Another Dormobile restoration :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of pics from the weekend. Engine lid and rear hatch on with seals and locks etc, all engine bay wiring and fuel lines done, heat exchangers connected. Started showing up bumpers.

Bit of an after and before of the engine bay !

Also put down a bit of spare laminate I had knocking around to make my workshop side of the garage more user friendly! :lol:

This week, I am rebuilding doors and finishing off electrics.

Had tried to renew rubbers in my opening cab quarter lights. Had a nightmare getting the glass back into the chrome frame and seem really distorted now so in the interest of time have gone for these new fixed ones from Autocraft Engineering. Still a bit of a git to get together but nice quality and one built now and ready to go in.

Such a great build thread and hoping that 2017 is the year!

Well, I've found my new most hated job on the van!! Getting door felt channel in! Clips just puckered up the rubber and left little tight spots up the channel window moves but quite stiff so may need to look at again. Quarter light went in surprisingly easily, as did inner scraper once is got the knack with some mini bent needle nose pliers!

Locks to finish then pics to follow.

And my new exhaust arrived as the one I had originally bought won't fit :oops:

Drivers door built and fitted. Second time lucky on the build! Some things I learnt:
- you have to fit the door lock mechanism before the windows as the guide channel is in the way
- if you fit the guide and the quarterlight fully, you then can't get the window in to the guide channels. You have to catch it as you wiggle the quarterlight in
- felt channels, just because they have right part ref. do not necessarily fit! The ones in the seal kit I bought measured 17mm whereas the clips are about 13.5mm wide. F***ed the clips and door a little trying to get them in. After some research, I bought this (http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1023-window-channel.aspx) from woolies trim which is a much better fit, 1/3 of the price of 'genuine' stuff and made the job 100x easier.

I'll hopefully take some build pictures as I build the passenger door.

Tonight's project...

I was never 100% comfortable or confident with the documentation that came with the rapidfit loom so have started to try and convert it into a wiring diagram. Few bits I still need to sort out... particularly the wipers where even the vw ones seem to contradict each other. One for a technical post!

Another year...wow!!

But she's a runner!

[vimeo]276516991[/vimeo]

Had a nightmare, dropping a bit of the fuel pump stand into the engine, so new engine from the VW Engine Co and a massive thank you to Mike from Wayoutwestie for coming and getting the old engine out and the new one back in amongst other jobs.

Also fitted the headliner (work in progress pic)

And got the screen fitted:

MOT this year and aiming to be at Brighton breeze!

Spent a bit of time tidying up the engine wiring, and painting bits and bobs to go back on.

Also added some sound deadening, dynax rust prevention and insulation to the side behind where the main cupboard goes ready to get that refitted.

A good weekend on it got the interior part in, 2 windows fitted in the roof, rear bump stops trimmed and plate removed on one side to give travel, and rear wheels fitted. Pics to follow!

Locks currently off being sorted by C&C.

Getting there slowly but surely!

Looking sweet mate, I’ve got to take out my Dormobile long unit soon, how was yours fixed in and does it sit on the ply floor or directly onto the cargo floor?

Thanks dude.

It's next on my list to remember that!! I wrote down where all the mounting points were when I took the units out so need to dig out that bit of paper!

They were mounted directly on the cargo floor with the ply floor fitted around so that is what I am doing.

That's the same as mine then from what I quickly saw, it's just getting a couple of weeks where I'm not away at the moment to get it all out, sorted and then back in. Always something.....

Still failing with pics but remaining two windows in and roof fully fitted so now watertight. Canvas ordered.

Also got the rear bumper sprayed and on.

Locks back from C&C and refitted, so all on one key and a spare ignition key!

Couple of electrical gremlins to sort then it might be MOT time :msn4: maybe

Really really must get some pics taken! But....MOT is booked and Brighton Breeze ticket purchased. Everything crossed!!

Latest posts