Lola - My lovely 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btonbus

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum since before I bought my first bay a month ago, but thought now was the time to get involved! So hi!

A month into ownership I've already fallen in love with driving my bay and tinkering around, as well as putting my own little touches on her and making her my own. She's a 1600 '72 crossover with a custom interior created by the previous owner who was a joiner.

She's in generally very good condition, and structurally sound. That's not to say that there hasn't been some work to do already... In fact, she broke down two weeks after buying her... on the M25! Turns out a dodgy earth lead cut power to the engine. Having fixed that, she seems to be running really well and is (hopefully) ready for a three week trip to France on Monday.

So far I've done the following:

- New plugs, engine oil, filter oil, battery
- Timing and idle sorted
- Replaced carb air intake pipe
- Replaced oil breather hose with correct type
- Replaced hot air intake pipe
- New Blazecut fire suppression unit
- New Android stereo system with 7" fold out screen, WiFi and GPS
- Replacement cab light
- Bottle opener for beers :D
- Simple decorations like LED lanterns and stickers
- New leisure battery and electrics being sorted today to get the fridge and sink pump working
- Fixed up a non-working gas hob

I also bought some bling - a new Aircooled Accessories steering wheel, parking brake handle and eyelids arrived today :)

V8Od-bezMRnxent_VC1rVGopq0XWTMJn0Uwzh5rJ5LXAb3cD11dY3zk7yKVPBA-_1RuCkgc5n-G-yA=w3360-h1862-rw

AGZkvRoN0utOTkXF8dI5Gv2x6UW52y5ALkgfh7_goUU8sD-9bUhwfXRAxK3NsLK2gE3m47GjrN2MEg=w3360-h1862-rw

PB7tK5JhWL9RgNrf2PyXduutP6emsb24TcLqJVeAblDwqWViYQYoz69JOus_xHOUMji4oEIqCveteA=w3360-h1862-rw

btonbus said:
Hi all!

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum since before I bought my first bay a month ago, but thought now was the time to get involved! So hi!

A month into ownership I've already fallen in love with driving my bay and tinkering around, as well as putting my own little touches on her and making her my own. She's a 1600 '72 crossover with a custom interior created by the previous owner who was a joiner.

She's in generally very good condition, and structurally sound. That's not to say that there hasn't been some work to do already... In fact, she broke down two weeks after buying her... on the M25! Turns out a dodgy earth lead cut power to the engine. Having fixed that, she seems to be running really well and is (hopefully) ready for a three week trip to France on Monday.

- Timing and idle sorted
- Replacement cab light
- New leisure battery and electrics being sorted today to get the fridge and sink pump working

I also bought some bling - a new Aircooled Accessories steering wheel, parking brake handle and eyelids arrived today :)

V8Od-bezMRnxent_VC1rVGopq0XWTMJn0Uwzh5rJ5LXAb3cD11dY3zk7yKVPBA-_1RuCkgc5n-G-yA=w3360-h1862-rw

AGZkvRoN0utOTkXF8dI5Gv2x6UW52y5ALkgfh7_goUU8sD-9bUhwfXRAxK3NsLK2gE3m47GjrN2MEg=w3360-h1862-rw

PB7tK5JhWL9RgNrf2PyXduutP6emsb24TcLqJVeAblDwqWViYQYoz69JOus_xHOUMji4oEIqCveteA=w3360-h1862-rw
The pictures don’t show for me

Love to see your Crossover. Uploading photos can be a bit of a hit and miss until you get the right system. You sound very keen and excited. All the best and really pleased you got one of the beautiful beasties finally. And a lovely Crossover too 👍

btonbus said:
Hi all!

- Timing and idle sorted
- Replacement cab light

Looking forward to seeing the pics ... I use the forum via Tapatalk ... uploads work a treat via the app [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, that's a bit of a fail sorry! I've been driving down through France and just arrived at Montpellier in the South, so haven't checked the forum since I posted...

All has been going well but now I can hear some kind of knocking after a few hours on the motorway today, not sure where it's coming from but I hope it's nothing serious because I'm a long way from home...

Re. Knocking noise..... Have u checked the wardrobe? Could be a stowaway, Montpellier would be an attractive destination for stowaways (to get away from this accursed heat in the UK)

If u think we can help we probably need a better description

Latest posts