XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am Andy. Been a long time since I got behind the wheel with it being SORN status for a few years before restoring started. What’ll start when the bus is back in my care, will be the routine checking processes, becoming more expert in inherent technical, mechanical knowledge and the learning about the whole machinations of what owning a bus and, as Muir says, keeping it alive by knowing what’s involved top to bottom, front to back. I’ve said before on here, but it was my daily ride from the first day I bought the bus. It’s going to be the same again. So, a lot of miles ahead.

Seems like the underside of your bus is rocking along nicely. All that preparation, care in appropriate paint application and oven baked paint parts looks like it’ll altogether keep the metal safe for quite a while. Thanks for dropping by.

Hi Gareth. Still not been to the new workshop. Looks really tidy and comfortable though on the photographs. His email says he is at the final stage now. So, yeh, yours next. Exciting. Been a bit longer but the workshop move had put his schedule out.

Gjb4212 said:
VW buses weren’t built in a day!

That’s why they’re still around. To be honest, it has been great to see every step of the way involve applied thought and consideration. That phrase “If you’re going to do something....Do it right the first time”. Very apt. Cheers.

I know this is a bit random, but has anyone seen this site before? This is so insightful. I see people on various blogs on here talk, discuss and ask for answers of what’s wrong when hearing a clunk, squeal, bag of bones/nails sound or a simple ‘can’t dance to it other than pogo up and down’ engine rhythm that has the bish, bash, bosh of Anarchy punk music. Read the copywright information and am aware of linking only to this main page. See below.

https://www.ratwell.com/mirror/Muir/Muir.html

I’ve recently uploaded photographs of the Devon pop top that has been renovated. With interest, I read about the roof blowing upwards in high winds (Ozzie and his Severn Bridge experience). I’m currently looking for suitable hold down toggles/catches to keep it rock solid over the high hills surrounding where I live. Ozzie (our Ozzie) and Paul (renovating the bus) have given pointers. I’ve been looking at all sorts. I found some really old photographs of when I bought it from ebay. Ozzie identified it as an Early. His is a late. So is Paul’s van. Wondering if any of you guys/girls have fasteners that are robust on your pop top early Devon. Below. Some pics before, during and after renovation. All a bit mixed up due to upload weirdness.

Just took receipt of this gear shift knob. Lovely quality work. Great price too. £13 including postage. Really nice guy to deal with. South of my place here in Wales. Also, we have electric. And we can let some air in up top with the Devon skylight. More photos hopefully soon. It’s that twisting of fingers and thumbs time. Angst and the waiting game. All that recent sunshine too. Ah well. Never mind. 😎 Positive thinking. At least we have HAD sunshine. But....Just want to see the finished bus now.

Wow! Major work gone into this bus. Respect👍🏼

Major work done by the guy Paul who’s stripped, repaired and renovated my bus. My input? Hunting down the parts needed for the rebuild from tons of sources. Spent hours and hours, probably days/weeks adding it all up, hunting for what’s needed from direction and guidance of Paul. Also, I’ve been reading into every aspect of a VeeDub make up in order to understand the processes and machinations. Won’t really get my hands dirty again until I get her back. Used to do stuff, but the enormity of the task needed to rebuild was far too out my skill set. So....the skills are all Paul's. My input still continues with......Adding to and Buying all and sundry (yes it’s a human involvement expression but the bus is named Billy 😉), parts from everywhere. Been lucky and got second hand original VW bargains. Otherwise, been spending full whack for the quality new bits. Yours is looking pretty awesome. Thanks for dropping by.

gninnam said:
I think I am almost as excited as you :)

It’s good to have your and the other members’ support. It matters. Be good to sit above the wheels again. Still intend to drive the bus everyday. Then....the little tweaks, improvements and considerations begin. At present the bus is as solid as solid. And Paul’s fine tuning the engine. Sterling job. Cheers Andy.

Latest from Paul. Prepping for final paint. Spotted the louvre/jalousie too.

Just bought a child’s bunk too. It’s Westfalia, but great for storage at end of day. May be OK for the smaller grandkids. Wait and see. Suits my future internal colour considerations.

Hi Nick. Sure looking forward to sitting in front of that engine sound again. As soon as settled with a few local runs, will be visiting my family in Coventry. Take my Dad out for a visit to his local haunts he used to do in his T25. That involves passing through your village. You may spot the old girl. Or, I may spot your bus! Never know. Small village, but not that small! 👍

Latest posts