Early Cross-Over rear arch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool71

Reaction score
I put a question out on the technical thread but thought i'd show you how i'm trying to replicate the early cross-over rear arch. I could have put a the late style arch on but would have needed to fit a late arch on the nearside to match.

Rear off-side arch was corroded along the edge and the rear spat had a considerable hole caused by a rotten battery tray. Rear corner had corroded along the battery tray spot welds and the trailing edge wheel tub bottom had a fair amount of metal missing.

Inner wheel arch was repaired and outer arch cut away, all fairly standard stuff.

DSC_0691 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0684 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0692 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0679 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Corrosion in rear corner cut out and replaced with small repair patches that i'd rolled out to the correct radius.

DSC_0697 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0701 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0705 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0716 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Battery tray installed, used Heritages correct fit tray that fitted great.

DSC_0729 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0730 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0731 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Next is the rear arch, the only 2 currently on teh market are advertised as Early (67-70) and late (71-79). The problem is that some late 70' and early 71' vans were fitted with a flared, rounded arch. from a way back they look like late arches but on closer inspection have a radius instead of the late squared off arch. You can see the difference in the profiles here

Late on top and early below:

DSC_0749 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

I cut a relief cut along the fold connected to the flare of the arch and with a hammer and dolly slowly shaped the arch into a radius

DSC_0751 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0753 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0754 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0759 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0760 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0763 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0766 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

DSC_0768 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Will need some minor adjustments to minimise filler but for 4 hours work its beginning to take shape. I will trim the arch down to size and weld it into place but it can be done!

Andy

Well it’s one thing talking about shapes and describing them and expecting people to understand what you’re talking about , then it’s another thing if peeps actually get it. Showing the real shapes with a gauge is about as good as it gets, so we can all understand where you’re coming from. I’m guessing the shape came from the other side perhaps? So there are three different arches that we know of. Some of the changes came on these buses almost on a monthly basis as they progressed, some for ease of production of both parts and busses I guess plus they were continually trying to make them a viable sales proposition.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, looks good, very good. :mrgreen:

That's a real nice piece of workmanship. I have the flared arches too. I just did what I could with a 72 panel then filled the rest lol.

Looks OK but not the best way

Nice work 👍
I have the same style arches, luckily I only had to repair just up to the flare with a late arch, so it blended quite well.

Would be nice if this style of arch was available to buy, being a small run needed I can't see anyone investing time and money in tooling though.

So far it hasn't been a bad job to do, the worst part of it so far was putting the cutting disc to a £175 panel! Luckily the nearside only needs a small repair and then it's onto the front deformation panel.

I can highly recommend KlassicFab panels! the gauge is perfect and you can tell they are hand finished. Autocraft early arches looked spot on but they don't make the later arch style.

I'm back down the workshop tomorrow so will update the images

Nice work, pity we can't see the earlier pics. :(

I'm the opposite, I'm in the garage when its cold and wet outside and on the bike when its sunny.

Whilst removing the rear facing buddy seat found a box of matches from the vans U.S days

IMG_0775 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

IMG_0774 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Only had time today to prep and prime the step and sliding door runner.

IMG_0811 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Need to apply some stopper now for a few pin-holes and its ready for a final couple of coats of primer and then top coat

Andy

Some little side projects going on whilst i wait for some new parts for the compressor.

Been removing and making new interior birch ply panels. Originals did not look too bad with the furniture in but with the van gutted they needed doing.

IMG_0778 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Unfortunately I could not get the size of sheet i needed locally for the grain to be correct with the original so had to compromise with just that panel. I got some strange looks at the timber yard trying to get them in the back of the volvo but luckily 4mm ply is flexible.

IMG_1048 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

IMG_1050 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

IMG_1031 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

IMG_1014 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Gave them 3 coats of danish oil and 2 coats of wax to seal them

Also the repro westy vinyl turned up so getting new ply flooring supplied as the originals have passed it. Floor is made up in 2 parts, a 10mm base layer with a 6mm layer of ply with the vinyl attacked. 10ft x 5ft sheets are needed for both these panels.

IMG_1052 by Andy Bright, on Flickr

IMG_0992[1] by Andy Bright, on Flickr

Andy

Latest posts