple) and bolt/wingnut'ed the frame together.

ttrEhxP.jpg

tfogHJo.jpg

32um6om.jpg

Ive tried bending and pulling on it to simulate some wind :lol: It seems to hold alright. I guess the real proof will be at the weekend at a mini show in Tynemouth.

I have had to concede defeat by adding 1 centre pole which touches the ground, the other two are fixed to the bumpers. So at least I can use it on hard standing, Ill weight the one pole down.

Anyway Ill test it out, if it works ok, maybe over the winter Ill make an aluminium tube version, and fit eyelets to the fabric to tie down properly rather than use clamps.

Looking good (if a bit Heath Robinson-esque ;))
Take it bows and that's why you need the middle leg?

gninnam said:
Looking good (if a bit Heath Robinson-esque ;))
Take it bows and that's why you need the middle leg?

Yes it is a bit lol

Yes middle leg for bow

Im gonna make an aluminium version over the winter and replace the clamps with eyelets so improve the appearance :)

Looks a bit 'market trader' at present lol

Great material. Very Mary Quant. I’ve got one of those extending telescopic aluminium fruit pickers you use to get apples from high up in the trees. Bit expensive maybe, but may be an option. They’re collapsible and therefore easy to store.

Latest posts